British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/10-things-you-missing-out-if-you-dont-live-spain-821407/)

Lynn R Jan 14th 2014 5:38 pm

Re: 10 things you are missing out on if you don't live in Spain!

Originally Posted by stuboy (Post 11078332)
Thanks Lynn, no wonder I always get beer when I ask for a cool glass of refreshing water:sneaky:

I believe you, thousands wouldn't!:lol:

Dick Dasterdly Jan 14th 2014 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11078080)
The "illusion of choice" is a well known marketing trick. And the UK is the mecca of marketing expecially when it comes to food

Of course I havent been to every cafe in Noting Hill, and anyway, places in London tell to shut down and rebrand every few years

There may be the odd place that does good coffee, I found one Portuguese place when I was there, but they will be in the very small minority

If they made good coffee in London, then I may never have left! :D

Time for "a relaxing cup of coffee in Plaza Mayor" methinks. :lol:

Now if you want a really decent cup of coffee in Spain then go to a Venezuelan bar/restaurant and order a Barraquito Especial.

agoreira Jan 14th 2014 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11078221)
So now you are an expert on coffee?

You're fairly new, but this man is an expert on the world and it's contents, there is nothing he isn't an expert on. It's frightening for one so young, it's scary to think what knowledge he will have when he grows up.

jackytoo Jan 14th 2014 7:24 pm

Sticking with the coffee, most bars seem to use the same brands, nothing special. saimaza, Marcilla, Santa maria, even the dreaded Bonka! How can it be special...OK maybe that's all. Many of the high income bracket in Notting Hill are used to spending time in Tuscany etc. yes, coffee can be good in Italy too...do you actually think they won't demand a decent cup:confused:

Dick Dasterdly Jan 14th 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 11078519)
Sticking with the coffee, most bars seem to use the same brands, nothing special. saimaza, Marcilla, Santa maria, even the dreaded Bonka! How can it be special...OK maybe that's all. Many of the high income bracket in Notting Hill are used to spending time in tuscany etc. yes, coffee can be good in Italy too...do you actuall think they won't demand a decent cup:confused:

Quite so.
Just as well some Spanish shops are stocking English tea brands now, as their own feeble apology for a cuppa is diabolical,... if you can taste it t all that is. :thumbdown:

crookesey Jan 14th 2014 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 11078383)
You're fairly new, but this man is an expert on the world and it's contents, there is nothing he isn't an expert on. It's frightening for one so young, it's scary to think what knowledge he will have when he grows up.

:goodpost:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cricketman Jan 15th 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11078221)

When I go to one of these places I am asked what coffee I want and there is a choice from South America, Africa or Asia. I can choose what I like, be it weak or strong. Maybe the Spanish people who call British coffee ‘agua sucia’ should try a coffee house other than the cheapest.

Look, I love coffee, as does my Spanish wife

We went all over London trying to find a decent cup of coffee over the course of 5 years. The price didnt matter. And we failed miserably

jackytoo Jan 15th 2014 9:10 am

The Ritz has great coffee and it is served in a silver pot with fresh baked shortbread kept warm in a napkin...about £8:) London must be the best place to get good coffee given the high number of Spanish, Italian etc. establishments and the massive choice of brands.

In Spain we always bought our coffee beans from Sacarellos in Gibraltar...very good.

We were recently in Antigua. Everything super, couldn't fault it...except the filter coffee provided in the rooms was vile...we didn't give a damn:lol: Best coffee I had was in Kenya.

pedro pete Jan 15th 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11079260)

We went all over London trying to find a decent cup of coffee over the course of 5 years. The price didnt matter. And we failed miserably

:lol:

Really? Five years??

Or did you and your Spanish wife decide you were never going to find one and so the circle was complete? I have always found excellent coffee in London, the place is teeming with excellent coffee shops and eateries. It's difficult to go a day without finding another gem. Far better than some of the battery acid I have been served in Spain.

cricketman Jan 15th 2014 9:35 am

Originally Posted by pedro pete (Post 11079315)

Really? Five years??

Or did you and your Spanish wife decide you were never going to find one and so the circle was complete? I have always found excellent coffee in London, the place is teeming with excellent coffee shops and eateries. It's difficult to go a day without finding another gem. Far better than some of the battery acid I have been served in Spain.

It seems like, we are all wrong. Myself and my Spanish friends who I met in London must all live in an alternative universe :D

As for there being a "high number of Spanish establishments". There are a few, but they tend to be cr*ppy tapas places and not cafes serving coffee! And it was rare to find a Spaniard working in them, normally Eastern Europeans, but that may have changed recently

By the way, I agree that coffee in Italy is better than in Spain. Absolutely. But the coffee in the UK, while better than years ago, is still too watery

me me Jan 15th 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11079260)

I would have given up after 2 years and tried to find the holy grail instead.:)

steviedeluxe Jan 15th 2014 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 11079300)
The Ritz has great coffee and it is served in a silver pot with fresh baked shortbread kept warm in a napkin...about £8:) London must be the best place to get good coffee given the high number of Spanish, Italian etc. establishments and the massive choice of brands.

In Spain we always bought our coffee beans from Sacarellos in Gibraltar...very good.

We were recently in Antigua. Everything super, couldn't fault it...except the filter coffee provided in the rooms was vile...we didn't give a damn:lol: Best coffee I had was in Kenya.

Oh my, the ultimate in cherry picking. Easy to get good coffee in London - if you go to the Ritz! :rofl:
As it happens I know places to get decent coffee in London, normally Italian or Portuguese establishments in the past. I never came across "discerning Notting hIll types" though. The place is full of foreign visitors (a lot of Italian and Spanish - Portobello Road is almost the Spanish hq of London) mixed in with privileged trustifarians and the local hustlers. If you're looking for coffee snobs then Hoxton or Islington are probably better places to go.

steviedeluxe Jan 15th 2014 9:51 am

Originally Posted by pedro pete (Post 11079315)

Really? Five years??

Sorry not my experience either - too many chains, quick-buck coffee joints and greasy spoon places in London. Yes there are exceptions, for example a couple down Marylebone high street - but generally you have to pay - and wait in a slow queue. Give me the quick and reliable Spanish service anyday.

ononno Jan 15th 2014 9:52 am

:)Sorry folks, but if it aint Italian; preferably Neapolitan roast; from a Bialetti espresso maker, then it aint coffee.
by by dicette l'inglese,
'o nonno

me me Jan 15th 2014 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 11079300)

Foodbanks in the UK, and J2 having coffee in the Ritz. Rub it in why dontcha.:rofl::rofl:

What´s not to love:thumbsup:

That should stir it up on a dreary Wednesday.