Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

3 month winter rentals

3 month winter rentals

Old Apr 13th 2022, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 month winter rentals

I'd agree and it really depends what type of property you go for. If the whole idea of going to Spain is weather, you would at least want something that gets a good amount of sun to enjoy those 3 months. Best example are the cheapish village houses with no outside space and while it might seem like a bargain, it will be dark most of the time.
Old Apr 14th 2022, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Yep agree and its not just old houses that are bad.
We are in a newish flat (2004) and as usual with modern builds, its solid concrete. the only place bricks are used are on internal walls.
Ok the outer walls are about 300mm thick, but no insulation and unless you want to go to the expense of internal insulation well you just have to get used to the cold.
We have double glazing but the frames are metal and are screwed directly to the wall with no thermal break, so they get very cold and of course there are gaps. And the units only have about 3mm between the panes.
The wind whistles through them and at night we close the curtains and drop the shutters. These are just as bad as they are above the window and the box that holds them is both outside and in, so they get cold as well.

Today its warm and cloudy with a bit of wind (but we live in a tiny village 240m above sea level and its fairly open. Inside my weather station says 17c and outside its 20c.
I live in a concrete flat, built by a Spaish company around 1990, single glazed metal windows.
Very rarely do I need to wear more than swimming trunks even in winter
Old Apr 14th 2022, 10:50 am
KVP
Just Joined

KVP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Also live in Ireland and don't find Spain to be that cheap anymore (apart from alcohol)
I must say I'm shocked at the prices. Now, I appreciate we are near an expensive area, but even then. I'm debating on whether or not everyone in the area is a rip off artist, charging what they can because idiots like me are stuck with no other option? I genuinely pay less to live in Dublin city centre. As you say, alcohol is quite cheap.. not much good when you don't drink much though

Weather is another thing and a lot of people move to so called Southern Spain for better weather. Depending on location it can be more extreme in summer and just as wet/cold in winter (unless it's Almeria:-)
I've never been so glad to have brought my winter coat, sweatpants and extra socks!! Thankfully the apt we are renting has heat and heavy duvets.

What I always find great in Ireland is that I can get a decent Latte at most petrol stations and food is another thing. Unfortunately a lot of the Spanish supermarkets sell poor quality meat and animal welfare isn't something people look at.
There's a lot of poor quality everything in the supermarkets... I did get some lovely fresh onions though.. I have found some fruterias which have a much better selection of fruit and veg.
Old Apr 14th 2022, 10:55 am
KVP
Just Joined

Originally Posted by whytony
will look at air b&b but there are lots of reports of homes not being there when you arrive, has anyone any experience??
This is my first time using AirBnB, so I don't have much advice here. I did however take advice from someone else to carefully read the reviews for the host. I was told to make sure they had plenty of reviews, and read them all to make sure they are reasonably detailed and not just copy/paste jobs. The one we chose, had over 40 good reviews. I also contacted the host and asked a few questions before I booked. We've been lucky and the host is great and the apt is lovely. In fact, the host just walked by, husband was on the balcony and the host stopped to chat and ask if we needed anything!
Oh and always conduct your business through AirBnB, so they have a record of it!
Old Apr 14th 2022, 10:59 am
KVP
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Barriej
Yep agree and its not just old houses that are bad.
Today its warm and cloudy with a bit of wind (but we live in a tiny village 240m above sea level and its fairly open. Inside my weather station says 17c and outside its 20c.
The other day it was 27c here but the inside temp of the apt was 16c!! I was wearing sweatpants, a jumper and thick socks inside trainers. Then I went out to a churingito in thin trousers and a tshirt
Old Apr 15th 2022, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tony,
We live in a town called Ayamonte - on the Spanish coast 3 miles from the border with the Portugal Algarve. Our local Hotel - Isla Canela Golf Hotel - has apartments for long term rental. Haggle for a good price! This would give you an excellent option to explore the Costa de la Luz and the Algarve area (although property prices in Portugal are now very expensive compared to Spain). Certainly worth a try.
Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2022, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KVP
The other day it was 27c here but the inside temp of the apt was 16c!! I was wearing sweatpants, a jumper and thick socks inside trainers. Then I went out to a churingito in thin trousers and a tshirt
It's 21.9C in my living room right now, I find the inside temperatures in the daytime quite comfortable. We are in a South facing ático, and have not used any heating at all, even at night, for several days now.

Last edited by Lynn R; Apr 15th 2022 at 8:12 am.
Old Apr 15th 2022, 8:57 am
KVP
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lynn R
It's 21.9C in my living room right now, I find the inside temperatures in the daytime quite comfortable. We are in a South facing ático, and have not used any heating at all, even at night, for several days now.
We are only getting the sun on the apt for a bit in the morning and then later in the evening. It has improved over the last few days and we haven't had to use the heating this week.(last week was another story though!) We're still using the heavy duvet at night though
Old Apr 15th 2022, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KVP
We are only getting the sun on the apt for a bit in the morning and then later in the evening. It has improved over the last few days and we haven't had to use the heating this week.(last week was another story though!) We're still using the heavy duvet at night though
We took our quite heavy, electric duvet off a few weeks ago and had a lighter weight quilted bedspread plus a light fleece blanket on for a while, last night the fleece blanket had to come off as well as it was too warm. You have to layer the bedlinen here just like you do clothes in the winter - warm ones on early in the morning, take off a layer or two after 11 am when it warms up then put them back on when the sun goes down.

It didn't come as any surprise to us how cold it can be inside Spanish properties in the winter, after spending several winter holidays in apartments here and more than once having to go out and buy a cheap fan heater and leave it behind at the end of the holiday. I don't think this last winter has been too bad, some years we have to put the heating on in the afternoons if we have a really cold day (which we did the previous winter when it was extremely cold in late December and in January, much more so than this year). We have never needed to put it on before 6pm this year, and very often it has been later than that.
Old Apr 16th 2022, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whytony
many thanx so far, all duly noted, especially the coastal bit, but starngely we reckon to buy, maybe 30 mins inland looks better value. of course i live in west yorks,so we are a hour from either coast here....
t
Before you buy check out the temperature difference between the coast and your desired location inland.
We were finding a temperature difference of around 6 degrees or so when we were looking inland, admittedly at a slightly higher altitude. This doesn't seem a lot in summer and it's actually pleasant to get a little cooler but in the winter it can make a big difference. (Snow poles by the road are also an indication that the area can get a little chilly)
Old Apr 18th 2022, 4:32 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Be warned: In my experience
Booking.com are difficult to contact and give very little assistance should you have an issue with the property.
Old Apr 18th 2022, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by missile
Be warned: In my experience
Booking.com are difficult to contact and give very little assistance should you have an issue with the property.
I agree. A couple of years ago we were on the train from Málaga heading to Madrid where we had booked an apartment to stay in via Booking.com when my husband got a message from Booking.com to say the apartment wasn't available as the owner had double booked it. They said they had emailed him a suggestion for an alternative apartment but it was of no use to us as at that time he didn't have a smartphone so could not see details of the alternative. We had a very stressful and anxious few hours until a hotel in Madrid (although they did not have a room for us as they were fully booked) kindly let us use a computer in their lobby for the use of guests to see and book the alternative accommodation - which was not very nice but by that time we just wanted a roof over our heads rather than spending the night on a park bench. Booking.com took no responsibility at all. Wherever possible I now book direct with the establishment and it usually turns out cheaper as well.

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 18th 2022 at 9:14 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Apr 18th 2022, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I agree. A couple of years ago we were on the train from Málaga heading to Madrid where we had booked an apartment to stay in via Booking.com when my husband got a message from Booking.com to say the apartment wasn't available as the owner had double booked it. They said they had emailed him a suggestion for an alternative apartment but it was of no use to us as at that time he didn't have a smartphone so could not see details of the alternative. We had a very stressful and anxious few hours until a hotel in Madrid (although they did not have a room for us as they were fully booked) kindly let us use a computer in their lobby for the use of guests to see and book the alternative accommodation - which was not very nice but by that time we just wanted a roof over our heads rather than spending the night on a park bench. Booking.com took no responsibility at all. Wherever possible I now book direct with the establishment and it usually turns out cheaper as well.
I must say it can be hit and miss if you need help re a booking with Booking. Com. As for booking direct, I use Booking. Com to find what's available where I want to go. I then always check ti see if its better to book direct. Sometimes it is and sometimes it's the same. Some you go to their own site to book only to find booking takes you straight to Booking. Com.

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 18th 2022 at 9:17 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Apr 18th 2022, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I must say it can be hit and miss if you need help re a booking with Booking. Com. As for booking direct, I use Booking. Com to find what's available where I want to go. I then always check ti see if its better to book direct. Sometimes it is and sometimes it's the same. Some you go to their own site to book only to find booking takes you straight to Booking. Com.
Agree and at the end of the day it's a platform, so not really their fault if a property has double bookings. A bit like Ebay really and you still have more benefits using their tools. Especially when it comes to cancellations, you can easily cancel on short notice and some hotel websites don't even have a cancellation button. People can still ring the hotel directly if they need help.

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 18th 2022 at 9:18 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Apr 18th 2022, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree and at the end of the day it's a platform, so not really their fault if a property has double bookings. A bit like Ebay really and you still have more benefits using their tools. Especially when it comes to cancellations, you can easily cancel on short notice and some hotel websites don't even have a cancellation button. People can still ring the hotel directly if they need help.
Agree and at the end of the day it's a platform, so not really their fault if a property has double bookings. A bit like Ebay really and you still have more benefits using their tools. Especially when it comes to cancellations, you can easily cancel on short notice and some hotel websites don't even have a cancellation button. People can still ring the hotel directly if they need help.[/QUOTE]

I had a road trip planned with a number of hotels booked through booking. Com problem was we then got the first lockdown. I found it very easy to cancel the hotels via their site. Some I did need to contact the hotel due to booking conditions. Overall though it was easily resolved and didn't cost me anything. I once had a room booked some years ago which they had to cancel due to the hotel no longer operating. They sent me details of a nearby hotel which was a little more expensive but Booking. Com paid the difference. As you say sometimes things happen outside of their control.

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 18th 2022 at 9:19 pm. Reason: corrected quote