Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 27th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Originally Posted by agoreira
Funnily enough we stayed there last week, and I see a Brit bar had closed! Chatting to the locals, they all seemed to reckon things were fairly quiet, trade has taken a big hit, certainly we saw bars closing early in the evenings through lack of customers. Saw another with drinks €1 on certain nights, and meals at €5. The owner of another restaurant joined us for a drink in a bar as he had no customers. There is a Brit bar in the village but never went there, so no idea how they are faring. We did pop down one evening to Nerja, and that seemed to be buzzing with visitors. We finished up with a few days in Málaga, and that was jumping, all the posh fish restaurants, marisquerias etc were still doing great business.
I knew we could only be in Spain when a huge motorway roadside sign proclaimed, "Legaliza tu casa" And a guy with his 2/3 year old daughter stood up on his scooter, no crash hats, coming down a one way street the wrong way. Followed by the Policial Local, driving one handed, mobile in the other. You couldn't make it up!
I go to Nerja every few weeks and it seems busier this year to me than it has for the previous few years, and Malaga certainly is now that they have so many cruise ships coming into port (although how much money the visitors spend in their limited time ashore, I don't know). Strange how two places as close together as Frigiliana and Nerja are can be faring so differently during the recession.
Old May 27th 2012, 3:07 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Strange how two places as close together as Frigiliana and Nerja are can be faring so differently during the recession.
I don't know the geography involved, so correct me if I'm wrong, but could it be there are only numbers to keep one resort in that area busy at night, and people in the area flock to one place knowing that? A similar principle to when you walk down a street looking for a restaurant and you see one with a few customers and another restaurant as yet empty - most people will then go in the restaurant with existing customers.
Old May 27th 2012, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I go to Nerja every few weeks and it seems busier this year to me than it has for the previous few years, and Malaga certainly is now that they have so many cruise ships coming into port (although how much money the visitors spend in their limited time ashore, I don't know). Strange how two places as close together as Frigiliana and Nerja are can be faring so differently during the recession.
I think Frigiliana does OK during the day with coachloads of visitors, but in the evenings most head back down to the coast. I think it caters for a different type of tourist, the majority seem to want the nightlife on offer on the coast. In Málaga there were a couple of decent size cruise ships in, so yes, that probably helps. I think they have done a good job with Muelle Uno, quite impressive.
Old May 27th 2012, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I don't know the geography involved, so correct me if I'm wrong, but could it be there are only numbers to keep one resort in that area busy at night, and people in the area flock to one place knowing that? A similar principle to when you walk down a street looking for a restaurant and you see one with a few customers and another restaurant as yet empty - most people will then go in the restaurant with existing customers.

I think Frigiliana does OK during the day with coachloads of visitors, but in the evenings most head back down to the coast. I think it caters for a different type of tourist, the majority seem to want the nightlife on offer on the coast. In Málaga there were a couple of decent size cruise ships in, so yes, that probably helps. I think they have done a good job with Muelle Uno, quite impressive.
Well Nerja is coastal and Frigiliana inland, as Agoreira said, so I don't think there's much comparison. As to cruise ships - well when Malaga wakes up to making the most of those that are in on Sundays................. and as for Muelle Uno? Ok I did walk that area extensively last summer and have observed it being developed but have I heard of it until today? Nope. Have I heard anyone at 10yo's school speak of it? Nope. I suspect it will be a while before it takes off. Unless it already has and I'm simply behind the times - not that unlikely
Old May 27th 2012, 3:35 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should mention Muelle Uno, was due to open in December when we were around and it all ended in fiasco when the police closed it down as it didn't have the opening licence and er..wasn't exactly finished.

Muelle Uno has been in the news this week for the wrong reasons. The developer/promotor owes 5 million euros to small companies and tradesmen and they have been protesting there this week.

http://www.diariosur.es/v/20120527/m...-20120527.html
Old May 27th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Well Nerja is coastal and Frigiliana inland, as Agoreira said, so I don't think there's much comparison. As to cruise ships - well when Malaga wakes up to making the most of those that are in on Sundays................. and as for Muelle Uno? Ok I did walk that area extensively last summer and have observed it being developed but have I heard of it until today? Nope. Have I heard anyone at 10yo's school speak of it? Nope. I suspect it will be a while before it takes off. Unless it already has and I'm simply behind the times - not that unlikely
We met someone who used to live near us but moved further inland the other day, and he was saying how nice Muelle Uno is, funnily enough. We have said we must make a point of going down there the next time we are in Malaga.

I do think they are really missing a trick by not having more places open in Malaga on Sundays for the cruise ship visitors, you would think that in the current economic situation even workers who would like the time off to spend with their families would be more concerned to safeguard their jobs.
Old May 27th 2012, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Funny you should mention Muelle Uno, was due to open in December when we were around and it all ended in fiasco when the police closed it down as it didn't have the opening licence and er..wasn't exactly finished.
Muelle Uno has been in the news this week for the wrong reasons. The developer/promotor owes 5 million euros to small companies and tradesmen and they have been protesting there this week.
http://www.diariosur.es/v/20120527/m...-20120527.html
Yes, but that goes with the territory in Spain, there always seems to be some sort of scandal, some sort of delay! I just thought it looked a decent job. As fionamw says, it's not well known yet, and it was morning when we went down there, and very quiet, most bars/restaurants were only just opening. No idea what it's like in the evenings.
Old May 27th 2012, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but that goes with the territory in Spain, there always seems to be some sort of scandal, some sort of delay! I just thought it looked a decent job. As fionamw says, it's not well known yet, and it was morning when we went down there, and very quiet, most bars/restaurants were only just opening. No idea what it's like in the evenings.
OK no actual people visible, but spectacular all the same! Since it's not my pic I should credit Tapas in Malaga, a FB friend!
Attached Thumbnails 34% of ex pats want to sell up??-muelle-uno.jpg  
Old May 27th 2012, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK no actual people visible, but spectacular all the same! Since it's not my pic I should credit Tapas in Malaga, a FB friend!
That view is taken with all the bars and restaurants behind you, that's just one of the approaches to the area in the photo. I took a lot of photos there, but not many people in those either! Muelle Uno is on FB

Last edited by agoreira; May 27th 2012 at 6:02 pm.
Old May 27th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That view is taken with all the bars and restaurants behind you, that's just one of the approaches to the area in the photo. I took a lot of photos there, but not many people in those either! Muelle Uno is on FB
Indeed loads of stuff at Muelle Uno on FB now I've looked!

Sorry anyone not anywhere near Malaga......
Old May 27th 2012, 6:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Bit more gloom re. buying and selling. Courtesy of mark on SPI.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...is-homes-crash
Old May 27th 2012, 6:24 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived down that way, over 20 tears ago now, Nerja was built up for the Brits and Torrox for the Germans. Either nationality looking for 'real' Spain went to Frigliana or Competa, not far away but difficult to get to then.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

My most evocative memory of Spain is that. Sat on our family boat with the lights and sounds of the marina around us.

Just thought I would share.
Old May 27th 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
well the one which wakes me up every morning definitely crows cock-a-doodle-do
Only in a morning?
The one near me crows all times of the day and night!
Old May 28th 2012, 7:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Only in a morning?
The one near me crows all times of the day and night!
I could hear a local rousing the flock at 4.15 this morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.