Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

3G Dongle Internet, Voda allows VOIP, does Carrefour or any others?

3G Dongle Internet, Voda allows VOIP, does Carrefour or any others?

Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

werlynne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3G Dongle Internet, Voda allows VOIP, does Carrefour or any others?

I have the 3G Voda dongle, if I top up with the 2Gb nearly 40Euro PAYG top up I can use VOIP or Skype with the dongle, I believe that Carrefour have a 3Gb top up which is much less expensive and gives a 3GB rather than 2Gb allowance. The question if I change is, Voda allows VOIP and Skype, does Carrefour or any others. If anyone has a better value option I would love to hear about it please?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3G Dongle Internet, Voda allows VOIP, does Carrefour or any others?

I only have the 1 euro/day Carrefour dongle and occasionally Skype with that (audio only as limited to 100mb per day). I assume all their tariffs will allow Skype providing you have enough capacity.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by werlynne
I have the 3G Voda dongle, if I top up with the 2Gb nearly 40Euro PAYG top up I can use VOIP or Skype with the dongle, I believe that Carrefour have a 3Gb top up which is much less expensive and gives a 3GB rather than 2Gb allowance. The question if I change is, Voda allows VOIP and Skype, does Carrefour or any others. If anyone has a better value option I would love to hear about it please?
Masmovil have 5gb for 29.90 per month you can use skype with them. However you may find your dongle is locked to vodafone and both masmovil and carrefour use orange as a provider so you may have to get the dongle unlocked.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guys, can I thank you both for your replies. I only want a true PAYG service thats why I like the sound of Carrefour, MAS movil want my bank details etc and I do not want that sort of service.
Johnnyone, when you got the Carrefour dongle does it have an aerial socket, I am in the campo and I find that an external plugged in antenna greatly increases reception?
I really appreciate your help.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Johnnyone, when you got the Carrefour dongle does it have an aerial socket, I am in the campo and I find that an external plugged in antenna greatly increases reception?
I do not have the dongle to hand as I am in the UK at the moment, however I do not think it has an external socket.
If it's any help the service is provided through Orange and they may be able to tell you your signal strength where you are. If you post the area you are in other members in the area may post with their experience of getting the internet.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys, can I thank you both for your replies. I only want a true PAYG service thats why I like the sound of Carrefour, MAS movil want my bank details etc and I do not want that sort of service.
I really appreciate your help.
Originally Posted by johnnyone
I do not have the dongle to hand as I am in the UK at the moment, however I do not think it has an external socket.
If it's any help the service is provided through Orange and they may be able to tell you your signal strength where you are. If you post the area you are in other members in the area may post with their experience of getting the internet.
I went with Carrefour PAYG a year ago.
The dongle in my hand does not have an external aerial connection, it is a HUAWEI E1550.
However you could use any unlocked dongle of your choice
Old Jul 1st 2012, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is one thing with Masmovil re the bank details. I just have the pay as you go with them as I only visit now and again, they top up automaticaly when my credit drops to 5 Euro by 5 Euro. Always worked fine no spurious transfers or anything. Last time I was out I had a problem as I had got a new debit card and obviously when it came to top up wrong number so no top off. I was confused for about 2 days why my dongle would connect then immediately disconnect, then it came to me why DRRRRRRRRRRR. Sorted out very quicky mind by a phone call from pay phone very good English speaking operator. It has worked fine for me for 2 years now apart from this incident which was my fault, I really only use for Skyping the wife.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just one other thing that I did as signal not great where our house is. You can get off E Bay a wireless router for a dongle. You put the dongle in the wireless thing and put it where you can get a decent signal then just use computer anywhere like a normal wireless system. Only thing is not all Dongles are compatible with the wireless unit so you need to check that. I think I paid £20 for the wireless router part I have seen them with dongle and wireless unit advertised for around £30. It may just be of use to you re poor signal. This is the sort of thing I am talking about (there are various different types if you search) http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/Huawei-Tec...reless_Routers
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is the one I have however it was unlocked when I got it so works with any dongle the dongle I have is also unlocked, like I say works fine for me. http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1808...and-share-dock
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help, it seems great minds think alike, a friend has set up the dongle with a 3G router for me as Bob advised! I am looking at the Carrefour dongle as it is less expensive to recharge and gives more GB.
Your advice will help me change from Voda with less problems!!