Reload this Page >

3 Month Registration - Staff not being so helpful

3 Month Registration - Staff not being so helpful

Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

irashpir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 Month Registration - Staff not being so helpful

Originally Posted by JB80
I suspect it helps to have a valid resident bank account though, without that you might have more trouble.
For that I will need a NIE, I guess...
So NIE first, resident bank account after that.
So far I have been focusing on NIE, proof of address and accommodation. Would that be the right thing to do?
Txs
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Again we used our passports for the bank account, you need to have a Spanish address otherwise you get a foreigners account which is still acceptable as it's still a Spanish account the only difference is the fees you pay.

I'm not saying don't focus on the NIE, you should but it's not essential for some things but certainly is for others.
I think you are on the right track though.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JB80
Again we used our passports for the bank account, you need to have a Spanish address otherwise you get a foreigners account which is still acceptable as it's still a Spanish account the only difference is the fees you pay.

I'm not saying don't focus on the NIE, you should but it's not essential for some things but certainly is for others.
I think you are on the right track though.
Thanks for that JB80
I guess I got somewhat obsessed with this NIE thingy...
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
It sounds like the guy was telling you to come back at 8.30 am (a las ocho y media). It also seems the information you have been given about signing on the official register of foreigners is a bit sketchy, to say the least. You will need more than your passport and the €10.40 fee, I'm afraid. You need a certificate from the local Ayuntamient to say that you are empadronamiento (ie on the list of official residents in your town). You also need proof of sufficient income to show that you are not going to become a burden on the state (either a work contract or proof of sufficient funds either in a lump sum or regular payments into a Spanish bank account - money in a British bank account will not suffice. The exact amount they require isn't set in stone but the general consensus seems to be at least €6,000 per annum for a single person). Plus proof that you are either covered under the Spanish state health system (a Form S1 from the UK DWP is acceptable if you have one) or that you have private health insurance cover.
How can he show the padron? He can't register on it till he registers on the foreigners register first!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
How can he show the padron? He can't register on it till he registers on the foreigners register first!
That's not so in the area I live in. We signed on the padron (well within the 90 day period before we were required to register as residents) and were asked for our empadronamiento certificate when we did register as residents.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

OMG! what's first
?!

Last edited by irashpir; Oct 17th 2013 at 12:50 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:40 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
actually - legally - even 'illegal immigrants' can register on the padrón

all he should have to show - legally - is a national ID document (passport in the case of a Brit) & proof of address
Old Oct 17th 2013, 1:02 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

77 - Armed and Extremely Prepared
tamaraessexspanishblog.wordpress.com
I'm a pacifist. So going armed does not come naturally. But for this encounter I needed everything in the armoury. I needed to be fully tooled up
Old Oct 17th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunny_side
I'm happy to do it don't get me wrong, but i'm starting to get the runaround and its getting to be a bit of a pain.
Heh, heh.
I bet you wish you hadn't asked, now.
This is a prime illustration of why so many expats have trouble in Spain. Even the "old timers" (no offence intended) can't agree who needs to do what, for what, with whom and when.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
Heh, heh.
I bet you wish you hadn't asked, now.
This is a prime illustration of why so many expats have trouble in Spain. Even the "old timers" (no offence intended) can't agree who needs to do what, for what, with whom and when.
That's because there is so much variation between different areas, and the only way to find out what is needed by whom in a particular town, frankly, is to go in and ask them. Even then you can go in one day and be told one thing, and go in the next day and speak to someone else and be told something different.

There are times when it's quite surreal, it has to be said. I know I remember saying it was like living in "Through the Looking Glass", more than once, in the early days.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I managed mine the first time no problems, but I can imagine how easy it is to get caught up in the bureaucracy.

When I went to renew my residencia I had to show the padron. When I went to get the padron I needed the residencia. Fortunately I was renewing while the residencia was still valid (by a couple of weeks) or I'd have been caught up in that you-need-one-to-get-the-other loop.

Good luck to all those battling through the red tape.