Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

2 rabies jabs in the first year?????

2 rabies jabs in the first year?????

Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Sofia11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2 rabies jabs in the first year?????

My puppy got her first jab in April and I thought everything was OK, until I came by the vet clinic one day for some shopping and they told me I need another rabies on her. Why is this? I spoke to a friend of mine and she said her dog only got one rabies jab when she was a puppy. The vet told me that this is routine in Spain, but not a must in any other EU country. I wanted to travel to my home country and he said I can without the second jab. Is this really the routine?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 rabies jabs in the first year?????

Just checked both vet cards on my dogs and they each had one jab as a puppy and then yearly after this. I know that when we travelled with our cat from the UK we had to have one jab and then blood results to prove the vaccine was effective to return to the UK
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Hi I used to have our dog vaccinated every 12 months against rabies (in the UK), but when I changed vets ( as I was suing old one for nearly allowing our dog to die-long story) the new vet said that she only needed to be vaccinated every three years. However, I think this is only true in the UK and in Spain it is every 12 months, but I have not heard of it being twice a year. I would avoid that vet!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:09 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

But dont they usually do a blood test 6 weeks after the jab to make sure its "taken"?? Maybe it hadnt??? My dogs had one every year in Spain as it was a requirement should we needed to take them back to the UK

Jo xxx
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:14 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it the worrying part to Rabies Jabs is they are all the same size, irrespective of the size/weight of the dog.
So a Yorkie gets the same size as a St Bernard
Old Jul 7th 2012, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by flotsum
Just checked both vet cards on my dogs and they each had one jab as a puppy and then yearly after this. I know that when we travelled with our cat from the UK we had to have one jab and then blood results to prove the vaccine was effective to return to the UK
Only one? Now this worries me...

I am not from UK so I do not need a blood test to prove the effectiveness of the jab in my country.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Hi I used to have our dog vaccinated every 12 months against rabies (in the UK), but when I changed vets ( as I was suing old one for nearly allowing our dog to die-long story) the new vet said that she only needed to be vaccinated every three years. However, I think this is only true in the UK and in Spain it is every 12 months, but I have not heard of it being twice a year. I would avoid that vet!
They do the 3 year jabs in USA as well I know, but not in Spain. I dont know about the UK. My vet told me that from now on we only need one jab a year. This is very worrying to me. My vet is "the best" in our area, I did my research on vets to choose the right one before I got my puppy.

Originally Posted by Domino
As I understand it the worrying part to Rabies Jabs is they are all the same size, irrespective of the size/weight of the dog.
So a Yorkie gets the same size as a St Bernard
Now this is a big part of my worry. My puppy is barely 3 kg...........
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:14 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Rabies shots are fairly toxic. I could not imagine more than an annual. And yes in the US it is every three years.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:28 am
Just Joined

I am thinking that I should have never trusted this vet just like that. I will go to another vet clinic right here where I live that seems good, and talk to them about it on Monday. My poor puppy now has 2 rabies jabs and yes I know that they are toxic. Thank God she is fine... For now anyways
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Dont now need to have blood test to prove it has taken that was dropped from January I think it was this year.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Dont now need to have blood test to prove it has taken that was dropped from January I think it was this year.
Are you referring to Spain.
According to this it was still necessary in the UK earlier this year.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ts/pet-owners/
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Our dog had his rabies shot for the first time last year. He had one in July and a second in August and we were told the booster shots are one every 12 months. He had his distemper etc booster this June and I told our vet he couldn't do the rabies at the same time as, last year, after both of the rabies shots he was sick within half-an-hour of having them. So he is going to do the rabies booster in August. Last year I did return to the vet after the second shot and asked if it could have made him sick and was told no. But the new vet this year said it was possibly a reaction to the shot so we shall wait and see. We live nearly an hour's drive from the vet so just have to make sure he is not on my lap this time - the first time he was and the second time we got him out of the car just in time.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Are you referring to Spain.
According to this it was still necessary in the UK earlier this year.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ts/pet-owners/
I do not know about UK but that is not my home country. That is why I said I do not need a blood test on her. But that is not really my issue right now I just want to know if my vet has done the right thing on my puppy or not.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us
Our dog had his rabies shot for the first time last year. He had one in July and a second in August and we were told the booster shots are one every 12 months. He had his distemper etc booster this June and I told our vet he couldn't do the rabies at the same time as, last year, after both of the rabies shots he was sick within half-an-hour of having them. So he is going to do the rabies booster in August. Last year I did return to the vet after the second shot and asked if it could have made him sick and was told no. But the new vet this year said it was possibly a reaction to the shot so we shall wait and see. We live nearly an hour's drive from the vet so just have to make sure he is not on my lap this time - the first time he was and the second time we got him out of the car just in time.
Oh your poor puppy. Luckily my girl was not sick from any of them, just slept all day and kept to herself.

I think it is VERY strange that they need 2 doses. At first, when I agreed to get the second one, I thought it was half a dose per jab since they are so small and young. Right after the vet told me that she would have been fine to travel anywhere in the EU with just the first jab, which proves that it was a full dose both times. She could not have traveled with just half a rabies.....

I have read that Rabies should not be given in a cocktail with other vaccines because there is no study on any long term effects of this so I have told my vet about this and he respected that.

I am a bit angry right now, as Rabies is a very dangerous jab. WHY they need to give my girl 2 of them here is to me a mystery. I wish i had got her while still living in my home country, and she would have been given only 1 there
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofia11
Oh your poor puppy. Luckily my girl was not sick from any of them, just slept all day and kept to herself.

I think it is VERY strange that they need 2 doses. At first, when I agreed to get the second one, I thought it was half a dose per jab since they are so small and young. Right after the vet told me that she would have been fine to travel anywhere in the EU with just the first jab, which proves that it was a full dose both times. She could not have traveled with just half a rabies.....

I have read that Rabies should not be given in a cocktail with other vaccines because there is no study on any long term effects of this so I have told my vet about this and he respected that.

I am a bit angry right now, as Rabies is a very dangerous jab. WHY they need to give my girl 2 of them here is to me a mystery. I wish i had got her while still living in my home country, and she would have been given only 1 there
If the first one had failed to produce the necessary antibodies then a second one could have also have been needed in the UK, though normally the first does the job.

I don't know about Spain, but if as the OP suggests blood testing is no longer required, then I wonder if the second jab is simply as a back-up guarantee to cover the few cases where the first one has failed ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.