Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

2nd home residence permit Mallorca

2nd home residence permit Mallorca

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

bizgen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2nd home residence permit Mallorca

We have had a second home in Mallorca for 20 years or so, come for about 3 months in total over different months every year, daughters bring their families too. If I have a residence permit, I can get a book of tickets for the tram from the Port of Soller to Soller at a fraction of the 8 euro return price that tourists pay.

Am I entitled to a residence permit if I pay tax in UK and don't live here all the time? We are pensioners and money is a bit tight.

Would appreciate advice - bit of a novice at this thread business, took me ages to find out how to do it, not sure if I will find my way back!

Gen
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd home residence permit Mallorca

Originally Posted by bizgen
We have had a second home in Mallorca for 20 years or so, come for about 3 months in total over different months every year, daughters bring their families too. If I have a residence permit, I can get a book of tickets for the tram from the Port of Soller to Soller at a fraction of the 8 euro return price that tourists pay.

Am I entitled to a residence permit if I pay tax in UK and don't live here all the time? We are pensioners and money is a bit tight.

Would appreciate advice - bit of a novice at this thread business, took me ages to find out how to do it, not sure if I will find my way back!

Gen
Welcome to BE. As this forum is only for welcoming new members I am moving your thread into the Spain forum. Hopefully you will get some answers from the people who live in Spain.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Gen
Since you are never spending more than 90 days in Spain at a time you are treated as a tourist and not required to register on the foreigners database with the police.

I would imagine that the discount you are talking about is for locals rather than just Spanish residents. In that case the document you would probably need is a certificate to show that you were a local resident and you normally get that from the town hall.

Unfortunately you will not normally be able to register on the "Padron" unless you have the certificate of registration as a foreigner and even then strictly speaking you also have to have your permanent home in the area.

However, there is nothing to stop you registering as a foreigner at a cost of €10 - all you need is your passport. Then you may find that you can get away with registering with the town hall - they all seem to interpret the rules to suit themselves irrespective of what the law actually says.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

bizgen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for taking the trouble to try to help. I suppose I am confusing my understanding of 'residence' with the normal meaning of a house where I live sometimes. Somebody told me that if we have a property in the Port of Soller then we should be entitled to the discounts available to other people with homes here. After all, we pay the normal local taxes etc.

I suppose I should go to the ayuntamente and see if anyone can understand what I want. As you say, they probably all have different ideas about what we are entitled to, maybe I'll be able to get a local Mallorquin to come with me.

Thanks

Gen
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for taking the trouble to try to help. I suppose I am confusing my understanding of 'residence' with the normal meaning of a house where I live sometimes. Somebody told me that if we have a property in the Port of Soller then we should be entitled to the discounts available to other people with homes here. After all, we pay the normal local taxes etc.

I suppose I should go to the ayuntamente and see if anyone can understand what I want. As you say, they probably all have different ideas about what we are entitled to, maybe I'll be able to get a local Mallorquin to come with me.

Thanks

Gen
Go to the council office and ask for the pensioners discount card, you might be lucky.