Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Expat in SA? Tips and nuggets of info for Brits.

Expat in SA? Tips and nuggets of info for Brits.

Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

smwmcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Expat in SA? Tips and nuggets of info for Brits.

I am compiling a guide to living in South Africa (Western Cape focus) and would love to hear all your anecdotes, funny stories, tips, bits of advice and ANYTHING YOU KNOW NOW THAT YOU WISHED YOU HAD KNOWN WHEN YOU ARRIVED? For example, problems opening a bank account, what to do if you have an accident on the road, which is the best supermarket, where to get great Italian food, bringing money into the country, my electrical appliances don't work in SA, getting to know people...

If you would like a FREE TIP RIGHT NOW.... phoning UK from SA is extortionate with Telkom - if you have an ADSL connection (512kb) you can download a piece of software called SKYPE which allows you to make phone calls using your computer (you basically type in the number and then talk to the microphone on your computer). There is sometimes a slight delay - try later in the day for best results. It costs about 1.5 cents (Euro) per minute! You have to credit your account - use any credit card - the amount is in Euros. Then once you have credit, dial +44 and the UK number. Happy chatting and send me your tips. If I get lots of tips I'll post you another great money-saving tip for people phoning you in SA from the UK
Old Dec 14th 2004, 7:09 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Expat in SA? Tips and nuggets of info for Brits.

I'll give you a good tip.

Don't go to South Africa.

Seriously, why don't you write a tourist guide for avoiding becoming a crime statistic.

Campbell
Old Dec 15th 2004, 5:32 am
Just Joined

smwmcd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells
I'll give you a good tip.

Don't go to South Africa.

Seriously, why don't you write a tourist guide for avoiding becoming a crime statistic.

Campbell
Wondering what on earth you are doing in Jo'burg if you are not happy? Surely life is too short?
Old Dec 15th 2004, 5:42 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smwmcd
Wondering what on earth you are doing in Jo'burg if you are not happy? Surely life is too short?
THis country asa whole USED to be a fantastic place. Now it riddles with crime, gov corruption and the infr strsctrs are falling apart. Most municpls are bankrpt. etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

We ARE busy getting out of here which is a slow process. We are not just backpackers travelling through, we have our routes here, our home, our businesses etc. Like thousands of others we ae throwing in the towel on this sinking ship. If you doubt that please inform me of some well run first world african country.

The facts are:

THIS IS ZIMBOs No2 in the making.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Stuart James will become famous soon enough

Tip 1 - Banking is so overpriced here. If your earning sterling from your employer and can get paid outside of SA do so. Nationwide (UK) allow you to make withdrawals with no charge from ATM's, unlike many of the offshore banks.

Alternatively - find out how much you need to keep in your account with the local banks for free banking. I think ABSA levy no charges if you keep 6,000 rand in your account.

Tip 2 - The drought guiness tastes crap. Buy the cans.

Tip 3 - If using an immigration agent make sure they are licensed - many are just administrators passing your applicaiton on and charging their bit on top.

Tip 4 - get medical aid, iof the state hospitals don't kill you, the price of the private ones will

Tip 5 - I have to agree - avoid telkom at all costs - wireless is in now and much cheaper than ADSL (from Telkom)
Old Dec 27th 2004, 10:00 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smwmcd
If you would like a FREE TIP RIGHT NOW.... phoning UK from SA is extortionate with Telkom - if you have an ADSL connection (512kb) you can download a piece of software called SKYPE which allows you to make phone calls using your computer (you basically type in the number and then talk to the microphone on your computer). There is sometimes a slight delay - try later in the day for best results. It costs about 1.5 cents (Euro) per minute! You have to credit your account - use any credit card - the amount is in Euros.
Don't know why you're paying for it when it's free here in Canada to talk to Europe and vice-versa.