Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Moving to Hout Bay Cape Town

Moving to Hout Bay Cape Town

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

andrean.ferns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Hout Bay Cape Town

I am looking for any advice from a British person with a family that have moved to Hout Bay from the UK. We are considering moving to Hout Bay for 2 years. I would like any advice on private schools, we have a 9 year old son, rentals for houses, things to do, buying a car, golfing, horseriding, mobile phones, is Sky TV available for English channels, can you still use a BT email address etc etc. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give. Please can you email me with any advice, * * snipping email address ** . Many thanks

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 4th 2016 at 3:51 am. Reason: email address removed
Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:09 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Hout Bay Cape Town

Hi Andrea, welcome to BE. It's best to post advice on the forum, so that way everyone else can benefit from the discussion and add their own views.

Very briefly, no you can't get Sky on regular TV, but if you have a valid Sky Extra subscription and a VPN masker (such as tunnelbear) it's easy to get. DSTV is the local equivalent and it's not bad, but with Amazon Prime and Netflix available you don't really need it.

Yes you can use your BT internet email address, assuming it's a web based browser?

Mobiles are expensive and coverage is patchy, Vodacom and MTN are the main suppliers. Buying a car is easy with cash, but you will need a tracking unit if you want to insure it (which isn't compulsory). Netstar or Tracker are the 2 main tracking companies. All main brands are available, and all have websites but Used Cars for Sale South Africa, New Cars, Second Hand Cars | Auto Trader is a good place to start. For rental properties, go to Property For Sale | Houses For Sale | Property Rentals | Auctions - all the main agencies are listed there.

Plenty of golf courses, there are literally dozens in the area and all are good. Caddies are freely available and reasonable, and golf is quite affordable when compared to the UK.

I never lived in Hout Bay so can't comment on schools (or horse riding) but the best "mass market" private school are the Curro group, check them out.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 12:14 am
Account Closed

andrean.ferns is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply I thought I had posted my question on the forum! Please would you be kind enough to tell me how to do this? And thank you for your advice. Andrea
Old Jan 6th 2016, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You have posted on the correct forum....... the mod is telling you that people will respond to the forum and not to your email address, which has been removed.

Cheers
Old Feb 7th 2016, 8:15 am
Just Joined

hardylx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Andrea, well first of all I envy you your move to Hout Bay. I spent 8 years there running my own guesthouse. I do not have a family but will share information I do have!

It is a wonderful outdoor way of life, specially for children who can enjoy all kinds of sports, beach etc. and believe me you will not care which TV stations your TV carries! because there is so much to do including horse riding locally or thru some of the best vinyards, one of the biggest Constantia about 5 minutes from Hout Bay.

Hout Bay is a tourist area, so I would advise setting up accommodation via the local agents in advance as it is in demand and very expensive in high season but there are plenty of other areas just outside which are not so expensive. Generally accommodation is of a high standard usually with beautiful views of which there are many in Hout Bay, ocean or mountain.

You do not say the purpose of your stay, I had a business visa which took ages to come thru and you will need plenty of patience with anything to do with paperwork. I did actually just go and my business visa came 5 months after my arrival.

South Africans are very friendly and chatty and always willing to help practically and with information.

Wine and food are wonderful as are the outdoor coffee shops in lovely locations.

I think I would choose a property which already has wi fi, phone etc. which will make it easier than setting it all up for yourself. Choose a place with DSTV also, a tv system which provides a large number of channels.

OK, yes I would highly recommend with certain provisos, crime, you must be constantly vigilent. I actually left because my home was broken into and I was attacked and quite badly injured. This followed many many other petty types of crime thru my time there. Check any accommodation is safe and secure. I had electric fencing & gate, beams on my verandah and an armed security service as standard.

The other annoyance is shortage of services, water and electricity being two of the most frequent.

However, I still love South Africa with a passion, it's beauty is beyond compare and it is a terrific lifestyle. Food is much cheaper than here as well.

OK if you want to write to me for contacts I will be happy to help - snip -

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 8th 2016 at 11:11 am. Reason: Email address removed to save you from spambots/weirdos - BE is a public forum!