Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The 2nd great flood ofSheffield

The 2nd great flood ofSheffield

Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 2nd great flood ofSheffield

What's happening to the UK's weather
Sheffield has only been flooded once before. This was on the night of 11th March 1864 when the Dale dyke dam burst.
http://www.mick-armitage.staff.shef....eld/flood.html

I'm currently in Spain and my sister has just rang to let me know that after setting off for home from work at 16:30. in Sheffield. She spent 4 hours trying to drive the 8 miles home.
After finding every route option blocked by either deep flood water or by the police, she gave up and has had to return to her place of work finally arriving back at 23:40
She says the whole city is still grid-locked at 00:30, and that she now has no option but to spend the night there among 14 others who never made it home.

Local radio has reported two deaths, a boy of 13 swept away in a park stream, and a man of 69yrs who got out of his car on one of the main city center roads and was knocked off his feet by the flow of water and drowned.

I have lived in Sheffield for 50 yrs and have never known anything like it. As far as i'm aware the river Don has never flooded into the city center due to rainfall . The pic in the link below of Lady's bridge which is bang in the center of town shows how bad things are, the river is normally about 2 feet deep at best at this location, and runs 30-40 feet below the bridge!!
here's some pics.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/..._gallery.shtml
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2nd great flood ofSheffield

Thanks for putting the link on. My OH is from Sheffield and he found it extremely interesting to see the changes that have occurred since he was last there.

Rosemary
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

FionaG has a spectacular aura aboutFionaG has a spectacular aura aboutFionaG has a spectacular aura about

3 dead now, i was only there a few weeks ago for the first time im glad i went now.fionax
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

I am sat here reading through the posts as I can't get to work. It is the heaviest month of rain in Sheffield for about 150 years. My brother-in-law was stuck at work nearly all night watch the seaking helicoptors rescuing people near meadowhall. I am just waiting to see what is happening to the dam I have to pass to work. Its about to break its banks.

Great British weather
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:39 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it doesnt get any worse - at the moment they are wondering whether a reservoir is going to burst its banks somewhere down the M1 - they evacuated approx 25 homes - weve not had a lot of rain today but apparently the rain is back tomoz - just hope its not as bad as yesterday - we could do to ship it over to Oz where they have had the opposite.
Sam
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Checking on the internet, the river that flows just over the road from where I used to live in the UK is on a 'Flood Warning' last time this happened when I was there it flooded, so the knight of the realm that renamed my cottage, as 'The Manor House' might get a bit of a surprise..
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:38 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Having come from sheffield its quite shocking myself. I was in meadowhall centre the day before i left for spain in April and now its all flooded out. I kinda wish i was back there to experience it all.

Weekends set for more bad weather so fingers crossed it doesnt get any worse there. thankfully everyone i know are up in the hill in Maltby near rotherham so they are OK.

P.S finally got unrestricted internet access at work now so might be back on here more again
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:44 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Having come from sheffield its quite shocking myself. I was in meadowhall centre the day before i left for spain in April and now its all flooded out. I kinda wish i was back there to experience it all.

Weekends set for more bad weather so fingers crossed it doesnt get any worse there. thankfully everyone i know are up in the hill in Maltby near rotherham so they are OK.

P.S finally got unrestricted internet access at work now so might be back on here more again
Good (and thats to you being back on here more)

Can you start a thread letting us all know how things are for you in Spain? I hope all is going ok for you and you are enjoying your new life
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:08 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Its been really bad, and there is more rain forecast for the weekend

More news FLOOD NEWS HERE

Last edited by jdr; Jun 28th 2007 at 6:42 pm. Reason: URL