Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

26% of unemployed catalans have turned down a job offer

26% of unemployed catalans have turned down a job offer

Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:44 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default 26% of unemployed catalans have turned down a job offer

(article in Spanish)

http://www.eleconomista.es/economia/...de-empleo.html

The report is from Manpower, and they give some reasons for rejecting a job - low wages, unsociable hours, or the necessity of moving house to get the job.

I have some sympathy for those who reject ridiculously low wages. Who wants to work at a place where the existing staff probably earn more than you, and where the boss is making a lot of money out of you without paying a decent wage? However, it can be argued that any job in the current climate should be accepted.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 26% of unemployed catalans have turned down a job offer

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
(article in Spanish)

The report is from Manpower, and they give some reasons for rejecting a job - low wages, unsociable hours, or the necessity of moving house to get the job.

I have some sympathy for those who reject ridiculously low wages. Who wants to work at a place where the existing staff probably earn more than you, and where the boss is making a lot of money out of you without paying a decent wage? However, it can be argued that any job in the current climate should be accepted.

Or could it be that they aren't offering contracts? People are, perhaps, looking for more security these days.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

(article in Spanish)

A friend of mine in BCN has turned down a couple of jobs whilst he has been unemployed the last few years

The reason: the pay is a third less than it used to be 10 years ago, for the same job.

He's lucky that his partner can earn for both of them
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:29 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
A friend of mine in BCN has turned down a couple of jobs whilst he has been unemployed the last few years

The reason: the pay is a third less than it used to be 10 years ago, for the same job.

He's lucky that his partner can earn for both of them
I'm afraid that is going to be more common than not. I've certainly seen it here in London in differing sectors - IT, decorating, plumbing. Anything that can be done more cheaply by an economic migrant, or outsourced overseas, will be. Funnily enough, the salaries of company directors don't seem to have been affected.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken a short term lease on a bankrupt urbanisation ( plenty around )
The bank that took over offered the sales rep her same job at 50% of her previous salary.
She is a single mother and had no choice but to accept the offer
Old Aug 29th 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have a feeling we will be back to a system of surfs and bankers/landowners before too long
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes I have a feeling we will be back to a system of surfs and bankers/landowners before too long
Didn't the serf's recently rescue the bankers from their self made cesspit?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Didn't the serf's recently rescue the bankers from their self made cesspit?
No, unfortunately that was the democratically elected privately educated sons of banking millionnaires who further indebted future generations of surfs by ensuring good bonuses to their family and friends in the investment banking industry over the next few years

That is until the whole system goes bust, but hey, they'll be asset rich by then and can bugger off to somewhere comfortable for a bit while the peasants fight it out over some loaves of bread

Btw, have you seen whats been happening in Chile? The students have taken to the streets to demand their right to free education and have vowed to bring down the government if thats what it takes. If British kids were taught any history (and had any balls) thats what they would be doing too.

Instead a few scoundrals went round robbing trainers and stealing bowls of ice cream
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:23 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

(article in Spanish)

I had more than one of those in the UK
too many bosses demand 110% loyalty from people without giving even 75% back
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Or could it be that they aren't offering contracts? People are, perhaps, looking for more security these days.
I know of one company in Spain that is employing people on an initial 6m temp contract, renewing for a further 6m then letting them go for economic reasons - if they are employed on temp for more than 12m they have to be employed permanant.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:39 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Domino
I know of one company in Spain that is employing people on an initial 6m temp contract, renewing for a further 6m then letting them go for economic reasons - if they are employed on temp for more than 12m they have to be employed permanant.
I may have read this wrong, but I understand even that requirement to be made permanent (after 12 months) is being quietly dropped by the government. It's meant to make employing staff easier, and thus a measure to improve the numbers of jobs.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I may have read this wrong, but I understand even that requirement to be made permanent (after 12 months) is being quietly dropped by the government. It's meant to make employing staff easier, and thus a measure to improve the numbers of jobs.
Yep, people can now be employed on a youth contract until they are 35

They may as well go the whole hog and drop the finiquito payment altogether. At least then companies will brave enough to hire people
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

The Madrid-based Argentinian entrepreneur Martin Varsavsky discusses options here on how to reduce unemployment - he had a meeting with the PSOE candidate Rubalcaba to discuss this:

http://english.martinvarsavsky.net/o...rubalcaba.html

What really and concretely happened to this country is that it went from building 800K new homes a year to building 100K and around 12% of the labor force ended up unemployed. That explains 80% of what is wrong here. The rest of the industries were hurt in this crisis but not as badly as the construction industry. Spain can be turned around if we focus on growing the rest of the economy. So far what happened here is that the growth of Spain was fake, based on increasing debt and not sustainable sectors of the economy. My plan promotes employment in whatever sector may end up hiring without having government try to guess exactly how to grow the economy.

I am happy that Rubalcaba said he would have an economist specialized in tax revenues study my plan. Common sense tells me that my plan is a net revenue generator for the government from day one. Why?

Because it only applies to new employees and only on businesses that increase their work force compared to 2011.

Because there is a pool of 5 million unemployed and net job increases must come to a great percentage from this pool.

Because government stops paying the unemployed the moment they join a business and this produces immediate savings.

Because even if the government does not immediately get social charges they will get social charges over time and anyone making financial projections on tax revenue collections will have this into account. As a result rating agencies will see positive trends on tax collections and ratings will improve, this will lower the cost of borrowing for Spain. Shirking the debt premium produces enormous savings.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I do not know if employment law has changed in the UK over the last five years but I worked for a very large British multi-national company that employed temps on 3m contracts for years, after 3 years they often put them on permanent contracts but in the last few years of me working there they stopped any new permanent contracts from shop floor to middle management.

Graham
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I do not know if employment law has changed in the UK over the last five years but I worked for a very large British multi-national company that employed temps on 3m contracts for years, after 3 years they often put them on permanent contracts but in the last few years of me working there they stopped any new permanent contracts from shop floor to middle management.

Graham
ISTR the biggest user of temps was (obviously) HMG.. Met some who worked 11 months then took a month holiday over the Christmas quiet period to come back again for another temp period.
however, about a year ago a local (uk) company made a number of people redundant. Not a big thing nowadays, but it transpired that over 30% were employed on a temp contract and paid by an agency. One guy had been using the same CNC machine for almost 20 years and hadnt realised (he said) that he wasnt a company employee, he got no redundancy payments whatsoever.

further ISTR it was the HMRC IR35 rulings that were started to stop people leaving a company and setting up their own "trading vehicle" to take advantage of tax loopholes whilst on a "temporary" contract - that lasted for years.

however, uk experiences\reminiscences have no relevance to Spanish employment laws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.