Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

25 Year old moving to Spain advice

25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Old Dec 19th 2021, 5:27 pm
  #61  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 5
mag.w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Ps. By the way please take a map - I was not born in Eastern Europe and I hate that some people do not understand the difference between Central Europe and Eastern Europe!
I was born and raised between Germany, Poland and US where my family resides - I first landed in the UK when I was 16 years old. Again you made ridiculous assumptions!

My place of birth or ethnicity should not be used by anyone to justify why I may or may have not achieved something in life. It is totally wicked.
Next think you know they see a black person and say, no she could have not been born in Germany or let alone the Catholic white Poland… she is mixed race black!

What we achieve in life DEPENDS on us, not where we come from, let alone where we were born!

I do not know why I am even responding, the intellectual level of this conversation is depressing!
Get a grip of yourself.

mag.w is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 5:36 pm
  #62  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,160
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

No reason to swear and not allowed here. Everything is based on your life, so it won't help people who are in a different situation (Visa requirements, job market etc.). No, I don't know it all and also make mistakes. It would be wrong if the financial advisor gave the same finacial advice to every client. It wasn't about you and I don't care if you are from East or West Germany and it was an example. Mir ist das egal.......... So are you telling me that I can move to the US with a German passport and don't need a Visa?
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 5:50 pm
  #63  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 660
Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Oh dear ...here we go again. If you want support for a decision just say it. If you want advice just say it. Dont get angry if people tell you something that you dont want to hear. As far as the OP is concerned there was some fairly practical advice given. Firstly the OP is not vaccinated so needs to get that done first and to check what might be needed for her daughter. Secondly she needs to be prepared to take a Spanish driving licence ( the practical which is normally taken in Spanish). Thirdly check on tax implications as the OP has already indicated that she is well off and therefore it makes sense to minimise any tax liabilities where possible. Fourthly she needs to register for TIEs, secure healthcare and get the doctors certificate for her daughter. That seems reasonable advice. I dont think there needs to be any rude response to it.
Chipmonk is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 6:21 pm
  #64  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 5
mag.w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

“It wasn’t about you”…


Oh so now, it was not about me, how funny, but somehow you referred specifically to my circumstances in your little story telling, and by the way circumstances not even from here (!), because this thread is about the young person considering Spain and not about me or my daughter or where I am heading to or where I was born!

Of course once you made your ridiculous comments how allegedly :

”The biggest problem is that these type of people will say it worked out for me and that's it. They don't look at the indvidual and seem to think their way is the right way. There's a big difference when you came from a poor Eastern European country (at that time) and moved to a country that offers more career options and a higher minimum wage with no visa required. At first you want to help and then you quickly realise who is actually trolling. I know these type and they are happy to take away the sea view from 100 others, live in a gated community somewhere near Sotogrande and know it all. Just go for it is the advice but if you ever dare to take their sea view, they are the first to complain. I can also imagine how their managing skills are and if you ever tell them they did something wrong you won't last long. Being positive is great but don't forget that these people won't pick you up when you are on the ground. Fine if they own multiple properties and think their kids are the best and then mention they earn a lot. Do these people really know Spain? Take it with a pinch of salt and I'm sure you'll do the right thing.”


Of course once you made the ridiculous untruthful statements above and have been called on your shite, now you are saying it is not about me. Oh well, more nonsense I guess!

Do not assume and do not attack because you are causing your own misfortune when someone who you referred to, like me now, decides to respond and it bites right back!

Cheers!
mag.w is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 6:24 pm
  #65  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 538
agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Yawn!

agree_to_disagree is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 6:27 pm
  #66  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,160
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Originally Posted by mag.w View Post
“It wasn’t about you”…


Oh so now, it was not about me, how funny, but somehow you referred specifically to my circumstances in your little story telling, and by the way circumstances not even from here (!), because this thread is about the young person considering Spain and not about me or my daughter or where I am heading to or where I was born!

Of course once you made your ridiculous comments how allegedly :

”The biggest problem is that these type of people will say it worked out for me and that's it. They don't look at the indvidual and seem to think their way is the right way. There's a big difference when you came from a poor Eastern European country (at that time) and moved to a country that offers more career options and a higher minimum wage with no visa required. At first you want to help and then you quickly realise who is actually trolling. I know these type and they are happy to take away the sea view from 100 others, live in a gated community somewhere near Sotogrande and know it all. Just go for it is the advice but if you ever dare to take their sea view, they are the first to complain. I can also imagine how their managing skills are and if you ever tell them they did something wrong you won't last long. Being positive is great but don't forget that these people won't pick you up when you are on the ground. Fine if they own multiple properties and think their kids are the best and then mention they earn a lot. Do these people really know Spain? Take it with a pinch of salt and I'm sure you'll do the right thing.”


Of course once you made the ridiculous untruthful statements above and have been called on your shite, now you are saying it is not about me. Oh well, more nonsense I guess!

Do not assume and do not attack because you are causing your own misfortune when someone who you referred to, like me now, decides to respond and it bites right back!

Cheers!
Of course it's about you. The only thing that wasn't about you was the Eastern Europe bit and just general example that when you move to a country that offers better jobs, it's always easier. Since you've come here I can see that it's all about you.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 6:32 pm
  #67  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,455
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

I suspèct that the OP has decided not to continue to put any posts on his thread. Such a shame that some people throw their toys out of the pram and spoil what could have remained as an informative thread. Due to the way this thread has gone downhill I am closing it.

Sorry Tom

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 8:50 pm
  #68  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,455
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

I am opening this thread again at the request of Tom. This is his thread which he opened in order to gain some information not for other members to derail it and have petty pathetic squabbles.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 8:54 pm
  #69  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 24
TomGardner21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Think there was some confusion due to my absence on this thread, but I was the OP and have been vaccinated and have a driving license!

As Spain looks increasingly tricky to work in, it got me thinking how it compares to the rest of Europe? What actually is the easiest country to work in, in the EU?
TomGardner21 is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 9:17 pm
  #70  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 630
Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Originally Posted by TomGardner21 View Post
Think there was some confusion due to my absence on this thread, but I was the OP and have been vaccinated and have a driving license!

As Spain looks increasingly tricky to work in, it got me thinking how it compares to the rest of Europe? What actually is the easiest country to work in, in the EU?
I would imagine it would be Ireland as you will need a visa for the rest.
I think your Uk driving licence is also valid as well.
You wont need any language skills, so thats one thing you can leave while you concentrate on work or study.

At 25 you are still young enough to experiment and try different things, its good that you are thinking of broadening your knowledge. But research is always the key.

When I was your age I was travelling Europe working and I can tell you that after a while, you ignore all those back at home who ask 'what was it like'
All I saw was the airport, taxi (or hire car), Factory, Hotel repeat...I got so fed up with hotel food, when I did go on holiday I went self catering (and I only had 3 holidays in 10 years)

If you need to move for work, it don't matter if the sun is shining, there is a nice beach cause you wont experience much of it.
But don't just move cause you are fed up with where you are. The grass is not greener (although there may be more or less of it)

Again Ive already said this, if you want a different experience then the East or even parts of Australia will give that (well as long as you keep away from the bigger cities).

Let us know what you decide. And post the info in which ever country forum pages you end up....
Barriej is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2021, 9:36 pm
  #71  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 24
TomGardner21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Originally Posted by Barriej View Post
I would imagine it would be Ireland as you will need a visa for the rest.
I think your Uk driving licence is also valid as well.
You wont need any language skills, so thats one thing you can leave while you concentrate on work or study.

At 25 you are still young enough to experiment and try different things, its good that you are thinking of broadening your knowledge. But research is always the key.

When I was your age I was travelling Europe working and I can tell you that after a while, you ignore all those back at home who ask 'what was it like'
All I saw was the airport, taxi (or hire car), Factory, Hotel repeat...I got so fed up with hotel food, when I did go on holiday I went self catering (and I only had 3 holidays in 10 years)

If you need to move for work, it don't matter if the sun is shining, there is a nice beach cause you wont experience much of it.
But don't just move cause you are fed up with where you are. The grass is not greener (although there may be more or less of it)

Again Ive already said this, if you want a different experience then the East or even parts of Australia will give that (well as long as you keep away from the bigger cities).

Let us know what you decide. And post the info in which ever country forum pages you end up....

I've heard Portugal is easier? (Not easier than Ireland but Spain!)
TomGardner21 is offline  
Old Dec 20th 2021, 1:21 am
  #72  
BE Enthusiast
 
Loco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 349
Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

The attachment was the official rules issued by the Spanish Government for UK citizens wishing to apply for a non lucrative visa. PM me your email if you want a copy.

From what you say it is probably the best way for you to try and achieve what you said you wanted to do in your first post if you can meet the income requirement.

As for Portugal the rules are much the same.

In both cases another theroetical option is to get a Job offer in either and apply for a Visa on the basis the Job requires a skill set no EU citizen can fulfill.o Given your skill set very hard given nearly all the Irish speak English, most Dutch do and many Germans do.

It may just be possible if worded extremely tightly. Much the same as years ago when in the UK Indian restaurants couldn't get Visas for chefs from India as the UK, following European law, wouldn't grant visas: They got round it by changing the job requirement to include very specific skills, "advertised" the job a few times in ways no applicants applied or were deemed suitable and then went back to immigration who granted the visas.

If you want to do some on the ground research on ESP and PT or Gib happy to let you base yourself in one of my apartments for a week or so FOC.

I live on the Spanish side of the Southern Border so minutes away from the Algarve, Seville an hour away, Malaga and Gib a bit further, Madrid and Lisbon a few hours away and Valencia 6 hours away and Barcelona 7 hours.

Best
Loco





Loco is offline  
Old Dec 20th 2021, 9:25 am
  #73  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 538
agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Tom, there are few jobs in Portugal and the salaries are very low there.

As a first step you might try Ireland. Lots of work there and they speak English. Regard it as a first step to in your journey to explore the world. A stint of 6 months or a year there and you´ll be much better equipped to explore more challenging countries.
agree_to_disagree is offline  
Old Dec 20th 2021, 10:14 am
  #74  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 24
TomGardner21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree View Post
Tom, there are few jobs in Portugal and the salaries are very low there.

As a first step you might try Ireland. Lots of work there and they speak English. Regard it as a first step to in your journey to explore the world. A stint of 6 months or a year there and you´ll be much better equipped to explore more challenging countries.
You can work remotely in Portugal, no? My company have said they will let me do this.
TomGardner21 is offline  
Old Dec 20th 2021, 10:20 am
  #75  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 538
agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

One of the easiest and cost effective ways to transition to living in a new country is if your exisiting UK employer is going to support you with that move. In fact to the point that it is almost a no-brainer to do it that way, if you can.

So what option are your company offering you:

1) Continue under an existing UK contract for a short period of secondment/remote working in Portugal?
2) Permantely move to Portugal, take up residence and get a Portugese employment contract?

If other, can you share the details please?
agree_to_disagree is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.