Dentist

Old May 11th 2014, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dentist

My friend had a lower wisdom tooth out in January and was charged R100 including X-Ray, and follow up appointment.

One of my rear wisdom teeth was causing me pain in May so my friend arranged an appointment for me, had the X-Ray, local anesthetic, cut the gum, cut the jaw and took the tooth out.
He asked if I was from the UK.
He charged me R1550, I don't care about the higher charge as I am just pleased to get it out.

When I went to pay, my friend asked why he charged me more, he got angry and strormed off. Shame really because I want the other one out but don't fancy going back to him as he might hurt me

Can anyone recommend a Dentist that is used to wisdom tooth extractions?
I don't mind if he/she charges more, it's the end result that is more important to me.

On another note, I don't enjoy driving here as I get tail gated a lot and people seem to drive so recklessly.

I use a Sat Nav when I drive as this gives me the speed limits and I try to stick to them. I got pulled over and the female police officer told me I was speeding, she told me the fine was R350 and asked to see my licence, I showed her my IDP, she then asked to see my Traffic register number (thanks to Ed I applied for one and got it). I gave her the TRN and she was shocked, she asked how long it took me to get it, I said 2 weeks and she said it normally takes many months. She was disappointed that I had it.
I had insurance but she were not interested in that.

She asked for the R350, I said I was not speeding and am willing to go to court, please give me the ticket. She said they have left the book at the station but will accept cash. I showed her my cash and said you are not getting a cent of it. She left in a huff.
Obviously after the event I thought of all the things I should have done but it caught me by surprise.
Old May 11th 2014, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice
Default Re: Dentist

should have asked her if she could take your tooth out
Old May 11th 2014, 2:23 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukguy
My friend had a lower wisdom tooth out in January and was charged R100 including X-Ray, and follow up appointment.

One of my rear wisdom teeth was causing me pain in May so my friend arranged an appointment for me, had the X-Ray, local anesthetic, cut the gum, cut the jaw and took the tooth out.
He asked if I was from the UK.
He charged me R1550, I don't care about the higher charge as I am just pleased to get it out.

When I went to pay, my friend asked why he charged me more, he got angry and strormed off. Shame really because I want the other one out but don't fancy going back to him as he might hurt me

Can anyone recommend a Dentist that is used to wisdom tooth extractions?
I don't mind if he/she charges more, it's the end result that is more important to me.

On another note, I don't enjoy driving here as I get tail gated a lot and people seem to drive so recklessly.

I use a Sat Nav when I drive as this gives me the speed limits and I try to stick to them. I got pulled over and the female police officer told me I was speeding, she told me the fine was R350 and asked to see my licence, I showed her my IDP, she then asked to see my Traffic register number (thanks to Ed I applied for one and got it). I gave her the TRN and she was shocked, she asked how long it took me to get it, I said 2 weeks and she said it normally takes many months. She was disappointed that I had it.
I had insurance but she were not interested in that.

She asked for the R350, I said I was not speeding and am willing to go to court, please give me the ticket. She said they have left the book at the station but will accept cash. I showed her my cash and said you are not getting a cent of it. She left in a huff.
Obviously after the event I thought of all the things I should have done but it caught me by surprise.
Welcome to South Africa

I'm afraid your experience of driving (which is like Whacky Races at the best of times) is very common. I'm more worried about my OH and kids being injured in a car crash than by a criminal. And the police are as guilty as anyone in letting it happen. Hiding round corners and behind bushes doesn't stop taxis driving in yellow lanes or people jumping red lights - or using a roundabout as a stop (how hard is it to use a ****ing roundabout?)

You don't need insurance to drive here - it's not a legal requirement.

Well done for telling her to jog on - don't let them bully you - 99 times out of 100 they are looking for bribes and if you stand up and make them write you a ticket they won't bother.

As for a dentist - well, that depends where you live. Your friend could have been on medical aid and that was the excess. R100 for a wisdom tooth sounds amazingly cheap. I would expect this to cost well over R2000 - let me know where you live and I will ask around for you.

Cheers.
Old May 11th 2014, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

ukguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry that was a typo. My friend does have medical insurance but her regular dentist does not extract wisdom teeth, so he recommended a dentist that does, he charged her R1000 and this was not covered by her medical insurance.
The nurse phoned her a couple of days after to see if she was OK and the dentist called her back to look and see how she had recovered, this was all included in the price.

I did not get a call from the nurse or a follow up appointment, nothing.
I assume this is because he was angry about my friend questioning my special price
She gets angry when people charge me more because I am a foreigner.

To be honest I don't want to go back to him to have the other one taken out as he might hurt me on purpose for revenge

Even R1550 does seem cheap and I am prepared to pay 2 or 3 times that amount for a competent, experienced Dentist.

As you know I was in Douglasdale but I am in Hartbeespoort Dam now, pothole city, terrible roads. I washed the car this morning and noticed a slit in my relatively new tyre which was caused by me driving in a pothole while being tail gated.

I don't mind driving to see a good Dentist. It seems many do not perform lower jaw wisdom tooth extraction.
Old May 11th 2014, 3:51 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent you a PM with a couple of suggestions. I have used both - recommend them equally. Good luck!!