emigrating to South Africa

Old May 11th 2003, 3:35 pm
SMG
Just Joined

SMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emigrating to South Africa

We are planning to emigrate to SA next year - has anyone done this who could offer any advice?

We're familiar with the crime situation having visited many times before, so no need for too much feedback on that side of things.

Our plan is to set up our own B&B on the south coast either on the Garden Route or perhaps nearer Cape Town.

Speak soon!

Stephen
Old May 11th 2003, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: emigrating to South Africa

Originally posted by SMG
We are planning to emigrate to SA next year - has anyone done this who could offer any advice?

We're familiar with the crime situation having visited many times before, so no need for too much feedback on that side of things.

Our plan is to set up our own B&B on the south coast either on the Garden Route or perhaps nearer Cape Town.

Speak soon!

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Hmmm nice part of the world, we lived in Cape Town for about 14 months and had a fantastic time, it's a different way of life, the weather the people etc ... this was however in 1987, we also visited Sun City in Bop, when we tell folk here in the UK about our experiences they have no idea about life, so narrow minded etc,

We travelled from Port Alfred to Outsoorne (can't spell it) then to Cape Town, bloody fantastic !!!

We are now on our way to Australia PR visa's granted, can't wait

Why have you chosen SA (za) ?

P.S. hope your rate goes up to 16 rand a pound again ...
Old May 11th 2003, 10:50 pm
SMG
Just Joined

Hi Scoobydoo

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I too hope the £ returns to the dizzy heights of 16 again, although only for selfish reasons!

We spent our honeymoon firstly in Cape Town, then travelled across the Garden Route (including Oudtshoorn), across to PE, up to Jo'burg then spent 5 days in the Kruger before a week of pure luxury in Mauritius. Having met and spent time with South Africans from all walks of life, we found them friendly, efficient and caring, and the lifestyle really appealed. The climate is wonderful, and we could actually afford to set ourselves up in business there. There is just so much red tape in the UK, neither of us have the inclination to try to work for ourselves in this country.

Your plans for Oz sound great - good luck with those!

Has anyone else out there any experience of emigrating to South Africa that they can let me know about?

Cheers

Stephen
Old May 12th 2003, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SMG
Hi Scoobydoo

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I too hope the £ returns to the dizzy heights of 16 again, although only for selfish reasons!

We spent our honeymoon firstly in Cape Town, then travelled across the Garden Route (including Oudtshoorn), across to PE, up to Jo'burg then spent 5 days in the Kruger before a week of pure luxury in Mauritius. Having met and spent time with South Africans from all walks of life, we found them friendly, efficient and caring, and the lifestyle really appealed. The climate is wonderful, and we could actually afford to set ourselves up in business there. There is just so much red tape in the UK, neither of us have the inclination to try to work for ourselves in this country.

Your plans for Oz sound great - good luck with those!

Has anyone else out there any experience of emigrating to South Africa that they can let me know about?

Cheers

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Cheers, good luck with your plans, yep you're right about the UK,
Old May 13th 2003, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default South Africa.

I saw your post about South Africa.

I lived in Kenya for a while many years ago (1987). I have never been to South Africa, but from mates who have been there plus talking to many South Africans it sems like quite an attractive Immigration option.

Could you offer any advice about the entry requirements, I can't seem to find much on the net and there is no 'points' system that I can find........?

Cheers.
Old May 13th 2003, 7:18 pm
SMG
Just Joined

Hi Paddy

I have simply contacted the South African High Commission in London.

There are a variety of categories under which you can apply and these are detailed in the pack I was sent.

They are:

Worker
To manage or conduct a business
Financially Independent Persons
Fiance(e)
Spouses and dependent children
Life partners
Retired persons
Sponsored persons
Family reunion.

As you might expect, there are a number of constraints, but these are all fully explained.

There is a cost from the outset of around £1000, and you have to attend an interview in person (which in our case will be in London)

I would suggest you contact the S.A. Commission either in Hong Kong, or try calling them in London on 020 7925 8910.

Good luck!

Stephen
Old May 15th 2003, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Stephen

Thanks very much for your input, deeply appreciated!

I am not sure what to do really, I live in Hong Kong and the work here is great! However, the environment has much to be desired and in the long run I would like to leave Asia and head to either Canada, Australia or even maybe South Africa. (Certainly NOT the UK).

All three countries have attractions of course, so could I ask you why you chose South Africa and not say Australia? Just so I can get somebody else's perspective on the place?

I guess at the end of the day I am very lucky, seems the World is full of options.

Cheers.
Old May 29th 2003, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

Hi there,

I just thought I'd offer my "penny's worth".

My husband and I have our PR visas for Australia, but have chosen not to move there due to the distance it is from anywhere. Don't get me wrong, Australia is a great place, but when you're there you do feel completely isolated. We also have the added factor that most of my family is based in the UK and my husband’s family is in South Africa. So trips “home� to visit family would have to be done on an alternate basis and the cost would definitely add up.

Our plan is to one-day move to a warmer climate, South Africa being our first choice basically because my husband is originally from SA and myself from Kenya. We feel the country has more to offer in terms of job opportunities, out door lifestyle, wildlife, scenery and people. Yes there are security issues, but then again there are in every country, you just need to be sensible about where you go and what you do. Since 1998 we’ve travelled back several times and each year we feel more and more positive about SA’s security. We are currently living in the UK and hope to move when the time’s right for us.

Another website I've found quite interesting is: http://www.southafrica.com/

Cheers,
M.

Originally posted by paddythepilot
Stephen

Thanks very much for your input, deeply appreciated!

I am not sure what to do really, I live in Hong Kong and the work here is great! However, the environment has much to be desired and in the long run I would like to leave Asia and head to either Canada, Australia or even maybe South Africa. (Certainly NOT the UK).

All three countries have attractions of course, so could I ask you why you chose South Africa and not say Australia? Just so I can get somebody else's perspective on the place?

I guess at the end of the day I am very lucky, seems the World is full of options.

Cheers.
Old May 29th 2003, 10:24 pm
SMG
Just Joined

Hi M

Great to hear your thoughts on this!

Having never been to Australia, I'm going to have to take what you say as gospel.

We are going out to South Africa to have a real look around in January - getting a feel for the place as somewhere to live and not just somewhere to go on hols.

Last time we spent time in Cape Town, right across to PE and a week or so in Jo'burg and up into the Kruger. As an 'expert' South African, does your husband have any thoughts on which areas of the country may be best for us to look at again - I appreciate we have hardly scratched the surface but your input would be appreciated.

I'm not around much for the next week or so, off to sunnier climate for a rest, but I'll be in touch if you respond!

Thanks

Stephen
Old May 30th 2003, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Bobf is an unknown quantity at this point

HI SMG

I lived in SA for 14 years after emifrating from the UK. I have been out of SA for 10 years now ( in US and UK ) but hope to return this year.

Was back in SA for holidays two years ago and last xmas.

Have you any specific information I may be able to help you with?

Regards

Bobf
Old May 30th 2003, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe you could also help me?

I am also 'toying' with the idea of South Africa along with a few other options (Canada, Oz etc).

I noticed there is a scheme called 'Financially Independant Persons' for South Africa, which means if you have R 1.5 Million you will be considered for an Immigration visa, but you can't work or carry out business without approval.

How far would R1.5 Million take you, I mean would it be sufficient to retire or would you really need to carry on working?

I guess it all depends upon your lifestyle, but let's just say a comfortable life in or close to Cape Town.

My second question is, just how safe is cape Town, could you just walk the down town area at night and be safe?

Any views would be deeply appreciated.
Old May 30th 2003, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi PaddythePilot

Yes there is a scheme for Financially Independent persons. But I believe that this is currently under review and there is talk that the R1.5M could be raised to R25M however there was public and business outcry over the amount so now they are talking about
R12M

Regardless of that I would say that R1.5M woyuld not be enough to live on. Consider:

A good house in Cape Town can be as much as R1M+ that would leave you with 500K which would not be enough to live on for any length of time.

If you rented you would probably be paying approximately R6000 per month so if you invested your R1.5M @ 10% per annum. It would give you R150,000 pa or R12500 per month less R6000 =
R6500 which is not a lot of mney. But as you say this would depend on your lifestyle.

I would advise to to check out some SA property website for rental and selling prices. Also SA Banks for current investment interest rates - Suggest The Standard Bank SA

I was in Cape Town for a holiday two years ago and providing you stick to the main perdestian ( well light ) areas I found it OK
But who can tell in the future.

Hope this helps.

Bobf
Old May 30th 2003, 10:33 pm
SMG
Just Joined

Hi Bob (and Paddy again!)

I've really enjoyed reading the bits and pieces already posted - although the raising of the fin dep pers bit worries me - just about anyone who owns property in the UK could probably apply for permanent residency under this banner just because of house prices here.

We are hoping to sell up in England after gaining residency, apply for permission to run a B&B or guesthouse, move to SA and either buy an existing business, set up our own or even build our own place and set up as a B&B.

Whilst we have not travelled in SA other than CT, garden route, Jo'burg and Kruger (the touristy bits) we are really drawn to CT or the area around Knysna. The lifestyle, climate and people almost seem perfect Our existing careers mean we seem to spend so little time together - the idea of running our own business is great, but is never something we would do in the UK - red tape etc.

As for the safety side of things, the difference between Jo'burg and CT was dramatic - attitudes towards almost everything are a million miles apart. We experienced no problems whatsoever throughout SA - in fact it was to the contrary - everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly.

Back to your original Q Bob - I guess it's insider info we're looking for - are there areas that you think would be particulary good for us to consider looking at? What pitfalls may we come across? In your experience, are people wanting to set up in business welcomed or is it difficult to do etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

I will be away from the PC for a week, so I'll apologise now for not acknowledging any future response for a while! Off to somewhere warm!

Stephen
Old May 31st 2003, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Stephen

If you want to start a B&B IMO the most logical area would be by the coast, and if you are looking to attract overseas visitors it must be by an airport. Therfore the most logical area again IMO would be Cape Town and the surrounding area.

For a property in this area, at the size you would want would probably cost R2M - R3M. Which is approximately £300,000. You will also need capital for conversion, setting-up and a period when you will not have bookings. So let's say you will need £400,000.

If you can manage that then you are halfway there.

Your next hurdle is the actual emigration process. I understand that all permenant residence applications are being delayed ubtil the mess about investment has been sorted ( as may last posting )

Also consider that permanent residence applications ( without an offer of employment ) can take up to three years to process.

So have you considered residence through a business investment? This, once again, is also complicated and your application needs a through business plan, you must employ a minimum number of SA citizens and your application is reviewed to see if you have achieved your plan after 12 months.

Your could visit SA and once there apply for temporary residence which must be re-newed, if my memmory serves me right, evey three years. During this time you could set-up you business and once established, apply for full permenent residence.

As you can see what everway you choose you will have to be very carefull.

Finally, Yes SA is trying to encourage investment however it still has a lot of red-tape which must be negotiated and until they sort this out, which I believe they are trying to do, you will have to consider your options very carefully.

Hope this helps. If I can help any more just post a reply.

Regards

Bobf
Old May 31st 2003, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Stephen

Just read this:

Financially independent person. Applicants must have a minimum of R1,500,000 capital/investment in South Africa, are expected to maintain themselves on the income by that investment and refrain from engaging in employment or establishing an own business for three years, without obtaining prior consent from the Department of Home Affairs.

May be worth checking.

Bobf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.