Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

3 Kings Sierra Arecena

3 Kings Sierra Arecena

Old Dec 22nd 2018, 6:29 pm
Sandra & Munty

Sandraphleb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 Kings Sierra Arecena

Has anyone ever been to this where the locals open their front rooms/doors and stage biblical scenes for the nativity and the three kings come down from the sierra on camels? If so I am wondering if there is accommodation in this village which i suspect not and if there is a hotel nearby with taxi access to the village.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 Kings Sierra Arecena

Hello Sandra. You're keen, to go up there !! Out of curiosity I found a 25 minute video on youtube. Search : Especial Cabalgatas de reyes Magos 2017- ARACENA. It seems to be a grand procession of floats pulled by tractors as best I can tell. Didn't see any Camels? Its the same route as going to the Rio Tinto mine museum which we did in spring 17. ( thru - Valverde). It's quite a long winding road up from Huelva. It was our original intention to visit Aracena after the mine, but it was something like another 25-30 Km further on and we were feeling pretty tired so returned to base, reluctantly missing Aracena. Its not that far on paper but the road is not great. There appears to be quite a few hotels in town. HTH........Keith
Old Dec 24th 2018, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Aracena is quite developed for Tourists The Caves are spectacular and the Castle has been renovated in the last few years . There are many restaurants, the speciality is Iberian pork as you are not far from Jabuga which is a big centre of that industry.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sandra, I went to Aracena a few years ago with a group of golf widows (Avril was one). The guys were playing at Rio Tinto so we drove up to look around the caves. You pass Jabugo on the way and at the exit for the village there is a fabulous sculpture of Cork Oaks with pigs foraging beneath them. The caves are great as are the restaurants, quite touristy. Bryony xx

Last edited by MikeCol; Dec 29th 2018 at 8:38 am.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 8:03 am
Sandra & Munty

Sandraphleb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Keith, Guesswork and Bryony. All I have to do now is persuade Munty! I've also heard you can drink "Panthers Milk" up there on the eve of 3 Kings too! x
Old Jan 4th 2019, 8:09 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandraphleb
Thank you Keith, Guesswork and Bryony. All I have to do now is persuade Munty! I've also heard you can drink "Panthers Milk" up there on the eve of 3 Kings too! x
In the 'spirit' of scientific enquiry I googled this, ad I hadnt heard of it before 🤔🤔

https://www.circus-berlin.de/panther-milk-story-behnd-drink/

Mines a double.

Jon