Reload this Page >

2nd hand car buying...sorry

2nd hand car buying...sorry

Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

craiginspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2nd hand car buying...sorry

Hi all ,
Craig here , i live and work in Salamanca , Castilla y Leon . Im sure you are sick of hearing this but....
im buying a car and i cant seem to get any straightanswers from anyone , including my spanish girlfriend

i have asked at the jefatura , and i asked 3 police officers ( one a friend ) and they all told me i dont have to do ANYTHING at all about my driving licence ( from the uk ) and thats its perfectly fine to drive with that.

Ok , so as far as actually buying it , so far i think :

go along , agree price blah blah , THEN ...both parties go to jefatura to make the transferencia ? both sign the permiso de circulación ...

what else ? how do you check the history or do they tell you that at the jefatura ?

any advice much appreciated and sorry if its an old boring subject :-)
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd hand car buying...sorry

Originally Posted by craiginspain
Hi all ,
Craig here , i live and work in Salamanca , Castilla y Leon . Im sure you are sick of hearing this but....
im buying a car and i cant seem to get any straightanswers from anyone , including my spanish girlfriend

i have asked at the jefatura , and i asked 3 police officers ( one a friend ) and they all told me i dont have to do ANYTHING at all about my driving licence ( from the uk ) and thats its perfectly fine to drive with that.

Ok , so as far as actually buying it , so far i think :

go along , agree price blah blah , THEN ...both parties go to jefatura to make the transferencia ? both sign the permiso de circulación ...

what else ? how do you check the history or do they tell you that at the jefatura ?

any advice much appreciated and sorry if its an old boring subject :-)
I seem to recall you have to be careful... which is why many use a Gestor.

I remember reading somewhere that they DO tell you the history, but when the nice policeman turns round and says "And you are aware that there is 12 years outstanding road tax, 43 parking fines and 8,000 euros of loans all against this vehicle" you might simply miss this and just nod your head in agreement
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

craiginspain is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks twyntub

so it seems to use a gestor is the way to go then.......so lets say i have to go quite far to find the car i want , then on the day we need to find a gestor and both go there to do it all? any ideas what they cost ?

thanks again
Craig
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craiginspain
thanks twyntub

so it seems to use a gestor is the way to go then.......so lets say i have to go quite far to find the car i want , then on the day we need to find a gestor and both go there to do it all? any ideas what they cost ?

thanks again
Craig
When I bought off a dealer, iirc the cost was €150 to re register

Yes, you can use your UK licence until it expires but subject to conditions .... search the forum, its just been discussed .... you must have medicals as per Spanish law.