Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

25 Year old moving to Spain advice

25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Old Dec 22nd 2021, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Working for a lot of global companies over the years, we actually relocated very few people. So I wouldn't want to give Tom the impression that it's something very frequent, but it's definitely possible

It helps enormously when the candidate is motivated and informed. I've interviewed candidates in the past who want to move to "Europe". Or who want to move to a specific country, but have done little or no research on what working and living there really involves. That always makes me doubt whether they will really go through with the process or if they will relocate and then change their mind a year later

If Tom really wants to move to Spain, but is willing to consider a move to France or Portugal instead then I'd suggest he doesn't volunteer the fact that Spain is an eventual desire and he demonstrates some knowledge and commitment to whatever country he is interviewing for a role in. Things like knowing the cost of living, something about the language and customs, it all helps build a picture of a committed relocator, rather than someone who fancies "trying it out"

Old Dec 22nd 2021, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomGardner21
It doesn't have to be EU, although it's convenient to be able jump on a plane and be back in London in a couple of hours.

Canada does interest me, but obviously I have the problem 2 years down the line that, if I become attached to it and start to form relationships, I can't come back!
Can't come back to where? If you liked Canada, you could look at applying for PR once you're there working.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 12:20 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Yes of course. Just saying that a company can pick employees from other EU locations without the hassle.
Moses do you understand the recruitment process? HR organise the recruitment process and do the touchy-feely bit to make sure the candidate is OK and there are no red flags. HR may filter candidates at the start or it may be the hiring manager and HR may conduct interviews initially or be involved interviews during the hiring process. It varies from firm to firm, but usually the interview process are formalised process, but saying that some mangers don't even stick to that.

It is the hiring manager who makes the decision about the merits of the candidate in terms of their ability to meet the requirement of the role. However, as raised by another poster this will be within the context of the candidate settling down and not getting the heebie-jeebies and deciding to make a bolt for their home country again. If the hiring manager decides that he likes a particular candidate, it is for HR to sort out the logistics of getting that candidate relocated to the country and the associated paperwork.

As also pointed out by a poster just above, the number of people who do relocate will be relatively few, given all he hurdles. A candidate that does it successfully will need to have a desirable skill set and demonstrate that they have the motivation to make the move a success.

Tom knows best if he has sufficiently marketable skills to attract the interest of a manager in another country.

Moses, you have got my blood pressure up so I am going to go for a menu del dia and get lost in the Loire valley (or the Spanish equivalent), as a bottle of plonk is included.

ATB
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Moses do you understand the recruitment process? HR organise the recruitment process and do the touchy-feely bit to make sure the candidate is OK and there are no red flags. HR may filter candidates at the start or it may be the hiring manager and HR may conduct interviews initially or be involved interviews during the hiring process. It varies from firm to firm, but usually the interview process are formalised process, but saying that some mangers don't even stick to that.

It is the hiring manager who makes the decision about the merits of the candidate in terms of their ability to meet the requirement of the role. However, as raised by another poster this will be within the context of the candidate settling down and not getting the heebie-jeebies and deciding to make a bolt for their home country again. If the hiring manager decides that he likes a particular candidate, it is for HR to sort out the logistics of getting that candidate relocated to the country and the associated paperwork.

As also pointed out by a poster just above, the number of people who do relocate will be relatively few, given all he hurdles. A candidate that does it successfully will need to have a desirable skill set and demonstrate that they have the motivation to make the move a success.

Tom knows best if he has sufficiently marketable skills to attract the interest of a manager in another country.

Moses, you have got my blood pressure up so I am going to go for a menu del dia and get lost in the Loire valley (or the Spanish equivalent), as a bottle of plonk is included.

ATB
Keep your blood pressure down and I just said it's not always that easy after Brexit. HR don't change the law, so why do you think one of the questions is "Are you legally authorized to work in ....."
Have you not heard about the recent frustration with TUI and only candidates with an EU passport can apply. Tom could be highly qualified but it's all down to employment laws in that country.
What about Spain?

In Germany it's now a bit easier:
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...-eu-nationals/The new regulation, which among others makes it possible to gain employment in Germany even in jobs that could be filled by Germans or EU nationals, and permits foreigners to come to Germany for up to half a year to seek work, intends to provide easier access to the German labour market for qualified workers from non-EU countries.

It also aims to increase the numbers of the workforce in Germany, as many positions remain vacant due to a lack of skills and workers.

https://avalanding.com/hiring-non-eu-workers-to-spain/

Why is it challenging to hire non-EU workers?

First, Spain’s labor immigration policy is based on the idea that you should hire Spanish nationals or residents in the first place. Therefore, generally, in order to bring in a foreign worker from abroad, you will need to prove that the position that you are hiring for could not be covered by an unemployed worker in Spain. There are ways around this in certain cases, but in those cases where you actually have to prove that the specific foreign worker you want to hire is essential for your company, that extra procedure will imply a longer process and a delay in the incorporation of the worker in your staff and it’s important to be aware of this from the start.

Second, in order for you to cover the position in an effective way, it is important for you to be aware of what procedure to follow and plan for realistic processing times so that you do not have to leave a position uncovered for longer than expected. Or, there may even be times where you would very much like to hire a specific person for a position but once properly informed about the options you may just realize that this is not viable because the processing times are too long or the outcome too uncertain. In either case, this article aims to help you in getting a basic understanding of what type of position you can relatively easily process work permits for, for your new non-EU worker, and in what cases you should find European workers to do the job.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 22nd 2021 at 1:59 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
But surely the issue is that HR has to start by applying to the authorities for a work permit (in France it comes under the Foreign Office umbrella). HR can only go ahead with all the rest of it, notifications and declarations and registering and relocation preperations and all, if the work permit is granted, and that's out of their hands. No matter how much the hiring manager wants the candidate, and what pressure he puts on HR to get it sorted, if the foreign office doesn't accept that the skills required for the post can't be found locally, they won't issue the permit and the company can't employ that candidate.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Employment wise, EU states will always give priority to EU nationals. Dual UK/EU passport holders will be at an advantage because it's far less hassle for employers. I noticed that the crew on Ryanair were all EU nationals for example.

UK nationals have lost part of their citizenship and rights to freedom of movement which (as people were warned on numerous occasions) has consequences and there is no point in pretending otherwise.

That's not to say it's impossible to be transferred to the EU, but it is much more difficult, it stands to reason.

That is why I would opt for Ireland because freedom of movement is key.

Last edited by Lou71; Dec 22nd 2021 at 6:43 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
This thread make me realise how lucky I am to be a pre-Brexit pensioner with healthcare paid by HMG and no visa complications!

For others it now seems to be a nightmare.
You emigrated at the right time Fred, its no harder being an immigrant to Spain than it is moving to live in other countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand where you'd be expected to cover health care and fund your pension plan or provide needed skills that contribute to the economy.

I voted remain, we lost the vote but I quit the moaning, there's no going back and we have to work to a better future which won't happen overnight.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Daveyboywill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,
I believe there is always a way around things eventually and I had thought about the gib route, I lost my father in June and my mother 6 days ago(21 December) and have decided enough is enough, as it happens I’ve just bought a place near sabinillas and am seriously thinking about how I can get out there full time, I’m in the construction industry and have started emailing companies about available positions and whether they could sponsor me to get me over full time, any advice will be greatly welcomed.
thanks and good luck Tom.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveyboywill
Hi guys,
I believe there is always a way around things eventually and I had thought about the gib route, I lost my father in June and my mother 6 days ago(21 December) and have decided enough is enough, as it happens I’ve just bought a place near sabinillas and am seriously thinking about how I can get out there full time, I’m in the construction industry and have started emailing companies about available positions and whether they could sponsor me to get me over full time, any advice will be greatly welcomed.
Best of luck Davey

Some idea of where you fit in construction or your qualifications would help

There are thousands of Spaniards and others in construction who cross into Gib daily

Old Dec 27th 2021, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fred and thanks for the reply,

im a carpenter by trade, nvq level 2 who has also been involved in civil engineering/groundworks for 25yrs plus, started on the ground and have now progressed into management, built houses,schools,hospitals and prisons in the uk. Do you know of any English construction firms that operate in Spain?

thanks.

Dave.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
Sorry to hear. If you invested 500k in real estate maybe the Golden Visa would be an option?
Old Dec 27th 2021, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi Moses,
thanks for your reply but I’m struggling to get hold of 500k legally.😀
Old Dec 27th 2021, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Moses,
thanks for your reply but I’m struggling to get hold of 500k legally.😀
Sure, I think you mentioned previously that you also owned properties in the UK. If for example all amounted to £421K, I heard that you also qualify if the total of all properties amount to 500K in Spain. I could be wrong though. Just a thought.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sure, I think you mentioned previously that you also owned properties in the UK. If for example all amounted to £421K, I heard that you also qualify if the total of all properties amount to 500K in Spain. I could be wrong though. Just a thought.
Yes, you can invest in a range of properties if the total investment comes to at least 500k euro. You must pay cash and not buy with a loan or mortgage.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 9:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It also it must all be in the name of the applicant. No joint ownership unless it’s over 1m. It is retrospective to , I think, 2013.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.