Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Facts, figures and other deliberations ... CT

Facts, figures and other deliberations ... CT

Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cape Town

As somebody who has many friends and relatives living happy and contented lives in the Western Cape, I believe that Kiwibot is deliberately putting South Africa down, quite possibly for racist reasons. He will undoubtedly deny this, but I have found that many South Africans who flee the country do so simply because they cannot cope without Apartheid.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
I have found that many South Africans who flee the country do so simply because they cannot cope without Apartheid.
Black South Africans?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:35 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Black South Africans?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ededed
1. You give the impression. Posting stats about crime every day gives this impression. Idiot.
Please stop the name-calling Ed, it’s against the rules of this forum. I don’t post crime here every day so not sure what you are smoking. In fact I have not been on this site for over a year.

2. No, Wikipedia is NOT credible. It is written by people like you and not an official source of information. But, despite this, you post stats THE MAJORITY OF WHICH ARE TAKEN FROM TOWNSHIPS!!!!!! Everyone knows the crime stats are awful here, but how come I still, after 9 years, don't know anyone who has been murdered or a victim of violent crime? Idiot. People who are a)British and b)expats don't live in TOWNSHIPS.
The beauty of Wikipedia is that you can go and edit what you feel is not a reflection of the truth. If you feel its wrong then go and edit away. Let the op make his own conclusions if its safe to walk the streets at night!

3. Yes, world class. Because the government is corrupt and incompetent the 0.5% of my life that involves them is frustrating, the 99.5% of my life that doesn't, isn't. The point I was making is that crime is a minor factor compared to other frustrations. When have I ever suggested otherwise? Idiot.
I love the way you keep throwing in useless thumb sucked statistics Ed. Where do the 0.5 and 99.5% stats come from? You state that crime is a minor factor compared to other frustrations? Do some research into a report by the SAIRR, it states that one million whites have left south Africa between 1995 and 2005, crime and affirmative action as the main reasons! Not saying you wrong, and not denying its not possible to live the way you are! Nowhere have I said that. I’m just guessing that you are the exception to the rule.

One million people Ed. Thats a large number, equivalent to about a quarter of the population of New Zealand.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that people can be happy here? I just don't get it?
I know a few people in South Africa that are very happy. Why do you assume this?

You are beneath pity. I'd put you on ignore but I think your posts are dangerous and need countering with honesty and balance.
I think its more dangerous going around and telling people that SA streets are safe to walk at night! As I mentioned previously. I am from Cape Town. I know the facts. I worked on neighbourhood watch when I was there. I patrolled neighboorhoods at night. I saw it all, and my advice to not walk the streets at night around cape town cannot come from a better sourse! When last were you in CT Ed? As mentioned too, I just got back from SA, Cape Town and could not believe the deteriation. But thats my opinion and you have the right to disagree if u like.

You aleady admintted you cannot answer the ops question. You ignored the question about robberies but chose to rather bring up the typical cape town like all cities .... Junk.

Originally Posted by Syed NYC
2. General question on the cities crime rate, are there a lot of robberies? Is it safe to have a drink and walk back home at night?
2. Cape Town, like all cities, has good and bad areas. You will need a car, but can't drink and drive - and there is no safe public transport. People smarter than me can give advise on the best areas. I have been to CT dozens of times but usually for a day or two at a time.
And stop calling me mate. You wish.
What a contradiction ...

Same old Kiwibok. Happy Christmas mate.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

I believe that Kiwibot is deliberately putting South Africa down, quite possibly for racist reasons. He will undoubtedly deny this, but I have found that many South Africans who flee the country do so simply because they cannot cope without Apartheid.

WHat a funny comment. Maybe take the time out one day with some of these south africans and ask them what would have to change for them to return to South Africa ...I guarantee that you would probably get an answers along the lines of ....

1) Crime
2) Abolish AA (Affirmative action)

Last edited by kiwibok; Jan 9th 2013 at 9:53 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Facts, figures and other deliberations ... CT

I've split a ton of posts from the orignal thread, because this seems to have turned into some sort of one-up-manship and the OP was totally forgotten .. no wonder he/she didn't come back.

Anyway feel free to continue your deliberations here ... but lets not go down the name calling route ...

Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue
I've split a ton of posts from the orignal thread, because this seems to have turned into some sort of one-up-manship and the OP was totally forgotten .. no wonder he/she didn't come back.

Anyway feel free to continue your deliberations here ... but lets not go down the name calling route ...

Thanks
Thanks Sue. And nice to see that South Africa has its own forum again. We all know that South Africa and especially cape town is not really part of Africa
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:05 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

No. Unsubscribing. I don't have the energy or the desire to have the life force sucked out of me by you.

Anyone who needs to - please PM me for any accurate information. Happy to help. I just can't allow myself to bang my head against the wall in this thread any more.

Last edited by ededed; Jan 10th 2013 at 3:20 am.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:49 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

As somebody who has many friends and relatives living happy and contented lives in the Western Cape, I believe that Kiwibot is deliberately putting South Africa down, quite possibly for racist reasons. He will undoubtedly deny this, but I have found that many South Africans who flee the country do so simply because they cannot cope without Apartheid.
Absolutely, there simply could not be another reason now could there.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future

I have just returned from Cape Town, and had such a ball that I would consider moving there permanently (despite my homesickness for Blighty). Some various random observations about crime and related things (deprivation and so on):

- the overwhelming majority takes place in the non-wealthy areas
- crime in the wealthy (ie, white) areas remains high
- people did not walk the streets at night in the (wealthy) suburb in which I stayed
- a schoolchild was shot dead on the first day of term
- houses in said suburb all had high walls and one or more of electric fencing, ornamental (but very sharp) spikes, burglar alarms and a very big dog
- the local newspaper hailed that fact that only two murders (one during a burglary) had taken place over the festive season
- I was accosted by beggars in central CPT and at traffic lights etc
- I saw no crime actually taking place
- my hosts actually never bothered switching their electric fencing on, and often left windows ajar
- shantytown had reduced: a lot more RDP housing (I suppose replacing it)

Fear of crime did not seem to affect my hosts unduly. I was interested to note people in general seemed more relaxed than on my last visit ten years previously. I remember moneybelts, people checking over their shoulders all the time etc etc. There also seems more money knocking around the place.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicely put _0v0_

Sort of matches my view except that I could never live there again. I have a family now.

You have kids?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future

I also noted lots of bill stickers advertising abortions: pain-free abortions, cheap abortions, same-day abortions, discreet abortions and so on. I wondered if this was because of rape or other kinds of sexual coercion.

Originally Posted by kiwibok
Nicely put _0v0_

Sort of matches my view except that I could never live there again. I have a family now.

You have kids?
Yes, two daughters. However, that wouldn't stop me moving to CPT if I were offered a job on a decent enough salary.

It is true that being the victim of a nasty crime is a risk in South Africa. I have to compare that to the utter certainty of being the victim of morbid ennui in New Zealand.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _0v0_
I also noted lots of bill stickers advertising abortions: pain-free abortions, cheap abortions, same-day abortions, discreet abortions and so on. I wondered if this was because of rape or other kinds of sexual coercion.
Yes, two daughters. However, that wouldn't stop me moving to CPT if I were offered a job on a decent enough salary.
Two interesting posts there _0v0_ ... I would be thinking about the future and well being of my family and children first, before thinking of myself and taking them to a place where it sounds like the chances of being raped are pretty high (as you highlighted)
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

You talk as if I would be sentencing my daughters to rape.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

You talk as if I would be sentencing my daughters to rape.
Did not say that. You already highlighted rape is a problem in SA.

It just makes no sence to me why someone who already knows this, would take their girls to South Africa where the chances are so much higher.

South Africa struggles with rape 'epidemic'

Police are searching for four suspects accused of raping a student near Pretoria on Thursday.

The incident has attracted little attention in the country, where it's estimated, some 600,000 people are raped each year.

It comes amid a global outcry over the gang-rape and murder of a woman in Delhi, India.
Watch the video. Rape has been normalised in SA. Rape is part of the culture. It is an everyday thing.

A woman in India gets gang raped, Her death caused riots in the streets as the Indian nation unite in disgust, horror & condemnation.

Yet in South Africa 40% of women will be raped in their lifetimes, where is our outrage?

More on Wikipedia: Sexual violence in South Africa

According to the report by the United Nations Office on Crimes and Drugs for the period 1998–2000, South Africa was ranked first for rapes per capita
While women's groups in South Africa estimate that a woman is raped every 26 seconds, the South African police estimates that a woman is raped every 36 seconds
More than 25% of a sample of 1,738 South African men from the KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape Provinces admitted to raping someone when anonymously questioned; of these, nearly half said they had raped more than one person
It is estimated that over 40% of South African women will be raped in their lifetime and that only 1 in 9 rapes are reported.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.