Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

25 Year old moving to Spain advice

25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Old Dec 9th 2021, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 Year old moving to Spain advice

Tom you can still walk into Gibraltar without a visa

Go for it

A life of regrets would be soul destroying

Minimal language problems
Old Dec 9th 2021, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

TomGardner21 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's not a bad idea to be honest! Is it really that easy for a UK citizen to move?

Last edited by TomGardner21; Dec 9th 2021 at 9:08 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2021, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Could you work in Gibraltar and live over the border in Spain?
Old Dec 9th 2021, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Because I'm assuming you don't need the work visa if you're just living there and crossing the border to work in Gib each day?
Old Dec 10th 2021, 3:08 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
But how can you stay for 6 months without a visa?
A UK resident can stay in the Schengen area for up 90 days in 180 days, i.e. 2 x 90 days or 6 months /year. Non-residents: How long can you stay in Spain without residency after Brexit? - Property Guides from Kyero : Property Guides from Kyero
Old Dec 10th 2021, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomGardner21
That's not a bad idea to be honest! Is it really that easy for a UK citizen to move?
Yes
Old Dec 10th 2021, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could you work in Gibraltar and live over the border in Spain?
15,000 people 10,000 of them Spanish do so on a daily basis
Old Dec 10th 2021, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
15,000 people 10,000 of them Spanish do so on a daily basis
but surely you will still need to apply for a visa to move to Spain permanently and meet the income and healthcare requirements 🤔

Steve
Old Dec 10th 2021, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Because I'm assuming you don't need the work visa if you're just living there and crossing the border to work in Gib each day?
Ask the doom-mongers on this forum

My advice, you are young give it or anything else a try.

I quit the UK 45 years ago in my 20's things were different but I survived with no regrets
Old Dec 10th 2021, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tebo53
but surely you will still need to apply for a visa to move to Spain permanently and meet the income and healthcare requirements 🤔

Steve
That's true but could it be the non-lucrative visa? Basically I would have to prove I have an income of 2,300 euros per month? Not sure about the healthcare though hahaha! But surely that can be sorted out because how would anybody ever get into Spain when applying for this visa if you needed to be a resident to get healthcare?

I think maybe I should spend some time in Gibraltar and see if I can secure a job out there. Probably quite a complicated process.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I can well understand the wish of a young person to experience other countries ( the grass is always greener etc) but I wonder why Tom has chosen Spain. Is is because of previous holiday visits, seduction by programmes such as a life in the sun? Whilst a lot of those who live in Spain think it is the best thing since sliced bread there are others who see the poverty, the bureaucracy and the unemployment. There are a lot of countries who would welcome Tom with considerable less bureaucracy and certainly less regulations - some even in the EU but I wonder why Spain?
Old Dec 10th 2021, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rspltd
I can well understand the wish of a young person to experience other countries ( the grass is always greener etc) but I wonder why Tom has chosen Spain. Is is because of previous holiday visits, seduction by programmes such as a life in the sun? Whilst a lot of those who live in Spain think it is the best thing since sliced bread there are others who see the poverty, the bureaucracy and the unemployment. There are a lot of countries who would welcome Tom with considerable less bureaucracy and certainly less regulations - some even in the EU but I wonder why Spain?
I've always loved Spanish culture (follow Spanish football, love Spanish food etc). I had a Spanish friend at school spent time over there when I was young during the summers. It's the language I've committed to learning but I have to admit there is an element of 'the grass is always greener'. I have always wanted to live in another country and suppose it made logical sense for it to be Spain. I understand there are drawbacks with Spain but I truly believe it would be worth it for me if I could make it work.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 7:28 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

That's true but could it be the non-lucrative visa? Basically I would have to prove I have an income of 2,300 euros per month? Not sure about the healthcare though hahaha! But surely that can be sorted out because how would anybody ever get into Spain when applying for this visa if you needed to be a resident to get healthcare?

I think maybe I should spend some time in Gibraltar and see if I can secure a job out there. Probably quite a complicated process.
For a NLV you need that income but you can't work, i.e. you're probably retired, and private healthcare for the first year. It's not the visa you're looking for.

I think you would need to register in Spain as a transfrontier worker working in Gibraltar and tell Gibraltar to send your social security contributions to Spain to get healthcare.

Last edited by DLC; Dec 10th 2021 at 7:31 am.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DLC
For a NLV you need that income but you can't work, i.e. you're probably retired, and private healthcare for the first year. It's not the visa you're looking for.

I think you would need to register in Spain as a transfrontier worker working in Gibraltar and tell Gibraltar to send your social security contributions to Spain to get healthcare.
OK, but in theory we think it could be possible?
Old Dec 10th 2021, 8:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I've always loved Spanish culture (follow Spanish football, love Spanish food etc). I had a Spanish friend at school spent time over there when I was young during the summers. It's the language I've committed to learning but I have to admit there is an element of 'the grass is always greener'. I have always wanted to live in another country and suppose it made logical sense for it to be Spain. I understand there are drawbacks with Spain but I truly believe it would be worth it for me if I could make it work.
Hi, butting in from the France forum, but this is a pan-European issue since Brexit, and even before.
When similar enquiries (no qualifications, no language) were made pre-Brexit, we always used to advise the person to come over for a few months on an extended holiday, to get a feel of the place. Holidays, love of the food and football, can't give you an idea of the nitty-gritty of living in another country, esp. if you can't speak the language and can't "immerse" in the country's way of life.
Post-Brexit, why not come over for the visa-free 90 days, armed with an EHIC, travel insurance and a return ticket, rent an AirBnB, live as a resident, not as a tourist, i.e. keep to your budget and not spend out willy-nilly on entertainment. You'll see whether living in Spain is really for you and can check the work situation on the spot. If you do find an employer willing to "sponsor" you, then you return to the UK and apply for a Visa. If not, then you return to the UK and reconsider your options.
Have you kept in touch with your friend and his family? They could possibly help with accommodation, at least at the beginning of your stay....
As suggested, if you're really keen/desperate to leave the UK, why not consider Eire? No language problem, and you could move to Spain from there, after the necessary residence period in Eire....
HTH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.