Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Moving to work in Cape town from the UK

Moving to work in Cape town from the UK

Old Jun 17th 2016, 10:42 am
Just Joined

ElliotW88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to work in Cape town from the UK

Hi,

I am writing to you for advice regarding visa applications for my wife and I who are interested in moving to Cape Town and working for a year or two there (as current plans stand).

I am English and she is Spanish and we have lived in the UK together for just under 3 years.

She is a qualified architect so I understand she should apply for a critical skills visa and would not need a job offer before being granted a visa but has a year to find employment as an architect there?

I work in market research and my company has an office in Cape Town so I assume my best chance of living and working there us via a company transfer visa? Or is there another route for me?

I also have family from South Africa (my grandfather who has now passed away and his wife and their daughter who still live there who are all SA permanent residents) does this provide another option?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20th 2016, 5:29 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to work in Cape town from the UK

Hi Elliot, welcome to BE and to the South African forum.

Some great info here which may answer some of your questions:

https://www.immigrationsouthafrica.org/faq/

It seems only direct bloodline relatives will help you qualify (father/mother etc), so I doubt the family situation would be strong enough to qualify.

If she gets a work permit, you can't work unless you're on the critical skills list too and apply for your own visa. You can get a company transfer but I'd suggest that may be a little tricky as they need to prove they can't employ a local to do the same job, and there are lots of market research companies in CT. If she works there and ends up with Permanent Residency, then you can get naturalized and you can work freely. Sadly, this takes 5 years.

The transfer is your best bet. Good luck, shout if you need any more info.