Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

33 From Manchester UK 🇬🇧 want to move to Spain!

33 From Manchester UK 🇬🇧 want to move to Spain!

Old Jan 24th 2021, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Matthew hetherington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 33 From Manchester UK 🇬🇧 want to move to Spain!

Hi guys , So I really want to move to Spain to the area of around Malaga , possibly Duquesa or Nerja etc
I’m 33 and a practice manager of a GP surgery in Manchester.
I have looked online at residency , visa etc but there is so much conflicting info I don’t know where to start ??
I would like a job in One of the the hospitals and to work my way back up .
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to begin this process , bank accounts visas etc ? Any help is much appreciated
many thanks to you all
matthew
Old Jan 24th 2021, 8:26 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 33 From Manchester UK 🇬🇧 want to move to Spain!

You would need any professional medical diploma/degree/etc... you have recognised by the Spanish NARIC. It's not a quick process.

You would probably need a pretty good level of Spanish and be able to prove it by passing a DELE exam. A diploma for speaking Spanish is not a residency requirement but it would almost certainly be a job requirement for working in the medical sector.

You would need to apply for the job and get an offer before you could start residency so when coming to Spain to search for a job or do interviews you would be limited by the 90/180 day Schengen rule... when Spain finally opens its borders up to British non-residents again.

You would probably have more success applying for a job in the private sector than in the public sector if you wanted to start at the bottom and work your way up, however the income requirements for a non-EU citizen residency visa means you can't really start right at the bottom either.

So it ain't great news. Such is the control that British citizens have taken back.

Last edited by DLC; Jan 24th 2021 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot see how working as a Practice Manager in the Healy system in Manchester qualifies you for any employment in a similar line in Spain. Do you have fluency in Spanish and a knowledge of the Spanish Health System ?
Old Jan 24th 2021, 10:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew hetherington
Hi guys , So I really want to move to Spain to the area of around Malaga , possibly Duquesa or Nerja etc
I have looked online at residency , visa etc but there is so much conflicting info I don’t know where to start ??
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to begin this process , bank accounts visas etc ? Any help is much appreciated
many thanks to you all
matthew
Hi,
What qualifications do you have?
I would suggest you contact potential employers. In the unlikely(?) event you find employer, he will be better placed to advise you and support your visa / residence application.
You could start here > Hospital Quirónsalud Málaga (quironsalud.es)

Good Luck
Old Jan 24th 2021, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Given the high unemployment in Spain (and Andalucia is one of the worst areas for jobs), there are many highly qualified Spanish citizens, EU and long-term residents (who don't need a work visa) looking for jobs, you require a visa sponsored by prospective employer to work in Spain, I'm afraid your chances of relocating to Spain for work are close to zero. I am very sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but Brexit has made prospects for British citizens a lot worse, even with fluency in Spanish language.
If you have or can get Irish passport, or you are married to an EU citizen, process becomes easier, but difficulty of finding a job still remains.

Last edited by Joppa; Jan 24th 2021 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes worry about the authenticity of these posts as they pop up every week and seem so perfect for shooting down either that or people really have no idea what Brexit was and how migration around the world actually works.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Chipmonk given that Brexit was in the headlines for 4 years plus people do not seem to understand the basics - UK out of EU = no automatic right to live or work in any EU country. I am not saying it is impossible but it is a damn sight more difficult and complicated.

Also as far as I heard Spain educates and produces more medical staff than it needs and at one time Spaniards moved to UK NHS to gain employment but I wish the poster good luck we all have ambitions and dreams.

ps I thought the post was 33 people from Manchester want to move ie a club!

Old Jan 25th 2021, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless fluent in Spanish, finding a job in that field will be extremely difficult and that was the case long before Brexit. Spain has enough highly qualified people, so speaking the language will be essential in such a position. Apart from language you also have different regulations and standards, so if not fluent the only option I see is maybe working in a care home with English residents. But even then a visa is now required.
Probably better off to appreciate the position you are in now and that at least allows you to save money, be it for extended holidays or maybe early retirement later in life.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 9:34 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Unless fluent in Spanish, finding a job in that field will be extremely difficult and that was the case long before Brexit. Spain has enough highly qualified people, so speaking the language will be essential in such a position. Apart from language you also have different regulations and standards, so if not fluent the only option I see is maybe working in a care home with English residents. But even then a visa is now required.
Probably better off to appreciate the position you are in now and that at least allows you to save money, be it for extended holidays or maybe early retirement later in life.
I have been in hospital twice. Few of the nurses spoke more than pigeon English. The Doctors would only speak via an interpreter for those who did not understand Spanish.

Last edited by missile; Jan 25th 2021 at 9:38 am.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 33 From Manchester UK 🇬🇧 want to move to Spain!

Originally Posted by missile
I have been in hospital twice. Few of the nurses spoke more than pigeon English. The Doctors would only speak via an interpreter for those who did not understand Spanish.
I think you mean pidgin English. Unless they communicated via tweets!
Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:03 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Mustard
I think you mean pidgin English. Unless they communicated via tweets!
Thanks for that :-)
Old Jan 25th 2021, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew hetherington
many thanks to you all
matthew
I`m afraid the reality is there`s very little chance of you getting work or a visa , you are a couple years too late .
Old Jan 26th 2021, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I sometimes worry about the authenticity of these posts as they pop up every week and seem so perfect for shooting down either that or people really have no idea what Brexit was and how migration around the world actually works.
And yet there are still those already in Spain who seem to have only recently become aware of what's been going or been living in 'nothing to do with me' denial.

For some of those their 'awakening' may have come too late!
Old Jan 26th 2021, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
And yet there are still those already in Spain who seem to have only recently become aware of what's been going or been living in 'nothing to do with me' denial.

For some of those their 'awakening' may have come too late!
it’s all doom and gloom on this forum. Brexit isn’t the apocalypse. I know Americans , packistanis , morrocans, Russians and more who have moved and settled in Spain without qualifications and a lot of money. There are so many undocumented British expats who float in and out willy nilly of Spain. In fact there are more undocumented expats than official expats. Denying them would would have an massive affect on the Spanish economy at a time when they need foreign investment more than ever. Places like Portugal will just become the number one spot for Brits instead.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 5:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
it’s all doom and gloom on this forum. Brexit isn’t the apocalypse. I know Americans , packistanis , morrocans, Russians and more who have moved and settled in Spain without qualifications and a lot of money. There are so many undocumented British expats who float in and out willy nilly of Spain. In fact there are more undocumented expats than official expats. Denying them would would have an massive affect on the Spanish economy at a time when they need foreign investment more than ever. Places like Portugal will just become the number one spot for Brits instead.
If it's so easy then perhaps you could give the OP some answers to their questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.