British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/10-things-you-missing-out-if-you-dont-live-spain-821407/)

agoreira Jan 15th 2014 10:12 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by me me (Post 11079360)
Foodbanks in the UK, and J2 having coffee in the Ritz. Rub it in why dontcha.:rofl::rofl:

.

We had lunch in an ever so 'umble local restaurant yesterday (including some nice coffee!). But the Ritz it certainly wasn't!:rofl:

amideislas Jan 15th 2014 10:23 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by crickeproblem 079326
It seems like, we are all wrong. Myself and my Spanish friends who I met in London must all live in an alternative universe :D

As for there being a "high number of Spanish establishments". There are a few, but they tend to be cr*ppy tapas places and not cafes serving coffee! And it was rare to find a Spaniathem, normally Eastern Europeans, but that may have changed recently

By the way, I agree that coffee in Italy is better than in Spain. Absolutely. But the coffee in the UK, while better than years ago, is still too watery

No, you are entitled to your opinion(s). The problem is that your opinions too oft are not only counter to reality, and consistently seem to be motivated not by tangible arguments, but by your obvious despise for anything not Spanish, but you too oft represent your subjective opinions as >facts<.

And then you'll engage in endless arguments about petty things like which coffee is better, only to prove that the UK, US or anywhere else you despise is crap (which ironically, is in itself just another over-generalised opinion)

Even worse, anyone who disagrees with you is met with a barrage of personal insults arrogantly suggesting nobody could possibly have the wisdom and class you possess, despite always implying you are some sort of beacon of humility and rightiousness.


But look, no problem for me. You are amongst the most entertaining contributors to this forum. Keep up the good work!

cricketman Jan 15th 2014 10:30 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11079411)
And then you'll engage in endless arguments about petty things like which coffee is better, only to prove that the UK, US or anywhere else you despise is crap (which ironically, is in itself just another opinion)

I dont despise anywhere

And Spain definitely isnt the best country in the world, whatever that means. But there are some great things about it. When something is bad about Spain then I do say so, but it aint the coffee ;)

jackytoo Jan 15th 2014 10:34 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 
I mentioned the Ritz because our top income earner C/Man said he didn't care how much he paid....anyway you get 2 cups each, cheaper than Starbucks:lol: Used to get a good cup in Borders bookshop in Kingston, sadly gone with the rise of kindle:( You can get good coffee in New York, perhaps it's the Italian influence. just a dollar too with unlimited refills:thumbup:

jackytoo Jan 15th 2014 10:37 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 
Hey this thread is titled 10 things....is coffee the only thing the aficionados can think of:blink:

amideislas Jan 15th 2014 11:07 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11079423)
I dont despise anywhere

And Spain definitely isnt the best country in the world, whatever that means. But there are some great things about it. When something is bad about Spain then I do say so, but it aint the coffee ;)

Well that's a reversal. My opinion is that good coffee (or wine or anything else) can be had anywhere. Spain included, but not exclusively.

Businesses should be judged on the quality and value they deliver (and aside from monopolies, they are!).

You seem to believe crap is measured by where it comes from. True, the style and price may vary by country, but good (and bad) products can be found in Malaga, Munich, Manchester, or Des Moines, regardless of whether its a chain shop or a lowly sole proprietorship. Success rarely results from selling crap. If crap is successful, then it must be crap that an awful lot of people want, which strongly suggests not everyone believes your crap.

jackytoo Jan 15th 2014 11:11 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 
:goodpost:

agoreira Jan 15th 2014 11:15 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 11079435)
Hey this thread is titled 10 things....is coffee the only thing the aficionados can think of:blink:

It would appear to be high on the list of several here, as I said, I can't see what all the fuss is about. ;) Lots all around the world seem to manage without it, and very happy with the coffee they have.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 15th 2014 11:16 am

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 11079428)
Used to get a good cup in Borders bookshop in Kingston, sadly gone with the rise of kindle:

Seems to have been loads of bookshops gone belly up lately.
More elderly folk moving online, the popularity of the Kindle and the depth of the crisis, especially in Spain certainly haven't helped.
Not a great business to be in at the minute I would have thought, though a cup of coffee and a free tapas or three, might be a good idea to pull the punters in ;)

agoreira Jan 15th 2014 12:06 pm

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11079483)
Not a great business to be in at the minute I would have thought,

:rofl: Nor me. :rofl: Our local bookshop has just closed, couldn't compete with the likes of Amazon and Kindles.

la mancha Jan 15th 2014 12:53 pm

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 
‘It seems like, we are all wrong. Myself and my Spanish friends who I met in London must all live in an alternative universe’

CM. Are you serious about that or was it just a throwaway remark?

Domino Jan 15th 2014 12:58 pm

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11079475)
Well that's a reversal. My opinion is that good coffee (or wine or anything else) can be had anywhere. Spain included, but not exclusively.

Businesses should be judged on the quality and value they deliver (and aside from monopolies, they are!).

You seem to believe crap is measured by where it comes from. True, the style and price may vary by country, but good (and bad) products can be found in Malaga, Munich, Manchester, or Des Moines, regardless of whether its a chain shop or a lowly sole proprietorship. Success rarely results from selling crap. If crap is successful, then it must be crap that an awful lot of people want, which strongly suggests not everyone believes your crap.

well it seems to work for the Chinese, although some of their crap is low priced and seems to last longer than the more expensive items

just bought an oil strainer for about 75c - works well and fast, cleans up well.
although just really a cheap plastic hope I get much use out of it

Domino Jan 15th 2014 1:03 pm

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11079483)
Seems to have been loads of bookshops gone belly up lately.
More elderly folk moving online, the popularity of the Kindle and the depth of the crisis, especially in Spain certainly haven't helped.
Not a great business to be in at the minute I would have thought, though a cup of coffee and a free tapas or three, might be a good idea to pull the punters in ;)

IME many bookshops are owned by elderly book lovers, who like you and me love the feel and the smell of old books.
hence they are too engrossed to even think of selling coffee/tapas - the smell will compete with that of the books and what happens if someone spills something :eek:

remember the old days when food shops only sole one type of food, then along came the likes of Fine Fare and Tesco to sell everything, then someone started selling fresh fruit & veg and fresh meet - so 2 more shops along the high street went bust.

but didn't Lloyds start in the coffee shops of London ??

jackytoo Jan 15th 2014 2:04 pm

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 
I am a luddite, I still prefer a real book. Borders had a great coffee area, nice cakes too. They even had quiz nights which were usually full.

BTW I forgot to mention, if you have a Waitrose card you can get a free daily coffee..and a free newspaper if you spend a fiver.

Domino Jan 15th 2014 2:39 pm

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!
 

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 11079725)
I am a luddite, I still prefer a real book. Borders had a great coffee area, nice cakes too. They even had quiz nights which were usually full.

BTW I forgot to mention, if you have a Waitrose card you can get a free daily coffee..and a free newspaper if you spend a fiver.

can you get one if resident in Spain ??


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com