Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Returning SA Citizec - Car issue to take or not

Returning SA Citizec - Car issue to take or not

Old Jan 28th 2018, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Aileen007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Returning SA Citizec - Car issue to take or not

Hi
I’m a returning SA citizen with dual British cite zen ship, been here in the UK for 14 years and finally returning home to Cape Town. I have a VW Tiguan which is now fully paid for ? How does the VAT and duty work ? Would I have to pay all those costs on shipping and HOPE that SARS gives me the duty back or ?. So I guess I’m asking is the hassle worth it ?
Old Jan 28th 2018, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Returning SA Citizec - Car issue to take or not

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth the hassle for a returning resident to take a car back to SA ? I’ve no idea on costs as I’ve just started thinking it might be an option ?.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 9:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No personal experience but Google threw up some useful looking links:

https://www.gov.za/services/import/i...r-used-vehicle

https://www.autoshippers.co.uk/south...ping_guide.htm
Old Jan 29th 2018, 12:48 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

One thought - is a vw tiguan a good car to have? My experience with VAG is that its ok so long as theres a proper vw dealer to hand, else forget it, they are far too fragile complex and difficult to work on, and of course the jewel of indestructable rugged simplicity is made in south africe - the toyota highlux... The taliban buy nothing less...

Here its those, or isuzu trucks.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 4:58 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aileen
Knowing the auto market well in both countries, I'd say don't bother. If your car was rare or collectible, that may be a different matter, but a Tiguan would make no sense.
You would pay VAT on the full landed value (including shipping) and would also pay a duty - I believe it's only 10-20% or so now, but still on the full market value. The shipping is also not just small change.
Sell your car and buy a similar, used one in SA - in real terms, the prices are not that much higher in SA. The SA-market ones actually tend to have more standard equipment than UK versions. Plus, you'll score on the exchange rate with the ££ from your UK-sold car.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the advice � ���� yep I have been mulling it over and I think you have just crystallised my thinking so thanks for that � ����� ����
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:16 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Hi Aileen
Knowing the auto market well in both countries, I'd say don't bother. If your car was rare or collectible, that may be a different matter, but a Tiguan would make no sense.
You would pay VAT on the full landed value (including shipping) and would also pay a duty - I believe it's only 10-20% or so now, but still on the full market value. The shipping is also not just small change.
Sell your car and buy a similar, used one in SA - in real terms, the prices are not that much higher in SA. The SA-market ones actually tend to have more standard equipment than UK versions. Plus, you'll score on the exchange rate with the ££ from your UK-sold car.
Isn’t it duty free if you have owned it for more than 12 months?

The cost of cars in SA is very high, driven by weak rand and higher interest rates. https://www.autotrader.co.za/makemod...to-2013/search. This shows a 2013 Tiguan at R300k (£18k). A similar model in the UK is half that. Shipping would be a couple of grand, and I imagine you would need to register / licence (SA’s MOT) the car too.

I wouldn’t discount it without some proper research, I’m sure it will be cheaper - and VW is a big brand in SA so parts and servicing shouldn’t be an issue.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks am revisiting this as an option now - is value calculated at the uK value or the SA value ? So my car now is worth £13 000 I’ve looked at similar options available in SA and secondhand market looks like I’d pay R290 000 which comes in at around £18 000 so even with shipping costs it’s lookimg like a better option to take it with me ? Am I missing anything ?
Old Mar 5th 2018, 11:27 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I think you havent understood customs...

Valuation is their domain, you can show them receipts till you are blue in the face, but they decide what they think its worth, and if you dont like it you can ship it back - plus in some countries thats what its worth in their country not your last one, then they add the cost of freight and insurance, then they charge you duty asa % of that total then they add their standard charge, then add any vat type taxes on it all......

Incidentally, its not a level playing field, car importers get tax breaks and incentives from the factories you dont, and their values are pre-agreed typically.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Mar 5th 2018 at 11:29 am.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 11:32 am
Just Joined

I’m trying to estimate real numbers here ? And whether or not I should take the car. - as a guesstimate what do you think I’m looking at shelling out on a vehicle worth R290 000? When you say freight ? That is what I
Pay to get it there not what the SA side add ?
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Aileen007
I’m trying to estimate real numbers here ? And whether or not I should take the car. - as a guesstimate what do you think I’m looking at shelling out on a vehicle worth R290 000? When you say freight ? That is what I
Pay to get it there not what the SA side add ?
I’ll say it again, duty is a % based on landed price which is what they think it’s worth plus freight from origin to the landed location plus insurance even if you didn’t pay any plus ports have their own charges plus vat or similar if applicable. Here it totals about 160% but here is expensive, your own customs people should be able to show you the calculations.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - I don’t understand customs and all that is involved so despite knowing there is VAT and duty to pay plus the obvious shipping fee and insurances I’m still no the wiser in terms of what an estimation might look like. I’ll see if I can get in touch with SARS and see if I get anywhere.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:33 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I’ll say it again, duty is a % based on landed price which is what they think it’s worth plus freight from origin to the landed location plus insurance even if you didn’t pay any plus ports have their own charges plus vat or similar if applicable. Here it totals about 160% but here is expensive, your own customs people should be able to show you the calculations.
If you are a returning resident, you can import one vehicle duty free... some hoops to jump through, but if you qualify, it will be worth it.

Old Mar 5th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ededed
If you are a returning resident, you can import one vehicle duty free... some hoops to jump through, but if you qualify, it will be worth it.

Thanks yes I am a returning resident .