Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Visas (again!) Dazed and confused

Visas (again!) Dazed and confused

Old Jun 13th 2017, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Suzie22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visas (again!) Dazed and confused

Apparently, there is a visa for SA which requires you to prove you have R12 million in assets and pay £6,000. I don't know if it is permanent or temporary, and I cannot find it on either VFS global or the South African High Commissions website.
Does it exist, where is it, and what is it called, please?
Looking forward to hearing from someone
Suzie
Old Jun 14th 2017, 9:33 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visas (again!) Dazed and confused

Originally Posted by Suzie22
Apparently, there is a visa for SA which requires you to prove you have R12 million in assets and pay £6,000. I don't know if it is permanent or temporary, and I cannot find it on either VFS global or the South African High Commissions website.
Does it exist, where is it, and what is it called, please?
Looking forward to hearing from someone
Suzie
Sounds like an investor permit. See here https://www.intergate-immigration.co...uth-africa.php

Not sure if this is what you're after?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 10:38 am
Just Joined

That's the one, thank you very much! I looked at Intergate, as it was a recommended company, but could not get beyond their home page, as I didnt want to involve them just yet.

This visa option does not, however, appear to be listed on VFS website so would it have to be something you did once you were in SA?

I find the VFS website truly baffling. All I need for the moment is a permit to stay for 17 weeks as a UK citizen with husband. Am currently going down the path of retired, as no other option seems to fit. Not a musician, nor a sculptor, nor a volunteer, just someone who wants to spend more than 12 weeks in SA without working!

Thanks again for getting back to me, voice in the dark!
Suzie
Old Jun 14th 2017, 5:21 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Suzie

No worries, I'm afraid this is a lonely old part of British Expats, Africa doesn't hold the appeal it once did.

I've been away from there for 4 years, so am a little out of date on the latest visas. I do know you can do 12 weeks without problem as you mention, and I am confident you can either apply for an extension or leave SA and come back in get another 90 days when that runs out - you used to be able to cross into Moz or Zim and just come back the next day. As long as you aren't working, it's usually not an issue but you sometimes have to show your return ticket - or at least confirmed as to leave SA before they let you back in.

Is your husband British or South African? You can attach your status to his (if he has one). If not, then you're both in the same boat and can only be there as visitors without jumping through the hoops listed on the website.

I've never heard of Intergate but have heard VFS now do all South African visas - something home affairs used to do. I don't know if they know of a suitable visa - I don't even know if you can speak to someone there. I assume they charge (like a wounded Buffalo) for everything.

Good luck - I know this hasn't been much help but there are a few of us rattling around down here who can certainly lend support or try and figure out a solution.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Hi again!

I really do appreciate all your advice. VFS does visas now for a good part of the planet, typical outsourcing to save money, I guess. Intergate is just what you describe, a company which assists you to get your visa for a fee. Show me your watch, and I'll tell you the time, sort of thing. Still, that can be useful if you are in the dark, and I am that! Hubby is a Brit, like me, but we married in Zim in 2002 and I have kept my previous name (long story), so I know I am gonna have problems. We also have to get everything validated so I am guessing that I will need to get the marriage certificate validated at the Zimbabwean Embassy in London.

I am committed (or is that 'should be committed?) to remaining positive about the Cradle of Mankind. Love it with a passion, do not know any of the diaspora who like it in the UK, and if I am really lucky, I will die there. Hopefully, of old age! Thanks again.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping your maiden name is the way oit is donw of most of the Planet. This weird idea of taking your husband/s name on marriage is not universal !
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

It's a non-issue Suzie. SA is still quite traditional in some ways, and many women do take their husband's name on marriage, but it's not a legal requirement.

I know several women, including my daughter, who have retained their maiden names for professional reasons.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you last two posters, sorry I have been slow to respond, but I really appreciate your help! Not looking forward to visa interview...why do I always feel so naughty when I'm not!! It's like when you go through customs, and you are being good as gold, but you feel you are going to get leapt on any second!