British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   3 questions for English TEFL Teachers in Madrid (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/3-questions-english-tefl-teachers-madrid-872056/)

mickypalmer Feb 8th 2016 11:26 am

3 questions for English TEFL Teachers in Madrid

Hi
Three questions, two short, one rather more complex.

Q1: Is there a vibrant web site/forum aimed at TEFL teachers in Spain? Google comes back with lots of sites but they all seem pretty quiet. (In Thailand I use Ajarn.com | Teaching English in Thailand which is very active).

Q2: Classroom equipment. Is it the norm for education establishments in Madrid to have multimedia capabilities? Is it rare to find yourself using a blackboard and chalk. I would hope that classes on business premises would typically have a properly equipped environment........?

Q3: I have read (on quite dated forum posts on the internet) that teaching experience gained in Asia is not valued highly in Spain. However, I have looked at several examples of lesson plans claimed to be for Spanish students. There seems to be little different to those I have seen used in Thailand. What am I missing? Those who have direct experience please help - I want to be able to address those concerns (if they exist) at CV and interview stages!

Many thanks in anticipation of your helpful replies.

scot47 Feb 9th 2016 4:16 pm

Re: 3 questions for English TEFL Teachers in Madrid

Daves ESL Café.

mickypalmer Feb 9th 2016 10:41 pm

Many thanks for the response.

I know eslcafe.com but its main focus is China, Korea and the Middle East, and the teachers forum re Spain is very quiet (as are all the others I've found).

The www example I quoted in my OP is dedicated to Thailand so I'm trying to find a similar site for Spain/Europe.

steviedeluxe Feb 10th 2016 8:29 am

There are a couple of sites that teachers use (mainly focusing on jobs and prospective clients) Profesores - Madrid and LingoBongo - private classes, language exchanges, teaching jobs, cv sender and social events in Madrid - Clases y intercambios de idiomas en Madrid In both cases you may need to know Spanish

You will find the major discussion groups would be found on Facebook. For example "Auxiliares in Madrid" includes members who are full blown teachers, as well as auxiliares. Also check out the "Madrid expats" group as a good percentage will either be teachers or have links to that community.

mickypalmer Feb 11th 2016 1:48 am

Thanks Stevie. This information is a great help.

How very silly of me for not thinking of searching with the Spanish word for Teacher :o :lol:

Saigonjack Feb 12th 2016 10:13 am

Tefl.com is very good for Spanish jobs and also you can contact the advertisers from old adverts, so gives you a wide range of places to send your CV to