Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

33 From Manchester UK 🇬🇧 want to move to Spain!

33 From Manchester UK 🇬🇧 want to move to Spain!

Old Jan 26th 2021, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 33 From Manchester UK 🇬🇧 want to move to Spain!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If it's so easy then perhaps you could give the OP some answers to their questions
Didn’t say it was easy. Just saying it’s not impossible. When Travel restrictions ease I think everyone will have a better idea.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 26th 2021 at 7:09 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Jan 26th 2021, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
There are so many undocumented British expats who float in and out willy nilly of Spain. In fact there are more undocumented expats than official expats. Denying them would would have an massive affect on the Spanish economy at a time when they need foreign investment more than ever. Places like Portugal will just become the number one spot for Brits instead.
What you say was very true pre January and yes it was very easy to stay under the radar. Some may well continue to get away with their undercover lifestyle but if once these restrictions are lifted they visit the UK then on return their passport will be stamped and the Schengen clock starts ticking for them. I don't know the implications of that and I guess neither do you? Will Spain enforce the rules? If so how? As for Such people keeping the Spanish economy going? Personally I think Spain would rather have the tax due that such people avoid. Its not doom and gloom but the forum simply explains the pros and cons of the legitimate and legal way of moving to Spain. What you or others choose to do is your concern.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
What you say was very true pre January and yes it was very easy to stay under the radar. Some may well continue to get away with their undercover lifestyle but if once these restrictions are lifted they visit the UK then on return their passport will be stamped and the Schengen clock starts ticking for them. I don't know the implications of that and I guess neither do you? Will Spain enforce the rules? If so how? As for Such people keeping the Spanish economy going? Personally I think Spain would rather have the tax due that such people avoid. Its not doom and gloom but the forum simply explains the pros and cons of the legitimate and legal way of moving to Spain. What you or others choose to do is your concern.
People I know there pay tax. Also pay agency fees on properties. Eat out everyday propping up up Spanish business. If they get expelled it will be felt. This day and age people are working from home online networking. With cheaper rent and a better life style spain would be an ideal base for this new generation of younger expats. It’s up to spain now if they want it.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

People I know there pay tax. Also pay agency fees on properties. Eat out everyday propping up up Spanish business. If they get expelled it will be felt. This day and age people are working from home online networking. With cheaper rent and a better life style spain would be an ideal base for this new generation of younger expats. It’s up to spain now if they want it.
Spain does not automatically offer a better lifestyle and plenty of younger people can move if they want to, be it German, French, Dutch and so on.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

People I know there pay tax.
In which case they are not under the radar
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not going to enter into an online argument. You stated undocumented Brits floating in and out if they are undocumented then they will not be paying the taxes that they should. If they are paying taxes then as Fred says they are neither undocumented or under the radar.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with others, the days of UK nationals floating in and out of Spain unhindered ended on 31 December 2020. From now on, UK nationals will have their passports scanned or wet stamped at Schengen borders and it will be immediately apparent if someone have gone over the 90 days.

This is not a return to the old days of pre EU membership either, border controls are more sophisticated now and then there is the new ETIAS visa which UK nationals will have to apply for.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

To the original poster. Nobody really knows yet what will happen. There is not yet much official direction. There are doctors from various countries working all over the world and this has been so for many many years. If it is of any hope, UK has reciprocal arrangements with Spain in a number of areas eg, health, paying pensions etc. My prediction is that UK will not throw out all the Spanish medical staff here. They will reach an agreement. Keep researching and planning. No harm in that.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Matthew, in the meantime, go ahead and find out what you need to do to have your qualifications recognised and get on with that
Old Jan 30th 2021, 4:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I sometimes worry about the authenticity of these posts as they pop up every week and seem so perfect for shooting down either that or people really have no idea what Brexit was and how migration around the world actually works.
I note the OP hasn't returned to answer any of the questions put, so yes, possibly a troll.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 5:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not sure he’s a troll. Usually you would expect some response just to keep the trolling going. It’s far more likely that the “ negativity “ of the replies put him off.

When I say “negative” that’s not a criticism of the responses, but the reality is that he doesn’t stand a chance of getting a job under the post Brexit rules, as has been pointed out, and if you were hopeful of success that would of course, be considered a negative answer.

We can expect more of this situation. It seems to me that many people in the UK have absolutely no concept of Brexit on their freedom of movement.

The reality is that if you do not have a job offer for a job that is in the approved list and then applied successfully at the Spanish Embassy in the UK you will not get a work permit. It’s even more difficult if you intend to be self employed.

Last edited by Fred James; Jan 30th 2021 at 5:16 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I’m not sure he’s a troll. Usually you would expect some response just to keep the trolling going. It’s far more likely that the “ negativity “ of the replies put him off.

When I say “negative” that’s not a criticism of the responses, but the reality is that he doesn’t stand a chance of getting a job under the post Brexit rules, as has been pointed out, and if you were hopeful of success that would of course, be considered a negative answer.

We can expect more of this situation. It seems to me that many people in the UK have absolutely no concept of Brexit on their freedom of movement.

The reality is that if you do not have a job offer for a job that is in the approved list and then applied successfully at the Spanish Embassy in the UK you will not get a work permit. It’s even more difficult if you intend to be self employed.
Well said. It never ceases to amaze me how little many UK nationals actually understood about EU freedom of movement both before and after the referendum. People may have thought that there would be a Norway type deal but it became apparent very early on in the negotiations that the UK government wanted the hardest possible Brexit which would put UK nationals on exactly the same footing as US and Canadian nationals.

Did people seriously think that third country UK nationals would be treated differently?
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not a troll. Maybe just someone who is not clued up. Naive ?
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

For the record there is no specific qualification for an NHS practice manager and therefore nothing to directly compare to in Spain where there is no equivalent to the position anyway.

https://www.pulsepracticejobs.com/ar...ctice-manager/

Since you now need a confirmed job offer from a Spanish employer, who in turn applies for the necessary visa, the chances of finding a job - any job - are not just zero but SUB zero!

Brexit, the gift which never stops giving taking.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
Well said. It never ceases to amaze me how little many UK nationals actually understood about EU freedom of movement both before and after the referendum. People may have thought that there would be a Norway type deal but it became apparent very early on in the negotiations that the UK government wanted the hardest possible Brexit which would put UK nationals on exactly the same footing as US and Canadian nationals.

Did people seriously think that third country UK nationals would be treated differently?
I think we all knew the rules and voted for it, hopefully we can now also control who can enter the UK and who can legally live and work here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.