Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

visiting 3 months with 2 cats

visiting 3 months with 2 cats

Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:11 am
Just Joined

sixes is an unknown quantity at this point
Question visiting 3 months with 2 cats

Hi, I have a ticket to S Africa on Iberia from Madrid and I have since found out that JNB only accepts pets as manifest cargo not as excess baggage. I am aware of, and happily comply with, the import license ,rabies cert and all govt fees as a matter of course. But, the cargo co. wants to charge 1200 euros! I think that is excessive as they flew from San Diego to Paris for $400 USD, roughly the same travel time. Does anyone know of any way to beat this excessive fee? No, I cannot leave them, they must travel with me. and yes they have all their papers, chips and inoculations.
Thanks,
sixes
Old Dec 14th 2016, 1:03 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visiting 3 months with 2 cats

Hi - sorry for the delay in replying. We used these guys Pet Movers South Africa for your pet travel needs and they gave great advice. I'd give them a shout before you do anything else.

As I'm sure you'll discover, SA and their customs officials are a law unto themselves (literally) so expect the unexpected. We imported a dog to SA in 1997 - and they had to travel as cargo. Expensive and a pain, but there was no way round it then. I hope the rules have changed, but speaking to a pet importing expert will be your best bet. Good luck.