Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Move to Cape Town - Advice Needed!

Move to Cape Town - Advice Needed!

Old Dec 14th 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

phenom5886 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Cape Town - Advice Needed!

Hi All,

New member here looking for some advice.

I have been offered a job in Cape Town (which I think I am going to accept) and will move with my partner and dog!

The job would be based day to day in Sea Point.

Could you guys give me any steer on what suburbs would be good to live for a couple with a dog?

Looking to understand from people who actually live in Cape Town what the best areas are and what areas might be better in terms of the commute to Sea Point.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:40 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Cape Town - Advice Needed!

Hi Alex, welcome to BE.

We are light on members who live in CT - Kiwibok is an occasional poster and knows the city well, I'm sure he will be along to provide advice. Unfortunately, I don't know the area well enough to comment.

Good luck with the move,

Cheers

Ed
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phenom5886

I have been offered a job in Cape Town (which I think I am going to accept) and will move with my partner and dog!

Could you guys give me any steer on what suburbs would be good to live for a couple with a dog?

Looking to understand from people who actually live in Cape Town what the best areas are and what areas might be better in terms of the commute to Sea Point.
Well you could try Sea Point itself I suppose, or look west to Green Point, or east along the Atlantic seaboard (Camps Bay etc), or over the hill into the city (Tamboerskloof etc).

It depends what your personal priorities are and also what you can afford.

Estate agent web sites will give you a good idea of the kind of properties you get for your money in the various areas.

(I don't live in CT any longer. But the layout of the place hasn't changed.)
Old Dec 15th 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Alex

I know CT quite well, but I've always lived in Joburg so I can't give you specific recommendations. It really depends on what you're looking for, and your budget, because CT can be expensive. Check out some of the estate agents and property websites to get an idea of rentals as Pablo suggested. Dogs aren't normally a problem in suburban houses, but complexes can be sticky about pets. It all depends on the lease and what you agree with the owner.

CT traffic can be horrendous, so it might be a good idea to ask your prospective employer for advice about areas and commuting too.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by phenom5886

Looking to understand from people who actually live in Cape Town what the best areas are and what areas might be better in terms of the commute to Sea
Further South from Seapoint can be very nice. (I would avoid staying in Seapoint)

Bantry Bay, Clifton, Camps Bay and Llundadno are all awesome but pricy. If you renting though u may find a good rental.

If I was taking a job in Sea point I would probably live further out. Somewhere like Hout Bay. Nice rural feeling, not too far from CT and plenty to do.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Tricia17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I live here. Seapoint has fantastic weather and a lovely promenade for the dog. Hout Bay is about 20 mins drive and more family orientated. The false bay side is magical and cheaper but a long drive if you have to fight peak hour traffic. I am not fond of the northern suburbs but it's a personal preference. If you work in seapoint I would live in the area at least for a while. The beachfront is best for running a dog. Shout if you want more detail.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Webstar is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont live in Cape Town anymore, just want to tell you that CT is a fun and nice place I've ever been in South Africa.

Good luck!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice

We're intending to do the reverse chickenrun towards the end of this year, also to WP, and are currently favouring the area Milnerton - Sea Point - Bloubergstrand. We took a drive through Blouberg this New Year and we now know to avoid the big road through it (West Road?) because of traffic, but any recommendations on nice areas/dodgy areas would be welcome.

Once we've sold up in the UK, we hope to have about R2.5M to spend on something nice for our daughter and her family of four, with cottage for us ballies. Too optimistic?

Mike G
-------
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Steyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

I live in Blouberg - it's beautiful but the traffic to get into central CT is horrendous on the West Coast Rd (R27) so if you want to move to West Coast suburbs then you need to leave super early to get into the city for work.

Beautiful place though and the beach and view of the mountain is amazing
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:07 am
Just Joined

phenom5886 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies everyone much appreciated.

Turns out the job is actually in the city bowl so have been looking at TBK, Oranjezicht, Gardens etc. anyone got any advise around these areas or other areas to live when working in the city bowl?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Steyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud ofSteyner2011 has much to be proud of

Sorry I don't know that area too well but pretty much anywhere in CT is beautiful
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas
We're intending to do the reverse chickenrun towards the end of this year, also to WP, and are currently favouring the area Milnerton - Sea Point - Bloubergstrand. We took a drive through Blouberg this New Year and we now know to avoid the big road through it (West Road?) because of traffic, but any recommendations on nice areas/dodgy areas would be welcome.

Once we've sold up in the UK, we hope to have about R2.5M to spend on something nice for our daughter and her family of four, with cottage for us ballies. Too optimistic?

Mike G
-------
Try some real estate sites. R2.5 Mil should get you something very decent, methinks. Maybe not in Seapoint.

http://www.property24.com/for-sale/western-cape/9

www.seeff.co.za/western-cape.html

Good luck.

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 20th 2014 at 10:08 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice

Thanks, Alfresco. I see what you mean about Sea Point!

Cheap property in Parklands, but I've heard it's not a salubrious area - anyone know?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any personal knowledge of Parklands, but I asked a couple of people I know in CT and they had strong reservations about it.

Objectively, I had a look at the crime statistics. Crimes against the person seem to be trending upwards, other than murder, and the figures for robbery and aggravated robbery (where a weapon is involved) are disturbing. Drug related crimes also seem to be increasing steadily. Parklands falls under Table View police precinct, and you can find the full breakdown here: http://crimestatssa.com/precinct.php?id=1012. This site uses the police statistics, but is easier to navigate and the summaries are presented in a more user friendly format.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Martyn, that's a useful link, if a bit frightening. I wonder if the increase in residential crime might be partly due to just increased population North of CT - certainly seemed to be a lot of new developments when we went through in January.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.