Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Getting a job- seems impossible!!

Getting a job- seems impossible!!

Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:01 am
Just Joined

j25p is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Getting a job- seems impossible!!

Hi i have been living in SA for over a year now and cant get a job! I am on a relatives permit and cant get a work one until i have a job offer but cant get a job without a permit to work!! Also everyone wants me to be able to speak fluent Afrikaans which i definitely cant!! Anyone else having problems like me
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:26 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job- seems impossible!!

Originally Posted by j25p
Hi i have been living in SA for over a year now and cant get a job! I am on a relatives permit and cant get a work one until i have a job offer but cant get a job without a permit to work!! Also everyone wants me to be able to speak fluent Afrikaans which i definitely cant!! Anyone else having problems like me
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Most companies won't appoint anyone without the right to work (and ID book or a work permit) - that's a subject that's been covered many times here on BE. Your only hope is to find casual work (cash in hand) from a friend or relative, but that depends on what you want to do (or are prepared to do) and where you live. Let us know and maybe someone can offer some advice.

I lived in SA for 11 years and never had to speak Afrikaans a single day in my life - Unless you are living in Bloemfontein or Kimberley, this really shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by ededed; Oct 18th 2014 at 2:12 am.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j25p
Where do you live in SA? Certainly folks in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town don't insist you speak Afrikaans
Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

OK, being unable to speak Afrikaans is probably the least of the challenges expats face in finding employment. The biggest single problem is that employers have to jump through a number of hoops to motivate employing an expat rather than a local, and persuade Home Affairs to issue a work permit.

Where do you live or want to live, what field(s) do you work in, and what qualifications and experience do you have? These are key questions.

FWIW, both my kids were born and grew up in SA. They speak basic Afrikaans, but are a long way from being fluent and have never found this to be a problem. Neither have any of their friends who come from English speaking backgrounds.

Last edited by MartynK; Oct 18th 2014 at 8:03 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 2:31 pm
Banned

Biancavj is an unknown quantity at this point

You are welcome to send me your CV <snip> i will forward it to my Manager, we have many british expats working here.

Most of our clients are also UK Expats

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 24th 2014 at 4:54 pm. Reason: Please don't put your email address on your posts. The OP can contact you via the forum if they wish. Thx.