Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

14 day quarantine on return from Spain

14 day quarantine on return from Spain

Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:50 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 14 day quarantine on return from Spain

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I have just completed a trip from southern Spain to Scotland and back by car BUT I used the Channel Tunnel as I felt it was a great deal safer

Davexf
I wanted to do that too and it is a lot cheaper. The boss wanted to take the ferry.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by missile
The boss wanted to take the ferry.
OK. So get prepared. Full sou'westers and rubber wellies. Touch nothin', not even the bum to a loo seat, and take a picnic & flask . Sorted !
Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:54 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
OK. So get prepared. Full sou'westers and rubber wellies. Touch nothin', not even the bum to a loo seat, and take a picnic & flask . Sorted !
Sounds like a great plan Thankyou :-)
Old Jul 29th 2020, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Interesting. How would you or anyone else for that matter do that then? By that I mean to ensure you are not and do not become infected and also, more importantly, to not pass it unwittingly onto others. What means and tests would you apply? How would you show that you had taken all precautions and were infection free?

Genuine questions.
In my view no one can be certain as I said earlier every time you leave your home you are at risk to some degree. You can minimise the risk by hygiene distancing masks etc but it's there. You have to make your own assessment as to whether you wish to expose yourself to that risk. Or you can simply stay inside your home but my guess is at some point you will have to leave it shopping doctor etc. As for protecting others yes important but surely by being careful yourself you do that to the best of your ability . I doubt there are many that would intentionally wish to pass on the virus but no doubt there will be some who would . The way viruses spread means there is always risk it's for individuals to decide what level of risk they are willing to take as you say part of that process is to do your best to ensure you don't put others at risk.

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 29th 2020 at 9:35 am.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

A & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Thanks. I am travelling Brittany Ferries Plymouth / Santander. Anyone done that route recently? One of my concerns is the usual stampede with crowds of people rushing to get off. I might be last onto the car deck<LOL>
We've just done the route ourselves (in reverse, Santander to Portsmouth), on the Pont Aven. Brittany Ferries have worked very hard to minimise the level of contact you have with other people while on board. You are encouraged to stay in your cabin as much as possible, and the vast majority of people do that. In between meals, there was hardly anybody at all in the public areas. You get a colour coded sticker on your cabin keycard, which governs which of the four sittings for dinner (from the self-service restaurant only). It also governs when you can go down to the car decks at the end of the journey. Every other table in the eating areas is taken out of commission so as to preserve social distancing. Mask wearing in the public areas is compulsory. Social distancing is more or less well observed; on one occasion, people did press up close behind us in the queue at the self-service restaurant, but a glare should be enough to cure this! Mask wearing was pretty good - about 90% - but you can usually spot an NMM ("no-mask moron") coming and avoid them. All in all, we felt as safe as was reasonable for us to expect - we felt no more at risk than when out and about in Portugal or Spain.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 9:51 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by A & M
We've just done the route ourselves (in reverse, Santander to Portsmouth), on the Pont Aven. ...
That is very reassuring - Many Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2020, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are wealthy enough and there are some then this is probably the safest but extreme way to deal with covid. Even so not 100% safe but as near as you can get so long as all preperation was done before the virus arrived.
https://theconversation.com/living-w...navirus-136635
Old Jul 29th 2020, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I will not be involved but I find it crazy to quarantine those arriving from Spain back to Britain & yet,in UK shop keepers are at the mercy of any moron who decides it is his choice about wearing a mask.The Police have already said they do not have the resources to enforce mask wearing.Bonkers Boris is piously preaching that it is for the good of the country & now appears to be set to include many more countries in Europe.I think it has more to do with trying to keep the cash flow in the UK.But he may be shooting himself in the foot yet again as he expects employers to pick up the bill for their workforce.As a previous business owner I can predict that many are going to lose their jobs.If business owners can't supply the full service,they will go to the wall.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 11:05 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
In my view no one can be certain as I said earlier every time you leave your home you are at risk to some degree. You can minimise the risk by hygiene distancing masks etc but it's there. You have to make your own assessment as to whether you wish to expose yourself to that risk. Or you can simply stay inside your home but my guess is at some point you will have to leave it shopping doctor etc. As for protecting others yes important but surely by being careful yourself you do that to the best of your ability . I doubt there are many that would intentionally wish to pass on the virus but no doubt there will be some who would . The way viruses spread means there is always risk it's for individuals to decide what level of risk they are willing to take as you say part of that process is to do your best to ensure you don't put others at risk.
Hola,

We decided to buy a cool-box / fridge that you plug-in and it keeps cool as you drive along. We put frozen bottles of water in it as we started our four day journey to Scotland and on the fourth day they still had ice in them! We also did a very good shop which meant we needed virtually nothing when we made stops as we could eat from the cool box.

If you plan ahead, you can reduce the risk so that the journey is acceptable to you. There will always be unplanned events but with masks and sanitiser then you can stay reasonably safe

Davexf
Old Jul 29th 2020, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola,

We decided to buy a cool-box / fridge that you plug-in and it keeps cool as you drive along. We put frozen bottles of water in it as we started our four day journey to Scotland and on the fourth day they still had ice in them! We also did a very good shop which meant we needed virtually nothing when we made stops as we could eat from the cool box.

If you plan ahead, you can reduce the risk so that the journey is acceptable to you. There will always be unplanned events but with masks and sanitiser then you can stay reasonably safe

Davexf
Yes that is the sensible sort of planning etc that one can make. Your final comment also is simple sound advice. All I will add and was trying to say is only the individual can ascertain what risk they see as acceptable and as you did carry out sensible planning to reduce the risks. I'm sure many will follow your good method for long car journeys.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A & M
We've just done the route ourselves (in reverse, Santander to Portsmouth), on the Pont Aven. Brittany Ferries have worked very hard to minimise the level of contact you have with other people while on board. You are encouraged to stay in your cabin as much as possible, and the vast majority of people do that. In between meals, there was hardly anybody at all in the public areas. You get a colour coded sticker on your cabin keycard, which governs which of the four sittings for dinner (from the self-service restaurant only). It also governs when you can go down to the car decks at the end of the journey. Every other table in the eating areas is taken out of commission so as to preserve social distancing. Mask wearing in the public areas is compulsory. Social distancing is more or less well observed; on one occasion, people did press up close behind us in the queue at the self-service restaurant, but a glare should be enough to cure this! Mask wearing was pretty good - about 90% - but you can usually spot an NMM ("no-mask moron") coming and avoid them. All in all, we felt as safe as was reasonable for us to expect - we felt no more at risk than when out and about in Portugal or Spain.
Thats good to know. We are doing the Portsmouth to Bilbao in mid august with a one way van rent. My wife has been panicking a little and Ive just read this out to her (I'm not that bothered even if I have to wear a complete hazmat suit (and I have before)).
Im going to post a thread about our move for info to other users once we start our journey.

Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Owls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barriej
Thats good to know. We are doing the Portsmouth to Bilbao in mid august with a one way van rent. My wife has been panicking a little and Ive just read this out to her (I'm not that bothered even if I have to wear a complete hazmat suit (and I have before)).
Im going to post a thread about our move for info to other users once we start our journey.

Hi BarrieJ, may I ask which one way rental company you're using, we're looking at coming towards the end of September and looking now., Many thanks