Importing a car to SA

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

FijiUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a car to SA

I have a car in the UK I am considering bringing to SA. Does anyone have any experience in this and is it worth the hassle?

The car is not worth much in the UK but I have had it from new and as I cant buy a new car in SA for another year or two, I would much rather use MY old banger than anyone else's.

I am on a temporary residency which (I believe) allows me to bring in personal effects (excluding cars) duty free. I am hoping to just get a container and include the car to save cost and just pay duty for the car.

Any ideas on approximate clearing cost for the car would be appreciated. Its a 10 year old Mercedes CLK.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:00 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car to SA

Originally Posted by FijiUK
I have a car in the UK I am considering bringing to SA. Does anyone have any experience in this and is it worth the hassle?

The car is not worth much in the UK but I have had it from new and as I cant buy a new car in SA for another year or two, I would much rather use MY old banger than anyone else's.

I am on a temporary residency which (I believe) allows me to bring in personal effects (excluding cars) duty free. I am hoping to just get a container and include the car to save cost and just pay duty for the car.

Any ideas on approximate clearing cost for the car would be appreciated. Its a 10 year old Mercedes CLK.
I stand under correction, but if you have owned the car for more than a year, and it is fully paid off, then you can import it duty free as a personal effect. Check with a shipping agent (Crown relocations, for example)
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ededed
I stand under correction, but if you have owned the car for more than a year, and it is fully paid off, then you can import it duty free as a personal effect. Check with a shipping agent (Crown relocations, for example)
Thanks for your response Ed... True if I had a permanent residency. At the moment I only have temporary residency which means I don't qualify for duty-free importation of an automobile.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 2:27 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response Ed... True if I had a permanent residency. At the moment I only have temporary residency which means I don't qualify for duty-free importation of an automobile.
Then get someone with PR to import it on your behalf, no?
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Not really as that would mean I have to register it in there name in the uk and wait a year before importing it.
I'm happy paying as long as it doesn't turn out to be more expensive than buying a equivalent car locally.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 12:41 pm

Not really as that would mean I have to register it in there name in the uk and wait a year before importing it.
I'm happy paying as long as it doesn't turn out to be more expensive than buying a equivalent car locally.
I doubt it - as long as they have the same surname. You are placing far too much faith in the ability of customs
Old Sep 15th 2014, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ededed
I doubt it - as long as they have the same surname. You are placing far too much faith in the ability of customs
Knowing my luck, Mr Jobsworth would be on duty the day my car arrives.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

MegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura about

Can't your wife import it? Doesn't she have a SA passport.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:23 am
Just Joined

terence2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested in this too. Technically I've never emigrated so not sure I can return with a car.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:54 am

With the depreciation of the rand, aren't cars cheaper in SA now? I would imagine so. With the recession I'm sure there's an over supply. It's worth talking to the banks to see what repos they have.