Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to SA , Cape Town ?

Wanting to move to SA , Cape Town ?

Old Mar 17th 2018, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Dixon_77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move to SA , Cape Town ?

Hi All,

Looking to hear from anyone who has settled and living in SA at the moment from UK.

Is it worth moving or are things really bad, drought / crime etc.

Really have the idea of setting up guest house in Hout Bay or somewhere similar.

Please advise.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to SA , Cape Town ?

Originally Posted by Dixon_77
Hi All,

Looking to hear from anyone who has settled and living in SA at the moment from UK.

Is it worth moving or are things really bad, drought / crime etc.

Really have the idea of setting up guest house in Hout Bay or somewhere similar.

Please advise.
I have just come back after a 3 month holiday. We go every year (since 2010) and we went to Hout Bay for a meal once and did not go there again! Did not feel safe in Hout Bay and I was born not far away from there! We have noticed a slow deterioration which locals do not notice (frog in warm water syndrome)

The water situation was dire. We were having 2 showers week, hand washing our clothes in used water, relying on the well point to fill the toilet system and buying in drinking water in 5l bottles which regularly ran out in supermarkets so they rationed it! I cannot see it changing in the short term although the Government is trying to get schemes up and running. I know of a few guest houses closing down due to water.

Personally I would wait until this is normalised and the political situation has stabilised. Elections in 2019 and it will be interesting to see who gets where!

Keep your money safe in UK!
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Dixon_77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to move to SA , Cape Town ?

Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond . We will definitely hold back and think of another plan for the future.

Wishing you a lovely day