Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

12 Weeks To Go!!!!!!!

12 Weeks To Go!!!!!!!

Old Nov 4th 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: 12 Weeks To Go!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi,
Sounds like you have really nice family and friends, i dont think mine will be so nice when they do come out and stay.

However i will tell them that they can come and stay but we still have to work and they will have to be left to there own.
We have friends who have insisted on paying the going rates for B&B....and they are also looking at long term rental of our little cassita......nice little earner They understand that we are not going to be on holiday......families don't.

Latest news on our move.....there is a problem on the buyers side and completion has been postponed until Friday......WE LEAVE ON THE FERRY ON MONDAY
I just want this whole thing done and dusted and to know that our money is in the bank.....I AM WELL AND TRULY STRESSED NOW. I JUST HAVE TO KEEP THINKING THAT THIS TIME NEXT WEEK IT WILL ALL BE WORTH THE HASSLES.........
Mary
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:26 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maryg
We have friends who have insisted on paying the going rates for B&B....and they are also looking at long term rental of our little cassita......nice little earner They understand that we are not going to be on holiday......families don't.

Latest news on our move.....there is a problem on the buyers side and completion has been postponed until Friday......WE LEAVE ON THE FERRY ON MONDAY
I just want this whole thing done and dusted and to know that our money is in the bank.....I AM WELL AND TRULY STRESSED NOW. I JUST HAVE TO KEEP THINKING THAT THIS TIME NEXT WEEK IT WILL ALL BE WORTH THE HASSLES.........
Mary
Poor you
Dont worry,Im sure it will all come together,fingers crossed for you
Have a couple of weekend vinos!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maryg

Mary
HI,
Well good luck and keep us all posted on what happens? and how you are setterling in
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:59 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnxa
know the feeling...I gave my tumble dryer to my parents & bought one the first week we lived in Spain! No-one told me it rains almost constantly throughout November, and there's no other way to dry clothes!

It's our 3rd anniversary this week - yes it's raining - and yes the tumble dryer is in use as I type!
It is surprising how cold Spain can be from now until the spring, I've heard of many older people coming here for thewinter and being surprised at how they can't wear shorts and t-shirts - many end up going to hotter places such as Florida instead.

Mark
Old Nov 4th 2006, 2:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
It is surprising how cold Spain can be from now until the spring, I've heard of many older people coming here for thewinter and being surprised at how they can't wear shorts and t-shirts - many end up going to hotter places such as Florida instead.

Mark
But you can't compare the winter temps here with those in the UK, I mean they have already had frosts. We still see the tourists going round in T shirts and shorts in January, to them its warm, but to us living here its cold, depends on what you are used to.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 7:10 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
But you can't compare the winter temps here with those in the UK, I mean they have already had frosts. We still see the tourists going round in T shirts and shorts in January, to them its warm, but to us living here its cold, depends on what you are used to.

yep...you can always spot the tourists!!! or the recently immigrated.....by their second winter they'll be in jumpers, hats & gloves like the rest of us!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yep...you can always spot the tourists!!! or the recently immigrated.....by their second winter they'll be in jumpers, hats & gloves like the rest of us!
Hi,
Can i expect to wear t-shirts in jan then say yes please, and then by winter i manage to adjust and be cold
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi,
Can i expect to wear t-shirts in jan then say yes please, and then by winter i manage to adjust and be cold

maybe..........it's usually warm for a couple of hours a day at least......when it's not raining

Christmas day we can normally be found early afternoon outside a seafront tapas bar having drinks with friends..........yes in t shirts ..........while the kids play on the beach, albeit often in wellies!

Nights are cold though, and early mornings on the way to school we definately need gloves
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I2 weeks? Luxury!

I've just completed on my house sale in UK at the end of October and it was 5 weeks from accepting the offer to completion and ini that time we had to get rid of stuff we didn't want, sell our car, organise the removal of thinigs we did want to take to Spain, notify all the usual agencies, get the post redirected, etc, etc! Luckily the buyer took all the furniture and white goods with the house which was one job less as our house in Spain is already furnished and equipped (we've had it over 3 years) so we didn't want to take anything like that. We thought we didn't have much to take but it actually mounted up to 62 boxes in all!

Slight panic when the Spanish removal company, who were supposed to collect our stuff on the Monday morning, phoned at 9.30 am the day before and said we've got here early, can we pick it up today? We said give us 3 hours and frantically finished packing the last couple of boxes and made an itemised list. Actually it worked out better in the end as with everything gone it was much easier for me to clean the house and we didn't have to be worrying on completion day about getting everything out on time. All was delivered to our Spanish house the following Thursday (could have been there on Wednesday but it was a bank holiday so I couldn't get the cash out to pay them!). Nothing lost and nothing broken, so I was pleased about that.

Now I am back in the UK for 3 weeks to finish my notice period at work, living at my Dad's house whilst my OH takes care of things in Spain. I've left him a nice long list of jobs to keep him out of mischief. Roll on 28 November when I fly back for good!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I2 weeks? Luxury!

I've just completed on my house sale in UK at the end of October and it was 5 weeks from accepting the offer to completion and ini that time we had to get rid of stuff we didn't want, sell our car, organise the removal of thinigs we did want to take to Spain, notify all the usual agencies, get the post redirected, etc, etc! Luckily the buyer took all the furniture and white goods with the house which was one job less as our house in Spain is already furnished and equipped (we've had it over 3 years) so we didn't want to take anything like that. We thought we didn't have much to take but it actually mounted up to 62 boxes in all!

Slight panic when the Spanish removal company, who were supposed to collect our stuff on the Monday morning, phoned at 9.30 am the day before and said we've got here early, can we pick it up today? We said give us 3 hours and frantically finished packing the last couple of boxes and made an itemised list. Actually it worked out better in the end as with everything gone it was much easier for me to clean the house and we didn't have to be worrying on completion day about getting everything out on time. All was delivered to our Spanish house the following Thursday (could have been there on Wednesday but it was a bank holiday so I couldn't get the cash out to pay them!). Nothing lost and nothing broken, so I was pleased about that.

Now I am back in the UK for 3 weeks to finish my notice period at work, living at my Dad's house whilst my OH takes care of things in Spain. I've left him a nice long list of jobs to keep him out of mischief. Roll on 28 November when I fly back for good!
Hi,
Good luck for the 28th hope things go well for you.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 12:06 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Slight panic when the Spanish removal company, who were supposed to collect our stuff on the Monday morning, phoned at 9.30 am the day before and said we've got here early, can we pick it up today?
A spanish company turned up one day early AND on a Sunday?? Are you sure they were really spanish?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Well they are definitely based in Spain (Fuengirola) but they are English owned. Actually I have found Spanish companies more reliable, if anything, at turning up when they say they will and sticking to delivery dates, than English ones are. Example - 1.00 pm last Thursday, bought a TV from an electrical shop in Velez. Was asked whether I preferred a morning or afternoon delivery slot the next day (none of this, we can't give you a time and so having to hang around for a whole day). It duly turned up at 10.30 am the next day. It has been the same every time we have ordered furniture or white goods for the house.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I2 weeks? Luxury!

Just hope you have better luck with post redirection, we paid for 3 months, but they got the address wrong at first, and, even though I reported this while still in the UK, and got them to change it, it was almost 6 weeks before we got our first mail, and then we got a huge load that had been originally sent to their WRONG Spanish address, returned to the UK and then sent out again. I suspect we never did get everything we should have.