Extended visitors permit

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Pyromaniac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extended visitors permit

Hi all

I am thinking of coming to South Africa to meet up with my boyfriend during a gap year - I know upon entry I get the 90 day visitors permit but I would definitely want to extend my permit so I have the option to stay up to 180 days.

Where would I do this in South Africa? At the home affairs office in Cape Town?

Would the reason: I just want to extend it because "I wish to stay with my boyfriend and his family for longer", suffice?

Secondly, my departure date would be within 90 days of arriving, obviously incase the extension is denied, would home affairs obviously see this? OR would they deny the extension because they would think I would "purposely" miss the returning flight or something like that...?

I know I would have to apply within 30 days of arriving, which I would.

Thanks very much
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extended visitors permit

I'm a permanent resident, so I have no personal experience of this, but no-one else seems to be responding so I'll try.

Home Affairs deal with visas/permits and applications for extensions, so just go to their Cape Town office if that's going to be the easiest for you, but dealing with them is usually frustrating and time consuming. Make sure you keep copies of anything you hand in, and it's a good idea to get these certified by a Commissioner of Oaths. Most of the larger bank branches, or a police station, can do this. I haven't a clue how to motivate the application though, or if this is really necessary, but assume you have to give some reason for the extension. There are immigration agencies who will do all of this for you, but I think they might be expensive. Might be worth finding out?

I don't understand your second question. Why would HA deny your application for an extension, submitted in accordance with the regulations, because they think you might "purposely" miss the returning flight or something like that...?

One more thing. I've seen people suggest that you can just leave SA, go to Mozambique, Botswana or Zim, and return the same evening or the following day and get another 90 day visitor permit. This used to be quite common, up until a few years ago anyway, but I've heard that people are being refused permits when they try to re-enter now. That could get a bit tricky. Just so you know...

Good luck!
Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

yooligan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extended visitors permit

Hi Pyromaniac,

I have exact the same story. When are you leaving? I'll arrive in South Africa mid August. Maybe we can keep each other posted?