Cape Town Holiday

Old May 25th 2016, 4:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Cape Town Holiday

Morning all,

I'm heading down to Cape Town with the mrs in August this year. Looking forward to a reprieve from the Middle Eastern summer.

We've done some research on things to see, things to do but some insider info is always appreciated.

Any must do / see things in Cape Town or the surrounding?

I'm hoping to get some serious time spent in the wineries. Any recommendations? Is Ernie's place good?

Also - hotels / car hire suggestions are useful too.

We're heading down for 8-10 days and I was thinking something like 5ish in Cape Town, then 5ish wine region and exploring further afield?

Thanks in advance,
Scamp
Old May 25th 2016, 9:03 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cape Town Holiday

Suggest you pist this on tripadvisor, more holiday related stuff there.
Old May 29th 2016, 6:53 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Scamp. Cape Town is ace. A few suggestions:

Table Mountain is a must. Go the first day there's no cloud. You may not get another chance. The cable car is pretty cool - but you can walk up it if you're mental.

Golf - lots of courses and all are pretty good. You can hire clubs and get a caddy, all if for less than £50. Let me know and I'll suggest some courses.

Stellenbosch for the wine lands - I don't think you'll need more than 3 days unless you're planning on staying on a wine farm, but - and trust me on this - get a driver. Everywhere you go they have tasting and you get wankered in minutes. It's bloody ace. Spier, Backsberg, kanonkop (the kadette is the best red in the world), all are pretty decent and most have good places to stay and eat. Check them out here: Stellenbosch Wine Route | South Africa

Robben Island - somewhere to tick off - the tour is pretty good, it's a nice little boat ride out and you get the obligatory photo of you standing next to Mandela's cell looking thoughtful and suitably awed. You can't go into it anymore, just stand outside imaging you were one of his guards.

Boulder's bay if you like penguins? Simonstown, Fishoek - couple of small towns which are quite interesting and have great places to eat

V&A waterfront is the heart of everything in CT. Shops / bars / restaurants etc. a bit like Covent Garden, but less expensive, with better views and less wankers.

Cape Point is a big nature park with nice views and a good walk, but Cape Aghulus is Africa's most southerly point - although it's a long old drive and one of those trips that you take 90 minutes doing for a 5 minute walk on the beach with obligatory photo of you looking mildly underwhelmed in front of a sign saying "Africa's most Southerly point". Unless you're ticking geographical landmarks off some kind of bucket list, I wouldn't waste my time.

Long Street in CT itself is the main bar / nightspot area but although pretty safe you'll get pestered for drugs and hookers. (People will be selling, not buying).

Hope this helps mate, shout if you need anything else. Have fun.

Last edited by ededed; May 29th 2016 at 6:55 am.
Old May 30th 2016, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by ededed
Hey Scamp. Cape Town is ace. A few suggestions:

Table Mountain is a must. Go the first day there's no cloud. You may not get another chance. The cable car is pretty cool - but you can walk up it if you're mental.

Golf - lots of courses and all are pretty good. You can hire clubs and get a caddy, all if for less than £50. Let me know and I'll suggest some courses.

Stellenbosch for the wine lands - I don't think you'll need more than 3 days unless you're planning on staying on a wine farm, but - and trust me on this - get a driver. Everywhere you go they have tasting and you get wankered in minutes. It's bloody ace. Spier, Backsberg, kanonkop (the kadette is the best red in the world), all are pretty decent and most have good places to stay and eat. Check them out here: Stellenbosch Wine Route | South Africa

Robben Island - somewhere to tick off - the tour is pretty good, it's a nice little boat ride out and you get the obligatory photo of you standing next to Mandela's cell looking thoughtful and suitably awed. You can't go into it anymore, just stand outside imaging you were one of his guards.

Boulder's bay if you like penguins? Simonstown, Fishoek - couple of small towns which are quite interesting and have great places to eat

V&A waterfront is the heart of everything in CT. Shops / bars / restaurants etc. a bit like Covent Garden, but less expensive, with better views and less wankers.

Cape Point is a big nature park with nice views and a good walk, but Cape Aghulus is Africa's most southerly point - although it's a long old drive and one of those trips that you take 90 minutes doing for a 5 minute walk on the beach with obligatory photo of you looking mildly underwhelmed in front of a sign saying "Africa's most Southerly point". Unless you're ticking geographical landmarks off some kind of bucket list, I wouldn't waste my time.

Long Street in CT itself is the main bar / nightspot area but although pretty safe you'll get pestered for drugs and hookers. (People will be selling, not buying).

Hope this helps mate, shout if you need anything else. Have fun.
Thanks mate.
Really appreciate it.