1934 J Class

Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1934 J Class

http://www.charterworld.com/index.ht...-endeavour-417

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endeavour_%28yacht%29
Attached Thumbnails 1934 J Class-p8279195a.jpg   1934 J Class-p8279183a.jpg  

Last edited by Fredbargate; Aug 27th 2013 at 8:56 am.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 9:25 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1934 J Class

Stunner!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:48 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Very nice, a proper yacht.

Suzi
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely yachts. It's wonderful that some very rich people are prepared to spend huge sums restoring these yachts rather than just buying a new one built for them.

I was lucky enough to sail Velsheda - a sister ship to Endeavour. Being behind the wheel of a monster like that was an experience I will never forget.

http://www.jclassyachts.com/yacht/713
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

It's very difficult to appreciate the size of these boats from photographs

I just glanced out of the window and saw this " Bloody Great Mast " and decided to investigate further
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

makes us remember the word grace which isn't used much these days

can understand why (Sir) Tommy Lipton spent his tea profits on such things

another era gone - for ever ??
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
another era gone - for ever ??
Bearing in mind that Lipton's ambition was to win the America's cup, these sorts of extreme boats are still alive and well and being funded by today's billionaires.

The America's Cup starts in a week or two and the yachts are the most extreme ever.

If you don't already follow it, try this for a taster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opr85Mu4-Ig
Old Aug 28th 2013, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James
Bearing in mind that Lipton's ambition was to win the America's cup, these sorts of extreme boats are still alive and well and being funded by today's billionaires.

The America's Cup starts in a week or two and the yachts are the most extreme ever.

Sir Thomas would have choked on his tea
Old Aug 28th 2013, 4:30 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes Fred, I do watch it whenever possible, helped to build a small sailing boat when I was 11, took her to the Broads and gave her the first taste of water.

but the modern America's cup vessels are totally different to the old 30's vessels.
I am sure you can understand when I say that rubbing your hand over the hull, the deck, the fittings, it is a pleasure to just feel the craftsmanship that went into them, the love and care.........

and as the other Fred says, Tommy would have choked on his tea alright, there is something sterile, not "living" that makes them "not quite right".
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:05 pm

Yes, you are quite right about the touch and feel but that is only attractive now to us as a piece of heritage.

Lipton would have looked at them in a different light - they were the high tech machines of their time and that's what he wanted.

Still, you must agree that the new AC72 catamarans are a pretty exciting development.

Incidentally all of the AC races will be available on YouTube.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:59 pm

Yes, you are quite right about the touch and feel but that is only attractive now to us as a piece of heritage.

Lipton would have looked at them in a different light - they were the high tech machines of their time and that's what he wanted.

Still, you must agree that the new AC72 catamarans are a pretty exciting development.

Incidentally all of the AC races will be available on YouTube.
sort of agree Fred, but why do I get the same feelings about old churches, anything that is well over 1500 years old
men put their soul, their expertise into the work they did, they didn't know that the cathedral/church would still be standing today, a monument to them and their skills.

we generally look askance at the "old days" of a couple of thousand years or more, but the pure delight in seeing such work by people we have been brought up to believe are the next step up from savages. The accuracy, the methods they used to smelt gold, silver, copper etc etc and turn them into totally breathtaking pieces of history that eclipse many of the things we call "art" today.

however, getting back to AC - this may prove of interest, although I am sure the Spanish would be rather unhappy at the antics as there must be a tax in it they are missing out on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2PQfJ2SAg4
Old Aug 28th 2013, 7:59 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the Americas Cup in it's original format ended in Valencia 6 years ago, followed by never ending childish squabbles, law suits, court cases and all the rest of that typically American nonsense.

How it came to be resurrected in its present futuristic style I haven't the faintest clue, as I lost interest during the years of petty squabbles.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Domino
however, getting back to AC - this may prove of interest, although I am sure the Spanish would be rather unhappy at the antics as there must be a tax in it they are missing out on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2PQfJ2SAg4
Well that's just a little boat and nothing to do with the AC - they don't have keels to walk on!

Great video though.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I believe the Americas Cup in it's original format ended in Valencia 6 years ago, followed by never ending childish squabbles, law suits, court cases and all the rest of that typically American nonsense.

How it came to be resurrected in its present futuristic style I haven't the faintest clue, as I lost interest during the years of petty squabbles.
I can't agree with you there.

The original format has changed nearly a dozen times since the original challenge in 1851.

The current format will change again but that is all part of the America's Cup.

Maybe one day they will get back to wooden boats with cotton sails.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 28th 2013 at 8:16 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:04 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Wouldn't it be interesting if one year, all electrics / Electronics where banned.
And the boys & girls had to sail by the seat of their pants at the mercy of the 'unknown' weather.

Fred, have you been to Cannes ? There are some beauties hiding out there.

Suzi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.