Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

15 year limit for ex-pats.

15 year limit for ex-pats.

Old May 3rd 2021, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 15 year limit for ex-pats.

Of course you can change your mind,look how we get different results often from one election to another.And when you disenfranchise thousands of your Nationals from voting as was done for the referendum,that should be called"British style democracy"
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
"I am in favour of the Scots being allowed to hold an independence referendum"

They already did and the vote was 'no thank you'.
But that was before Scotland had a major change of status (vis a Vis) Europe following the "other" referendum nearly 2 years later.I think a substantial change in Ts & C's warrants a rethink!
Old May 3rd 2021, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
when you disenfranchise thousands of your Nationals from voting as was done for the referendum,that should be called"British style democracy"
These so called nationals disenfranchised themselves by their own actions

I also pay tax in the UK where I have no vote due to my own actions

Live with it or go back, your choice
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:15 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If we reduce citizenship to something meaningless and purely transactional where any expression of that citizenship like rights to voting and representation depends on where you are normally resident and pay taxes, way not just give citizenship to everyone who becomes resident in the UK and take it off everyone who goes abroad to live?

(I hope Priti Patel isn't reading.)

Citizenship is obviously more than that, and the argument that if you left then you can't have any say is usually used by those still there who don't like to hear what is being said.

Last edited by DLC; May 3rd 2021 at 5:20 pm.
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
The point is we have the right of voting for 15 years which we knew when we moved out of the uk. The post is about increasing it to life long right to vote. Your opinion is that shouldn't be allowed, fine that's your opinion but others are entitled to hold a different opinion. Not a case of live with it or go back?

Old May 3rd 2021, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

There wasnĀ“t a 15 year limit for right to vote when we emigrated.In fact I used a proxy vote & was always in touch with that person .And Fred,sometimes people return to UK ,as I did,because of personal circumstances that made it the only choice.
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The history of rights to vote for those living overseas has changed a few times. It went from not being allowed a vote to being allowed for 5 years this then was increased to 20 years and then was reduced to 15 years. David Cameron proposed changing it to lifelong right to vote in 2015. One thing one must remember though is you do have to have been registered to vote in the UK. When you register as overseas voter you must inform them of where you were last registered.
ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹
Old May 4th 2021, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
There wasnĀ“t a 15 year limit for right to vote when we emigrated.In fact I used a proxy vote & was always in touch with that person .And Fred,sometimes people return to UK ,as I did,because of personal circumstances that made it the only choice.
Then at that point your right to vote should and I believe is reinstated
Old May 4th 2021, 6:19 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
These so called nationals disenfranchised themselves by their own actions

I also pay tax in the UK where I have no vote due to my own actions

If the franchise were to be extended for life to UK nationals resident outside the UK, would you put yourself on the register, Fred?
Old May 4th 2021, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

To reply to Fred,yes I now have my voting paper to be used this thursday.However I was not allowed to vote in the Brexit referendum which for all of us had a greater impact on our lives than people in the UK.Being back,I can see that even more clearly than I did whilst in Spain.A lot of talk about"taking back control"etc but no actual shift in day to day lifestyle apart from the number of advertisements for staff.Today I saw a billboard at the side of a retail park advertising vacancies for nurses & care home staff,another for tradesmen.The EU citizens in UK for a while have been concerned about their status after Brexit Many have returned to THEIR home countries. .My own granddaughter is Spanish & works for a Govn.dept on the south coast.I am concerned for her future & would have liked to have had a chance to register my opposition on exit from the EU.On one of my original residencia documents from many years ago, I think it said that I had the full protection of the EU.I donĀ“t think that will be on the new TIE.
Old May 5th 2021, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric
If the franchise were to be extended for life to UK nationals resident outside the UK, would you put yourself on the register, Fred?
No

I chose to leave, my choice. Voting should be limited to those who reside in a country not to aunts, uncles, mothers and fathers etc. who have left.
My family who I left behind have that right.
Some want their cake and eat it

I have been in London for the past three months and no one has mentioned brexit in either a positive or negative way.

However the effects of covid are very evident.

Old May 5th 2021, 6:44 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's a cake the Conservative Party seems very keen to bake, though. I'd say this one really is going to be oven-ready very shortly. Plus it was in their manifesto - I know you're quite keen sometimes on what political parties say in their manifestos, aren't you?

One can only assume that they see some political advantage, having done some research and found that the majority of those who live overseas and would be inclined to vote would be dyed-in-the-wool Tories and they could do with their support.

Last edited by Red Eric; May 5th 2021 at 6:47 am.
Old May 5th 2021, 11:37 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

After Brexit and pensions uplift nonsense? Do they have Stockholm Syndrome or something?
Old May 5th 2021, 1:08 pm
Polished expat

I'm sure there are plenty of UK expats - including some living in EU countries - who are absolutely delighted with Brexit. No shortage of evidence of that on here.
Old May 5th 2021, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perhaps a number of those posting in agreement of the 15 year limit,are holiday owners?