Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

3% retention on property sales

3% retention on property sales

Old Dec 12th 2015, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3% retention on property sales

Does anyone have up to date information on the 3% retention tax and particularly in regard to the residence certificate not being ready in time for the signing over in front of the notary?
Old Dec 12th 2015, 8:40 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3% retention on property sales

By the residence certificate (as you call it) do you mean the green sheet/card for proof of signing on the list of foreigners or something else?

If you do, then it has nothing to do with tax or the retention of said.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 10:46 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you have residencia(?) then you do not pay the 3% retention.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 11:00 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
If you have residencia(?) then you do not pay the 3% retention.
No, but if you are a non-resident (as in no green sheet and not doing tax returns) selling the property then you do I thought.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 11:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
No, but if you are a non-resident (as in no green sheet and not doing tax returns) selling the property then you do I thought.
If you are non - resident you must pay property tax and have evidence. You can then claim back a portion / all of the 3% if you make little / or no profit.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 1:45 pm
Retired and loving it!

If you are non - resident you must pay property tax and have evidence. You can then claim back a portion / all of the 3% if you make little / or no profit.
Absolutely, but it still must be paid at the time of the sale.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if resident and fiscally resident you need a certificate of such to avoid the retention. This is almost identical to the certificate needed to send to HMRC, but not quite.
The Nerja Notario doesn't know the difference as I/we recently avoided a retention using the wrong one !
Old Dec 12th 2015, 3:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Producing a copy of your current tax declaration should be acceptable.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I have a certificate of Residencia Fiscal for 2014 and I have requested one for 2015 from the Torremolinos Hacienda 8 days ago, they said it would take a month!!!. I went to the Main Malaga office on Friday and filled in another sollecito. They say that I can pick it up from the Torremolinos office on Monday, am I to believe that? We have the sale with the Notary on Tuesday.
The lawyer says that the law has changed and that if you don't have the certificate you pay it and you can't get it back..........
I made my normal tax declaration in June Btw.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 6:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
I have a certificate of Residencia Fiscal for 2014 and I have requested one for 2015 from the Torremolinos Hacienda 8 days ago, they said it would take a month!!!. I went to the Main Malaga office on Friday and filled in another sollecito. They say that I can pick it up from the Torremolinos office on Monday, am I to believe that? We have the sale with the Notary on Tuesday.
The lawyer says that the law has changed and that if you don't have the certificate you pay it and you can't get it back..........
I made my normal tax declaration in June Btw.
The law muct have changed fairly recently then as I had to pay the 3% on our sale as a non fiscal resident, but was then able to claim it back (we used a solicitor) afterwards. Solicitor said nothing about any possible law changes
Old Dec 12th 2015, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The law muct have changed fairly recently then as I had to pay the 3% on our sale as a non fiscal resident, but was then able to claim it back (we used a solicitor) afterwards. Solicitor said nothing about any possible law changes
No, the law hasn't changed with regard to claiming a refund, although they will now retain it unless you produce a certificate of fiscal residence. The procedure for claiming a refund is exactly the same as when you claimed.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 11:02 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
...The lawyer says that the law has changed and that if you don't have the certificate you pay it and you can't get it back...........
That is bollocks
Old Dec 12th 2015, 11:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

That is bollocks
Subtle as ever
Old Dec 13th 2015, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

That is bollocks
I hope so,
I was reading about people still waiting for the refund from the Malaga Hacienda after almost 2 years. They had spent varying sums with Lawyers up to about 5K.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 6:07 am
Started off with nothing

You should avoid English lawyers. Seek out a good Abogado/ Gestor. Use one recommended by your friends / neighbours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.