Reload this Page >

23 year old, moving to Spain?

23 year old, moving to Spain?

Old Oct 9th 2017, 5:03 am
Just Joined

laperalimonera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 23 year old, moving to Spain?

Hello, this is my first post on here

I've wanted to move to Spain for ages now, and I think I've finally found the guts to just do it, but I tried to search basic things I should do on arrival and all of the advice seems very conflicting?! So I'm really sorry if this has been posted a million times before, but I just need help making sense of everything, so I have a few questions:
  1. As a British National, do I need to have proof of "sufficient funds" if I want to move to Spain?
  2. How easy is it to get a job in Alicante, Madrid or Barcelona?
  3. I know I need to register with the padrón, apply for an NIE number and card and sort health care. Which order do I do these things in?!
  4. How have other people dealt with their healthcare? I'm really confused about this part.
  5. How do I go about opening a bank account in Spain?
  6. I'm thinking of going with Caixa Bank, does anybody have any feedback on them?
  7. How do I get a Spanish mobile number and will it work in my current mobile?
  8. How do I go about renting a flat in Spain? How long are the contracts usually for? Is it the usual 1 months deposit + month up front? Do they do credit checks? If they do, how long do these take?

Thank you so so much for reading this and sorry again if these are annoying questions but I couldn't find straight answers anywhere!
Old Oct 9th 2017, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 23 year old, moving to Spain?

Originally Posted by laperalimonera

I've wanted to move to Spain for ages now, and I think I've finally found the guts to just do it, but I tried to search basic things I should do on arrival and all of the advice seems very conflicting?! So I'm really sorry if this has been posted a million times before, but I just need help making sense of everything, so I have a few questions:
  1. As a British National, do I need to have proof of "sufficient funds" if I want to move to Spain?
  2. How easy is it to get a job in Alicante, Madrid or Barcelona?
  3. I know I need to register with the padrón, apply for an NIE number and card and sort health care. Which order do I do these things in?!
  4. How have other people dealt with their healthcare? I'm really confused about this part.
  5. How do I go about opening a bank account in Spain?
  6. I'm thinking of going with Caixa Bank, does anybody have any feedback on them?
  7. How do I get a Spanish mobile number and will it work in my current mobile?
  8. How do I go about renting a flat in Spain? How long are the contracts usually for? Is it the usual 1 months deposit + month up front? Do they do credit checks? If they do, how long do these take?

Thank you so so much for reading this and sorry again if these are annoying questions but I couldn't find straight answers anywhere!
Hi,
1. Yes you will need to prove you have sufficient income so you do not become a burden on the state. I think the figure starts at 600 euro per month. You will not get any benefits at all.
2. It could prove very difficult to find a job in those area's you mention unless you could do something that nobody else can do. Can you speak fluent Spanish?
3. You will need to have healthcare sorted before you apply for residency. To apply for residency you will need healthcare, an NIE and proof of sufficient funds. The Padron is for when you are a full time resident and you will need an address in Spain.
4. You will need to arrange your own healthcare prior to living here. Other posters might recommend companies.
5. Bank accounts are easy to open. Just walk in a bank and ask to see a customer service person. For non residents you will need to supply your passport, a recent British utility bill and some money. It differs at different banks. When you become resident you will need to change it to a residents account. You will need to be in Spain to open an account as you need to sign loads of paperwork.
6. I can only give you feedback on Sabadell bank.
7. You can get a Spanish Mobile number by buying a Spanish SIM card. Yes they work in most phones. I am with Lebara PAYG.
8. You will usually be able to find an apartment through an estate agency. You will need to be in the area and do some leg work to find one suitable and be prepared to sign up for it same day as they are often hard to find. Months deposit and month up front. You will most likely need a bank account to satisfy the landlords requirements. Contracts for long term usually start at 1 year renewable. Credit checks are NOT usually done here.

Steve.

Last edited by tebo53; Oct 9th 2017 at 6:38 am. Reason: Additional information
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:43 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 9th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

The UK Gov website offers a lot of useful info - start here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain
Old Oct 9th 2017, 5:54 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

2. Like many your age just turn up & enjoy, buy yes if you wish to become a resident then funds are now needed.
  3. How easy is it to get a job in Alicante, Madrid or Barcelona?
  4. A good many teach English but a quality school will need proof of this & that. Down south many are again selling (scamming) timeshare or whatever new name it has now.
  5. I know I need to register with the padrón, apply for an NIE number and card and sort health care. Which order do I do these things in?!
  6. Padron can wait (I know some who have never had one) NIE is easy to get. Again many use the EHIC for some time.
  7. How have other people dealt with their healthcare? I'm really confused about this part.
  8. How do I go about opening a bank account in Spain?
  9. Again easy as other have said & Spanish banks like to charge for anything if they can get away with it. My sister who has just moved here & joined with the bank you mention got charged a "lot" of money for transferring funds in & then out to her solicitor etc.
  10. I'm thinking of going with Caixa Bank, does anybody have any feedback on them?
  11. How do I get a Spanish mobile number and will it work in my current mobile?
  12. Sim free/unlocked handset will then take any sim from any provider.
  13. How do I go about renting a flat in Spain? How long are the contracts usually for? Is it the usual 1 months deposit + month up front? Do they do credit checks? If they do, how long do these take?

Good luck.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be plenty of work for teaching English in Madrid. This site has plenty of info: Profesores - Madrid
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
There seems to be plenty of work for teaching English in Madrid. This site has plenty of info: Profesores - Madrid
Always plenty of work in the cities but also plenty of competition and unless you actually are a qualified teacher, what are the chances of full time employment. Madrid is not cheap if you're on a 25, 20 hour contract

Baxter Business Services
We are offering 25, 20 and 15 hour contracts, all of these on a fixed salary. We also work on a loose hour basis offering the following:
Teachers on a social security contract get paid between 15.00 and 17.00 per hour, net. (Net means what you receive after all tax and social security deductions). The difference depends on whether the classes are technical English or general business English classes or if the class is in blocked hours or not. We try to negotiate a travel allowance for classes outside Madrid.
Self-employed teachers invoice between 22 and 26 Euro gross per hour. The difference depends on whether the classes are technical English or general business English classes or if the class is in blocked hours or not. We try to negotiate a travel allowance for classes outside Madrid.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are we assuming the OP is a teacher?
Old Oct 10th 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Why are we assuming the OP is a teacher?
I'm not, but since he hasn't specified any particular type of work I'm assuming he is open to suggestions.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chopera
I'm not, but since he hasn't specified any particular type of work I'm assuming he is open to suggestions.
The thing about suggestions is that it's so easy to go off subject.

Perhaps the OP can reply and give us an update.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Always plenty of work in the cities but also plenty of competition and unless you actually are a qualified teacher, what are the chances of full time employment. Madrid is not cheap if you're on a 25, 20 hour contract

Baxter Business Services
We are offering 25, 20 and 15 hour contracts, all of these on a fixed salary. We also work on a loose hour basis offering the following:
Teachers on a social security contract get paid between 15.00 and 17.00 per hour, net. (Net means what you receive after all tax and social security deductions). The difference depends on whether the classes are technical English or general business English classes or if the class is in blocked hours or not. We try to negotiate a travel allowance for classes outside Madrid.
Self-employed teachers invoice between 22 and 26 Euro gross per hour. The difference depends on whether the classes are technical English or general business English classes or if the class is in blocked hours or not. We try to negotiate a travel allowance for classes outside Madrid.
I know quite a few teachers in Madrid and finding work isn't a problem, especially if you are prepared to spend a month doing a TEFL course. No the money isn't great, especially if you work in an academy. I wouldn't want to be supporting a family from it, but for someone who is young and prepared to make a few sacrifices in return for a bit of adventure it's an option.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only speaking for Valencia as I've been over a few times this year, but I've met a lot of English/Irish working in bars. I've spoken to a couple at length and they enjoy their lives out there and manage to live comfortably. Wages aren't great compared to the UK, but rent compared to the UK is much, much lower.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

So Mr La Pera Limonera, or may I call you Mr Lemon Pear, I see there are lots of you on Facebook, a restaurant in Madrid with your name, and an Almerian pizza. Which one are you? Are you extracting the Michael by any chance?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Ned,
I think you are correct Mr Lemon Pear has some knowledge of this site but appears to want everyone here to re-invent the wheel just for him/her, it appears.
Rather than going for a specific issue, would rather the world to be brought to them on a plate. A bit like sitting back and waiting for every one to do the work for them.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned flanders
So Mr La Pera Limonera, or may I call you Mr Lemon Pear, I see there are lots of you on Facebook, a restaurant in Madrid with your name, and an Almerian pizza. Which one are you? Are you extracting the Michael by any chance?

You idiot

La Pera Limonera is a complimentary idiom expressing 'high quality, or good taste'.

Just as an easy example; 'Soy la pera limonera', would mean 'I'm feeling pretty good'.

Whoever the OP is, they are obviously much wiser about Spain and Spanish colloquialisms than yourself. Why would you be trying to dis an enterprising younger person here anyway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.