Reload this Page >

183 day rule for tax

183 day rule for tax

Old May 20th 2018, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Kevo11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 183 day rule for tax

Hello.

If I move to Spain on 24th July this will total 161 days in this tax year. Will my 183 days then start from 1st January or will I be tax resident from 22nd January ie my 183rd day?

I will be single and not working.

Thanks.
Old May 20th 2018, 12:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 183 day rule for tax

The clock starts ticking again from the 1st January as you only qualify if you spend more than 183 (not necessarily consecutive) days in one calendar year.
Old May 20th 2018, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
The clock starts ticking again from the 1st January as you only qualify if you spend more than 183 (not necessarily consecutive) days in one calendar year.
Thanks, thar's what I thought. So I could use pension income drawdown between 6th April and 1st July which would be subject to more favourable UK tax?
Old May 20th 2018, 4:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Which year are you talking about? You can do that in 2018 but, even though you only hit the 183 days on July 1st 2019, you will be deemed tax resident for the whole of 2019.
Old May 20th 2018, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Which year are you talking about? You can do that in 2018 but, even though you only hit the 183 days on July 1st 2019, you will be deemed tax resident for the whole of 2019.
Got you now I think. Even though 6 April 2019 to 1 July 2019 is before my 183 days, the fact that I'd be there for that period and the rest of 2019, makes me subject to Spanish tax for all of 2019?

When do I declare myself a resident for tax purposes then? From the day I arrive or after 183 days?

Thanks and sorry for the questions but tax is a messy game!!
Old May 20th 2018, 5:54 pm

You don't need to declare yourself tax resident as such. Just make a tax declaration before the end of June 2020 for income for 2019 and you are in the system. Tax is paid well in arrears in Spain.

All you need to do when you arrive (or within 90days) is to sign on the local town hall register (Padron) and sign on at the national police to register as a EU foreign resident. For this you will need proof of income and health cover.
Old May 20th 2018, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

You don't need to declare yourself tax resident as such. Just make a tax declaration before the end of June 2020 for income for 2019 and you are in the system. Tax is paid well in arrears in Spain.

All you need to do when you arrive (or within 90days) is to sign on the local town hall register (Padron) and sign on at the national police to register as a EU foreign resident. For this you will need proof of income and health cover.
Ok Fred. Thanks for your help, appreciated
Old May 26th 2018, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

aidan1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to hijack this thread but had a similar sort of question and saves clogging the board. I'd like to flip between uk and spain, so say i buy a house, pay all the right things with that but keep under the 183 limited im just classed as a holiday maker basically an left alone? nothing to hide just can't be bothered complicating things paying tax in 2 places etc
Old May 26th 2018, 8:46 pm

If you don’t meet the 183 day rule you have nothing to worry about as you will not be tax resident. I thought that had already been made abundantly clear already or did you miss that?
Old May 26th 2018, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

aidan1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that had already been made abundantly clear already or did you miss that?
no need for the attitude is there, won't bother posting again. goodbye
Old May 28th 2018, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Aidan, don't worry about Fred, he's known to be a tad rude and curt in some posts.
Old May 28th 2018, 4:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Aidan, don't worry about Fred, he's known to be a tad rude and curt in some posts.
If Aidan had read the previous posts then he would have realised that he was just asking for the information that had been provided earlier to be duplicated, I don't think Fred's post was rude,perhaps a little curt but the question gets asked so often and Fred aanswers in every thread, so it's not surprising he gets a little annoyed at repeating himself when i search of posts would find the answers.
Old May 28th 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Probably, as moderator of this forum, I have to read every single post. I get fed up with people who cannot even be bothered to read a thread from the start before posting the same question that has already been answered in detail.

I am not about to change my approach or style of reply.

No more on this subject please - Site Rule #15

Thread now closed.

Last edited by Fred James; May 28th 2018 at 4:31 pm.