Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

3 month travel.

3 month travel.

Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Greywolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 month travel.

A question for all you well traveled people. If i go to Spain from the UK for 3 months , say from Sept to Dec . then return to the UK for 1 month. Could I go on a European cruise, or do I have to wait until I have been out of EU for 3 months ? TIA
Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lefty2021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 month travel.

I was wondering exactly the same thing as I too want to cruise as well as spend time in the Costa Blanca, as far as I’m aware it is a 90 day allowance for the whole of the Schengen zone
Old Sep 5th 2021, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greywolf
A question for all you well traveled people. If i go to Spain from the UK for 3 months , say from Sept to Dec . then return to the UK for 1 month. Could I go on a European cruise, or do I have to wait until I have been out of EU for 3 months ? TIA
Maximum 90 days in every 180.

If you arrived on the 1st September you must leave before the 90th day (travelling counts as well).

So 1st Sept to 29th Nov is 90 days. You then cannot return before 1st March (if feb is a leap year then you could come back on the 29th).
Old Sep 5th 2021, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

I guess you could go on the cruise and not set foot on land. they dont come on board to stamp your passports.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 1:52 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greywolf
Edit: I posted some nonsense here before but after checking, Barriej was right and I was wrong so I've deleted it.

As for visiting ports in and out of the Schengen area, getting stamps, and what that does to your Schengen clock you're best searching answers on a board with lots of Americans and Canadians like Rick Steves as they have that problem all the time (and so do Brits now).

Last edited by DLC; Sep 5th 2021 at 1:58 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 9:15 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola,

It is very simple to work out. You can spend a maximum of 90 days in ANY 180 period.

The period is simple; today is always day 180 and yesterday is day 179. Count back 180 days and count the days in the 180 day period you have been in the Schengen area. If it is under 90 days, then yes you can enter the Schengen area

Davexf
Old Sep 6th 2021, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you just go to a non-schengen country, say Cyprus, have a cruise from there (or stay inland in Cyprus) and not worry about the 90/180?
Old Sep 6th 2021, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

The European countries that are not part of the Schengen zone are Albania, Andora, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Ireland, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, The United Kingdom and Vatican City and Gibraltar

Plus of course the rest of the world.

Covid allowing
Old Sep 6th 2021, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Where i am people are coming in and out still without a TIE. Not sure they have gone over their 90 day limit yet but time will tell.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 9:23 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

From your list, been to Albania,Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Ireland, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City and Gibraltar.

Next on list are Armenia & Azerbaijan. They went and had a war there and covid has scuppered my plans so far to go there...

I can´t imagine anything more boring that a cruise...

Old Sep 6th 2021, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing by that list that you like to travel to different places so you should give it a try. A cruise is a floating hotel that moves you between destinations whilst you sleep. Most days you wake up with a new destination to explore. Its definitely on my retirement bucket list.

Unless you meant Tom Cruise is boring, I agree there.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 9:57 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

No way you would get me on a cruise! I can´t imagine anything more boring! But I know some people love them....

I prerer to explore countries myself and have no interest in organised trips.

I read the Lonely Planet guide for a particular country in advance, identify what I want to see, come up with a route and then book hotels day by day as I travel.

This is an invaluable website for anyone who does a bit of travelling... It is great for working out what modes of transport are available in getting from A to B... It also works acros borders, which is really useful.

https://www.rome2rio.com/

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Sep 6th 2021 at 10:04 am.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I have done a couple of 7 day cruises.
Malaga into the Med back to Malaga
Malaga out of the Med back to Malaga
Both very enjoyable, but two is enough,
Now I prefer to travel by car.
Gib to Roscoff, ferry to Rosslare, turn left and west coast up to Malin Head. Quick dash to Dublin, ferry to Anglesey, visit family. Then through the Chunnel and down to the disappointing Carmargue, then back to Gib via Andorra
Next trip a year later Gib to Roscoff, ferry to Rosslare turn right east coast to Malin Head then down through the centre of Ireland back to Rosslare and ferry to Roscoff and home.
Plus numerous trips around Spain and Portugal. Also touring USA and Canada and Newzealand in rentals
Old Sep 6th 2021, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

vincentayre is an unknown quantity at this point

So the first day you arrive the 180 starts ticking down and in that you are allowed 90 days. So if I wanted to spend the summer here I could come over for a few days at the beginning of January then come back in May use up the balance of my 90 to the end-ish of June go home for a week then come back first week of July start the 180 clock again and stay for 90 days until the end of September.

Right??
Old Sep 6th 2021, 12:33 pm
Banned

You speak about a fixed date when the clock starts ticking, i.e. day 1 to day 180.
But it also must be a moving time window, i suppose..

By way of a simple example...

If you come to Spain on Jan the 1st and then leave on jan the 2nd of Jan the clock has started ticking on teh 180 days allowance. You could use up the remaining balance of the 90 days in May, June and July and leave on the last day of July (90th day) that would be OK.

But if you then came back to Spain in August I am not sure if can argu that this is a new 180 day period and stay in August and September for you new 90 day allowance.

I has to be a constantly moving window, I think.... Within any 180 day period you cannot exceed the 90 day allowance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.