Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

14 day quarantine on return from Spain

14 day quarantine on return from Spain

Old Jul 27th 2020, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 14 day quarantine on return from Spain

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
To the best of my knowledge at the moment you could fly to Gibraltar, walk across the frontier and catch a bus to Torremolinos for your holiday then return to Gibraltar for your flight home with no quarantine, who is to know?
On the Beeb this morning New York was mentioned in conjuction with Florida as an example of highlighting hotspots, so similar to above fly to Miami take an internal flight to New York or even hire a car etc.
Not sure I understand that. Miami is a hotspot in FL.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 9:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Originally Posted by Fredbargate
.... On the Beeb this morning New York was mentioned in conjuction with Florida as an example of highlighting hotspots, so similar to above fly to Miami take an internal flight to New York or even hire a car etc.
Not sure I understand that. Miami is a hotspot in FL.
Not only! New York has mandated quarantine for those arriving from Florida, and several other hotspot states i.e. for internal travelers within the US.
​​​

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 27th 2020 at 9:40 am.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thegolfer
The whole quarantine thing is an absolute con and simply Boris and Rishi trying to make U.K citizens holiday and spend its money in U.K. But LozzR still back n fore to France with lardboi but borders not closed yet.
Rubbish, IMO. You seem to forget, they also wanted to get planes in the air.

Last edited by audio; Jul 27th 2020 at 9:53 am.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 7:19 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Rubbish, IMO. You seem to forget, they also wanted to get planes in the air.
Who did? Certainly not Rishi and Boris....."You seem to forget" that BA, Easyjet and Ryanair joined forces to sue the U.K Gov six or seven weeks ago

"The government's plan "will have a devastating effect on British tourism and the wider economy and destroy thousands of jobs", the airlines said yesterday. They have asked for judges to hear the review as soon as possible."

​​​​​​
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...arantine-rules
Old Jul 28th 2020, 5:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
Yes, travel is a risk. It always has been, but it's not stopped people doing it.
​​
Absolutely. However making a judgement call on risk to self is different from making a call which could cause risk to others. Perhaps the word blithely would be better referenced to those governments , agencies and people which put self interest before and over others. Ever increasing travel has been taken for granted for a long time now and it really isn't that simple any more. Travel unfortunately now comes with an invisible ticking time bomb that could cause harm to others and ourselves. We travel at vast speed on an empty road that is our risk to solely our own selves. We travel at speed on a crowded busy road then we risk other people's lives which is not OK..

The 14 day quarantine is because of the incubation period. Quarantine should be independently managed to ensure any risk is contained as not all people are sensible or honourable. Some are mighty carefree with other people's health.. However I would agree somewhat that in UK's and Europes case it is a farce as these places haven't even managed to contain - & for the most part even locate - community transmission, so putting someone into 2 weeks of managed quarantine and then sending them out where the virus is still unchecked really is a nonsense. Mind you the UK approach has been weak and muddled to say the least. Arse and elbow comes to mind.

Y'know , I was hoping to get back to the UK this September for a long visit. The first time it would have been really properly possible in ten blimmin' years. It was also to look at going home - permanently. Now that is all off the cards for at least the next 18 months / two years as it simply will not be sensible or safe to do so. I have people there I love and care for. Some I may well now not see again. It is what it is. Didn't ask for this silent killer virus but it is with us all and we just have to take it on the nose for everyone's sake and get on with it and do the hard yards. Some have it far far worse.

Open borders at haste and repent at leisure .

Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Perhaps the word blithely would be better referenced to those governments , agencies and people which put self interest before and over others. Ever increasing travel has been taken for granted for a long time now and it really isn't that simple any more. Travel unfortunately now comes with an invisible ticking time bomb that could cause harm to others and ourselves. We travel at vast speed on an empty road that is our risk to solely our own selves. We travel at speed on a crowded busy road then we risk other people's lives which is not OK..

The 14 day quarantine is because of the incubation period. Quarantine should be independently managed to ensure any risk is contained as not all people are sensible or honourable. Some are mighty carefree with other people's health.. However I would agree somewhat that in UK's and Europes case it is a farce as these places haven't even managed to contain - & for the most part even locate - community transmission, so putting someone into 2 weeks of managed quarantine and then sending them out where the virus is still unchecked really is a nonsense. Mind you the UK approach has been weak and muddled to say the least. Arse and elbow comes to mind.

Y'know , I was hoping to get back to the UK this September for a long visit. The first time it would have been really properly possible in ten blimmin' years. It was also to look at going home - permanently. Now that is all off the cards for at least the next 18 months / two years as it simply will not be sensible or safe to do so. I have people there I love and care for. Some I may well now not see again. It is what it is. Didn't ask for this silent killer virus but it is with us all and we just have to take it on the nose for everyone's sake and get on with it and do the hard yards. Some have it far far worse.

Open borders at haste and repent at leisure .
I used the word "blithely" deliberately and referenced HMG to it for the reasons you too mention.
Arse and elbow, buggers muddle, you take your choice.

Not only do we all make our own choices for travel, we all have our own reasons for having, or wanting, to.
I am sorry for the circumstances in which you find yourself.
Many years ago I made a similar choice which was responsible for me not being able to say my farewells to my father.
My circumstances now are such that I have to return to the UK once per year, this has to take place in August, no choice. Last year I was "fortunate" in that, whilst there, my mother was suddenly taken ill and subsequently passed away in hospital several days later. At least I was there.

I don't want to travel, I don't really enjoy it, but once per year it is a necessity. In the case of the house arrest this year it won't make too much difference, but I do have to be there. It's a necessary inconvenience.

​​​​
Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
.... I was hoping to get back to the UK this September for a long visit. The first time it would have been really properly possible in ten blimmin' years. It was also to look at going home - permanently. Now that is all off the cards for at least the next 18 months / two years as it simply will not be sensible or safe to do so. I have people there I love and care for. Some I may well now not see again..
Standing in a queue and sharing air in a coffin in the sky is not for us either. We have decided to drive and take the ferry, IMHO that is a safer option.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically I dont think there have been any outbreaks through plane travel since the lockdown. Sure there were people bringing the virus in through travel before all the measures were in place but since then there has been lots of panicking about planes and various people tested but no outbreaks between travelling passengers and I imagine because people are being super careful on planes.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:35 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

From my observation of news footage, people don't seem very careful at airports. Even before Covid, I often found I would seem to have a cold / flu symptoms shortly after sharing recirculated air during a flight.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
From my observation of news footage, people don't seem very careful at airports. Even before Covid, I often found I would seem to have a cold / flu symptoms shortly after sharing recirculated air during a flight.
As always some are careful some aren't, all means of travel with others are a risk as it is every time one leaves the safety of the bubble they have created in their own homes. One could fly and then say get the train or bus into the nearest town, they could as easily get infected on the train or bus as easily as the plane. Its down to each individual to ascertain and decide on the risk factors to suit them and their needs. That is so long as it fits with the laid down rules/laws/guidance whether we agree with that guidance is neither here nor there. The idiots are those that simply do exactly as they want ignoring any guidance unfortunately it seems the British Government has some of them in senior positions or within the families of senior ministers and advisors. Even missing familiy bereavements at this time is different for some people to others for some it could well cause lifelong problems with siblings or other family members others will be in the position of having family that understand the difficult position people may find themselves in. This is and will continue to be a very difficult and uncertain time for all of us wishing to do what's best and safest for all, because only other real alternative until they get a vaccine is endless total lock down as we had March to June..
Old Jul 28th 2020, 3:12 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by bobd22
As always some are careful some aren't, all means of travel with others are a risk ..
As you correctly say we must each assess the risk and act accordingly.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:06 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Ain't that a fact, everyone I know have said the same over the years so flying at this time is the last thing that I would be wanting to do let alone hanging around an airport for hours before that.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bobd22
Its down to each individual to ascertain and decide on the risk factors to suit them and their needs. .
Interesting. How would you or anyone else for that matter do that then? By that I mean to ensure you are not and do not become infected and also, more importantly, to not pass it unwittingly onto others. What means and tests would you apply? How would you show that you had taken all precautions and were infection free?

Genuine questions.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:37 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Standing in a queue and sharing air in a coffin in the sky is not for us either. We have decided to drive and take the ferry, IMHO that is a safer option.
Hola

I have just completed a trip from southern Spain to Scotland and back by car BUT I used the Channel Tunnel as I felt it was a great deal safer

Davexf
Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:48 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by VFR
Ain't that a fact, everyone I know have said the same over the years so flying at this time is the last thing that I would be wanting to do let alone hanging around an airport for hours before that.
Thanks. I am travelling Brittany Ferries Plymouth / Santander. Anyone done that route recently? One of my concerns is the usual stampede with crowds of people rushing to get off. I might be last onto the car deck<LOL>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.