Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

South African ID Document Question

South African ID Document Question

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:48 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default South African ID Document Question

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to process a first (applicant at age 16) ID document application?

Thanks
Old Aug 26th 2011, 4:44 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South African ID Document Question

Originally Posted by paulry
Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to process a first (applicant at age 16) ID document application?

Thanks
Assuming the 16 year old is South African, has all their paperwork and uses a competent HA office, 4-6 weeks....
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:01 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Assuming the 16 year old is South African, has all their paperwork and uses a competent HA office, 4-6 weeks....
Thanks. He's newly registered as South African (by decent) since January and he received his SA passport a couple of months ago. Apparently Home Affairs have had the ID document paperwork since May.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 3:03 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. He's newly registered as South African (by decent) since January and he received his SA passport a couple of months ago. Apparently Home Affairs have had the ID document paperwork since May.
Then a competent HA office wasn't used....they have got better lately, but it is very patchy, all the documents need to go via Pretoria and they do tend to sit and wait in the local offices before someone thinks it would be a good idea to actually start processing them.

Of course, if he was Zimbabwean, he'd be fine...
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ededed
Then a competent HA office wasn't used....they have got better lately, but it is very patchy, all the documents need to go via Pretoria and they do tend to sit and wait in the local offices before someone thinks it would be a good idea to actually start processing them.

Of course, if he was Zimbabwean, he'd be fine...
Yeah I had the feeling that is what's happened. SA government services are so variable in quality. Just have to go with the flow I suppose. But at least my kids have their SA birth certs and their passports so we are slowly making progress...

Crazy the system there sometimes. My sister went to Home Affairs a few years back and was told she doesn't exist. That was fun
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't my ID book which I applied for in London more than a year ago. After millions of emails to get it sent to Canberra, it still hasn't arrived.

Appllied for the kids S.A. passports from here in Oz just under a year ago and haven't got them either.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I still haven't my ID book which I applied for in London more than a year ago. After millions of emails to get it sent to Canberra, it still hasn't arrived.

Appllied for the kids S.A. passports from here in Oz just under a year ago and haven't got them either.
I got my SA passport renewed before leaving the UK and it took exactly 3 months with it arriving just a couple of weeks before we were due to leave.

The kids I registered their births in Canberra High Comm early January just before eldest's 16th bithday (I know, just in time ). There we had excellent quality service to match the grand Cape Dutch splendor and setting of the High Comm building IMHO. Very helpful efficient and polite staff. The Birth Certs and passports were done in about 4 months. Eldest's ID document is taking an age and not even the lady at the High Comm seems to know how much longer it'll take. Have you tried emailing the High Comm about your kid's passports? I think 3/4 months is the target so something's wrong there. I'll msg you the email addy and name of the very efficient lady there who helped us.

Last edited by paulry; Aug 26th 2011 at 11:09 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I got my SA passport renewed before leaving the UK and it took exactly 3 months with it arriving just a couple of weeks before we were due to leave.

The kids I registered their births in Canberra High Comm early January just before eldest's 16th bithday (I know, just in time ). There we had excellent quality service to match the grand Cape Dutch splendor and setting of the High Comm building IMHO. Very helpful efficient and polite staff. The Birth Certs and passports were done in about 4 months. Have you tried emailing the High Comm about it? I'll msg you the email addy and name of the very efficient lady there who helped us.
Thanks P. Have just emailed them all again. Send me the addy and I'll see if it is the same lady I have been dealing with.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:13 am

Bloody foreigners...
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

I was lucky enough to get to go live/ work in Cape Town on a 2.5 year secondment until last February.

My initial 2 year work visa was due to expire November 2010, so I applied about October 2010 for the renewal seeing as my contract was extended.

By the end of February 2011, there was still no sign of my visa renewal. I decided to take a position over here in Sydney and ironically, I got a call from the immigration consultants on the day I left South Africa to say my visa was ready for collection.

"Sorry, but I am no longer in the country!"

Despite this, I am keen to go back to Cape Town, yet on speaking to the consultants and Home Affairs, it seems my visa has already been "collected", yet neither myself, the immigration consultants nor Home Affairs know by who. The matter is apparently receiving the attention of someone in Pretoria, but it's probably futile.

I'm a homesick Pom (with a South African wife), now living in Sydney who pines for Cape so badly, but I have to question my decision to perhaps go back to a country run by utter morons.....
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by pomE
I was lucky enough to get to go live/ work in Cape Town on a 2.5 year secondment until last February.

My initial 2 year work visa was due to expire November 2010, so I applied about October 2010 for the renewal seeing as my contract was extended.

By the end of February 2011, there was still no sign of my visa renewal. I decided to take a position over here in Sydney and ironically, I got a call from the immigration consultants on the day I left South Africa to say my visa was ready for collection.

"Sorry, but I am no longer in the country!"

Despite this, I am keen to go back to Cape Town, yet on speaking to the consultants and Home Affairs, it seems my visa has already been "collected", yet neither myself, the immigration consultants nor Home Affairs know by who. The matter is apparently receiving the attention of someone in Pretoria, but it's probably futile.

I'm a homesick Pom (with a South African wife), now living in Sydney who pines for Cape so badly, but I have to question my decision to perhaps go back to a country run by utter morons.....
I know what you mean, it's one of those heart/head dilemmas. And once they've sorted out this little "anomoly" you'll still need to jump two more times through the temporary visa hoops before you can qualify for PR.

Good luck!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

And once they've sorted out this little "anomoly" you'll still need to jump two more times through the temporary visa hoops before you can qualify for PR.
Don't worry. When Malema becomes president you won't want PR.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

LaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really nice

I.D's are taking approx 12 weeks to be processed. I applied for mine almost 9 weeks ago and still haven't received it back!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks P. Have just emailed them all again. Send me the addy and I'll see if it is the same lady I have been dealing with.

Cheers.
Got a reply today saying both kids passports are there.

(They received the applications on 11th October 2010.)

Still no ID book though.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

LaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really nice

Got a reply today saying both kids passports are there.

(They received the applications on 11th October 2010.)

Still no ID book though.
Good news. Amazing how passports come back quicker than I.D. books. Lets hope you don't have to wait as long as me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.