Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

25 Year old moving to Spain advice

25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Old Dec 11th 2021, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

The OP would be better off learning new skills in the UK that would make a move to an English speaking country possible, more than likely easier to move with skills to Australia or New Zealand and maybe Canada than it is moving to Spain.since Brexit.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to hear from the OP to know what his thoughts are after all the suggestions, advice and comments.

What are your thoughts Tom?

Steve
Old Dec 11th 2021, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

But if what Tom wants is basically to turn his back on the whole 21st century anglo-saxon mindset then moving to Australia would not help at all. Whether the Spanish mindset is better or not is of course a different question.

Yes it would be good if Tom comes back and continues the discussion, I think there have been some interesting points raised.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

OP might be gone but this is also a good option to maybe get connections in Spain and talk to people who are local. https://www.volunteerworld.com/de/vo...n-spain-bilbao
Old Dec 12th 2021, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

TomGardner21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bob_bob
The OP would be better off learning new skills in the UK that would make a move to an English speaking country possible, more than likely easier to move with skills to Australia or New Zealand and maybe Canada than it is moving to Spain.since Brexit.
I've actually been looking at The Open University and some courses I could potentially do to get some qualifications under my belt. I have to say Canada has also appealed to me before, and if I could move into a role that is on their 'skilled worker' list and have a year of experience in that role then it could become possible. Maybe worth trading my Spanish classes for French in that case! Although I'm already a few months into it and I would like to keep going, I'm sure it will open some doors and give me some options in the future,

Old Dec 12th 2021, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tebo53
It would be nice to hear from the OP to know what his thoughts are after all the suggestions, advice and comments.

What are your thoughts Tom?

Steve
I've really valued everyone's opinion and honestly thank you so much everyone for helping me out. In terms of my thoughts - It's been a weird couple of days. I was pretty down when I found out how hard it was to move to Spain. I've done a lot of re-evaluating and have taken a step back to access where I'm at and where I'm going. I've been working from home for nearly two years and still live with my family, which has been really challenging. I think first thing for me would be to move out and get some space! I'm going to work on myself a lot in the next year by getting some more qualifications and experience - which will hopefully lead to some opportunities to move abroad in the future if I still want to do that.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
OP might be gone but this is also a good option to maybe get connections in Spain and talk to people who are local. https://www.volunteerworld.com/de/vo...n-spain-bilbao
That does look interesting.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 6:01 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomGardner21
I've really valued everyone's opinion and honestly thank you so much everyone for helping me out. In terms of my thoughts - It's been a weird couple of days. I was pretty down when I found out how hard it was to move to Spain. I've done a lot of re-evaluating and have taken a step back to access where I'm at and where I'm going. I've been working from home for nearly two years and still live with my family, which has been really challenging. I think first thing for me would be to move out and get some space! I'm going to work on myself a lot in the next year by getting some more qualifications and experience - which will hopefully lead to some opportunities to move abroad in the future if I still want to do that.
You're are doing the right thing by trying to explore world!

Basically, moving to the EU has become nigh on impossible for anyone from the UK, thanks to (the narrow minded) Brexiteers.

Check out where else you can go in the world and if you need another language then focus on that. Getting additional qualifications in the UK is a good idea, without a doubt!

If you are very keen on Spanish, then Latin America is still an option, but wages are very low there, but you might be able to scrape a living.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
Old Dec 13th 2021, 3:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Wise decision! All the best for your future!
Old Dec 14th 2021, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually been looking at The Open University and some courses I could potentially do to get some qualifications under my belt. I have to say Canada has also appealed to me before, and if I could move into a role that is on their 'skilled worker' list and have a year of experience in that role then it could become possible. Maybe worth trading my Spanish classes for French in that case! Although I'm already a few months into it and I would like to keep going, I'm sure it will open some doors and give me some options in the future,
Canada could well suit you, but as I'm sure you're aware French will generally only be of use in the province of Quebec. We visit Montreal regularly and most folks there speak both English & French fluently. In Quebec city we've noticed that French tends to be the preferred language (plus it's colder than Montreal). Ottowa is very pleasant too, where one rarely hears French being spoken.
Wherever you end up, my advise is to gain as much experience as possible with a recognized skill.
Old Dec 18th 2021, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

mag.w is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, you can listen to all the advise under the sun and that will likely stop you from doing what you feel passionate about, what feels “right”, but without a rational explanation. If you are free, no kids, no commitments, no huge responsibilities then absolutely go for it! Considering you are a smart individual you will find a way to make it work, whether you go to Spain or elsewhere. Remember those who stay in line are majority of the population, but it is also the same majority of the population who do not get very far in life (or just get by), others it is fair to say have bene sensible with their decision making processes and have good stable jobs, but either feel trapped or unhappy or something else.
Very few of us are able to manage our lives in the perfect ways, we are all flawed and you should do what feels right for you. You need to be prepared to make mistakes and learn from them. If you are still living with your family (I am guessing so) then until you throw yourself in the deep water you will not know you can swim.
Remember to just stay sensible and readjust when needed; no doubt you will have to adapt.

I may be the last person who should be advising you, but I can share the below with you:

I was still a very young student, barely legal age, when I left my family home and moved to another country. It would take too long to say what happened in the next 20 years, but in short: I shared flats with others, even rooms, I could not afford rent, I was always working hard though, hard but smart, I studied, I graduated, I gave birth to two beautiful children 7 years apart, I worked my way up from tidying up and being a “nobody” to becoming a director I am today. I did all of this while learning the language because it was not my home country.
Today I earn a lot of money (by normal people standards), however my job has run me to the ground. So as you can see even when you achieve what once was impossible you still have to sometimes make adjustments. I bought a house in Spain, brand new development in 2019, overlooking Gibraltar, house is nearly completed and I AM looking to run away myself with the family and F off everything I have spent the past 20 years building (well, not completely because I will continue working!)

Good luck! X

Old Dec 19th 2021, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mag.w
Well, you can listen to all the advise under the sun and that will likely stop you from doing what you feel passionate about, what feels “right”, but without a rational explanation. If you are free, no kids, no commitments, no huge responsibilities then absolutely go for it! Considering you are a smart individual you will find a way to make it work, whether you go to Spain or elsewhere. Remember those who stay in line are majority of the population, but it is also the same majority of the population who do not get very far in life (or just get by), others it is fair to say have bene sensible with their decision making processes and have good stable jobs, but either feel trapped or unhappy or something else.
Very few of us are able to manage our lives in the perfect ways, we are all flawed and you should do what feels right for you. You need to be prepared to make mistakes and learn from them. If you are still living with your family (I am guessing so) then until you throw yourself in the deep water you will not know you can swim.
Remember to just stay sensible and readjust when needed; no doubt you will have to adapt.

I may be the last person who should be advising you, but I can share the below with you:

I was still a very young student, barely legal age, when I left my family home and moved to another country. It would take too long to say what happened in the next 20 years, but in short: I shared flats with others, even rooms, I could not afford rent, I was always working hard though, hard but smart, I studied, I graduated, I gave birth to two beautiful children 7 years apart, I worked my way up from tidying up and being a “nobody” to becoming a director I am today. I did all of this while learning the language because it was not my home country.
Today I earn a lot of money (by normal people standards), however my job has run me to the ground. So as you can see even when you achieve what once was impossible you still have to sometimes make adjustments. I bought a house in Spain, brand new development in 2019, overlooking Gibraltar, house is nearly completed and I AM looking to run away myself with the family and F off everything I have spent the past 20 years building (well, not completely because I will continue working!)

Good luck! X

Fair enough advice but remember that at the moment if you prefer not to step in line because you regard yourself as different you might find small petty things a bit of a problem: without a full vaccination certificate you won't get into Spain, get into restaurants, visit hospitals, get entry to public offices.

Last edited by Rosemary; Dec 19th 2021 at 8:33 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Dec 19th 2021, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chipmonk

Fair enough advice but remember that at the moment if you prefer not to step in line because you regard yourself as different you might find small petty things a bit of a problem: without a full vaccination certificate you won't get into Spain, get into restaurants, visit hospitals, get entry to public offices.
Getting vaccinated is no longer a petty thing, it is essential if you want to cross the border. I understand Spain made it mandatory this month.

Previously some would panic and tell you that you cannot leave the house without the vaccine, as they do, but people could still travel and just do all the testing back and forth, plus self isolate, but at least you could hop on a plane. No longer an option as we know.

Old Dec 19th 2021, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Therein lies the problem. Every now and then you get people pop up out of nowhere and they are quick to moan if your advice is not what they want to hear. They quote that you are the troll and compare this site to a newspaper I've never heard of and why do they subscribe to that paper if it's apparently so bad? The biggest problem is that these type of people will say it worked out for me and that's it. They don't look at the indvidual and seem to think their way is the right way. There's a big difference when you came from a poor Eastern European country (at that time) and moved to a country that offers more career options and a higher minimum wage with no visa required. At first you want to help and then you quickly realise who is actually trolling. I know these type and they are happy to take away the sea view from 100 others, live in a gated community somewhere near Sotogrande and know it all. Just go for it is the advice but if you ever dare to take their sea view, they are the first to complain. I can also imagine how their managing skills are and if you ever tell them they did something wrong you won't last long. Being positive is great but don't forget that these people won't pick you up when you are on the ground. Fine if they own multiple properties and think their kids are the best and then mention they earn a lot. Do these people really know Spain? Take it with a pinch of salt and I'm sure you'll do the right thing.
Old Dec 19th 2021, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Therein lies the problem. Every now and then you get people pop up out of nowhere and they are quick to moan if your advice is not what they want to hear. They quote that you are the troll and compare this site to a newspaper I've never heard of and why do they subscribe to that paper if it's apparently so bad? The biggest problem is that these type of people will say it worked out for me and that's it. They don't look at the indvidual and seem to think their way is the right way. There's a big difference when you came from a poor Eastern European country (at that time) and moved to a country that offers more career options and a higher minimum wage with no visa required. At first you want to help and then you quickly realise who is actually trolling. I know these type and they are happy to take away the sea view from 100 others, live in a gated community somewhere near Sotogrande and know it all. Just go for it is the advice but if you ever dare to take their sea view, they are the first to complain. I can also imagine how their managing skills are and if you ever tell them they did something wrong you won't last long. Being positive is great but don't forget that these people won't pick you up when you are on the ground. Fine if they own multiple properties and think their kids are the best and then mention they earn a lot. Do these people really know Spain? Take it with a pinch of salt and I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

That’s it, take it with a pinch of salt :-)
I think you clearly think you know better and do not hesitate to say so - if you were talking about me in your little story above then let me tell you, it would not sell a copy.

I moved to the UK as a student, I left home on very good terms, and financially had a very privileged childhood, but said no to my family inheritance as I wanted to build something by myself, so your little comment that allegedly I came from somewhere poor is pathetic to say the least. Why do people think it is ok to make assumptions?
I started my adult live with no money by pure choice, in the UK I had to share rooms and learn that the organised clean and nice place where I was born and then raised was no longer available to me, because I chose the filthy outskirts of London. This worked for me because I MADE it work and your comments are not only unappreciated, they are pure idiocy based on your fantasyland.

Please keep your mouth shut if you have nothing nice to say to people.
People like you can always find a “but”, anything to belittle someone’s success or chances of succeeding.

Best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.