Can Rental in j,berg

Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

AtherSaeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Rental in j,berg

Can anyone please guide me how much does it cost to rent a car on a monthly basis in J'berg?
Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:49 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Rental in j,berg

Originally Posted by AtherSaeed
Can anyone please guide me how much does it cost to rent a car on a monthly basis in J'berg?
Avis do a longer term lease if that's what you are looking for - it depends obviously on the size and model. Expect to pay R5k for a small Fiesta sized car, and anything from R8-10k for a mid-sized BMW / Audi.

Be careful as you are normally capped on kms - and given that it is the only way to get around you ramp up miles quickly. I've done 60,000kms in 15 months.

There are other budget companies that will rent you a cheaper, older car, but getting stuck in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be my idea of a fun night out.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ededed
Avis do a longer term lease if that's what you are looking for - it depends obviously on the size and model. Expect to pay R5k for a small Fiesta sized car, and anything from R8-10k for a mid-sized BMW / Audi.

Be careful as you are normally capped on kms - and given that it is the only way to get around you ramp up miles quickly. I've done 60,000kms in 15 months.

There are other budget companies that will rent you a cheaper, older car, but getting stuck in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be my idea of a fun night out.
Hi,

Thanks for such a quick response. Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for. In your opinion is doing a long term lease beneficial or buying a car? I have a medium budget but would like to opt for a car that I can use for long distance travelling.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:07 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for such a quick response. Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for. In your opinion is doing a long term lease beneficial or buying a car? I have a medium budget but would like to opt for a car that I can use for long distance travelling.
A long term lease can be better as cars here are generally overpriced, and you will never get your money back anyway - but the mileage could be a problem and the penalties are steep for exceeding the limit (usually only 10,000kms a year, and then R5 per km over that).

There are a few cars that are better value than others - Toyota are reasonably priced and hold their value if you are considering buying - but avoid German luxury imports as you'll see your arse when you come to sell it. Most manufacturers are well represented, with VW being built here and being good value too. Let me know if you have a specific car in mind and I'll let you know the pros and cons over here.

If you are doing long distances, a 4x4 may be needed as the roads are poor and if you stray from the motorways you can end up in a field.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

A long term lease can be better as cars here are generally overpriced, and you will never get your money back anyway - but the mileage could be a problem and the penalties are steep for exceeding the limit (usually only 10,000kms a year, and then R5 per km over that).

There are a few cars that are better value than others - Toyota are reasonably priced and hold their value if you are considering buying - but avoid German luxury imports as you'll see your arse when you come to sell it. Most manufacturers are well represented, with VW being built here and being good value too. Let me know if you have a specific car in mind and I'll let you know the pros and cons over here.

If you are doing long distances, a 4x4 may be needed as the roads are poor and if you stray from the motorways you can end up in a field.
Great advice. Thanks.
I am looking for a toyota corolla. As you suggested, I would stick to minilease. So, how much would it cost me a month to rent a corolla if I go for a more than 6 month lease ?
This mileage thing is very tricky, cuz I heard distances are long in J'berg. And since it will be my first time in SA, I would want to travel around and would like to use my car for that.
What do you suggest?
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:21 am

Great advice. Thanks.
I am looking for a toyota corolla. As you suggested, I would stick to minilease. So, how much would it cost me a month to rent a corolla if I go for a more than 6 month lease ?
This mileage thing is very tricky, cuz I heard distances are long in J'berg. And since it will be my first time in SA, I would want to travel around and would like to use my car for that.
What do you suggest?
On the basis you are doing high mileage, I'd buy. Auto Trader South Africa - Used Cars for sale will give you a good steer on what your money will buy you - for example:

2013 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.3 IMPACT R 108,900 for sale | Auto Trader

Or | Avis Car Sales

We run at around 10% interest rates here but you will need a deposit to get finance, and if you aren't a resident you may need quite a big one to secure a car loan. For finance quotes, go to https://www.wesbank.co.za/wesbankcoz...epayment.xhtml

Don't forget insurance, fuel, bribes and an IDP.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

On the basis you are doing high mileage, I'd buy. Auto Trader South Africa - Used Cars for sale will give you a good steer on what your money will buy you - for example:

2013 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.3 IMPACT R 108,900 for sale | Auto Trader

Or | Avis Car Sales

We run at around 10% interest rates here but you will need a deposit to get finance, and if you aren't a resident you may need quite a big one to secure a car loan. For finance quotes, go to https://www.wesbank.co.za/wesbankcoz...epayment.xhtml

Don't forget insurance, fuel, bribes and an IDP.

hmm ...this all look tricky and expensive. Still confused
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:45 am

Cars aren't cheap here. There's no avoiding the fact.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

What do you want to know? Between us, we'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MartynK
What do you want to know? Between us, we'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Hi,

I have a limited budget of around 600-700 usd a month for transportation. I am wondering if its feasible to have a mini lease of 11 months or buy a slightly used car. I am planning on staying for at least a year. I would want to have a car in which I can travel all over SA.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Joburg is a big city, and it's spread out over a large area. Your biggest problem in getting around is going to be the shocking traffic congestion, but it's quite easy to run up a lot of kms too. Travelling 'all over SA' is going involve some serious mileage. For example, Jhb - Kruger Park: 450 kms, Jhb - Durban: 600 kms, Jhb - Port Elizabeth: 1,070 kms, Jhb- Cape Town: 1,400 kms. These are approximate distances, and there are some variables. Check here if you want to work out travel logistics for yourself South Africa Distance Chart.

The main rental agencies are Avis, Budget, Europcar and Tempest. They're pretty well represented everywhere, and there are others too, but be careful about any offers that seem too cheap. I agree with Ed, a small car will probably be around R6,000/month and a medium size vehicle about R7500 - 8,500, but all these companies have websites and it's easy to check their rates for the dates you have in mind, and/or mail your enquiry to them. Some of them do offer leases, but I don't know the details and you'll have to ask. They might give you a discount for a long term rental, but I think it's more likely to be a month to month agreement with automatic renewal. The main benefit of hiring, from your point of view, is that it's straightforward. One monthly payment covers the car and insurance, you don't have to worry about maintenance/breakdowns, you can just return it when you leave, and your visitor status won't be a problem. Just make sure you check any hire/lease agreement for mileage restrictions, the surcharges for exceeding them can be expensive.

Buying a car, and selling it before you leave, might be worth thinking about. The main banks are FNB, Nedbank, ABSA and Standard; and they all offer vehicle finance. I doubt if there's much to choose between them, and they all have websites with contact details. Many motor dealers can arrange financing for you too, but it'll normally be with one of these institutions on much the same terms. I'd get in touch with the banks and make some preliminary enquiries if you're interested in doing this, because it won't be as straightforward as renting. As a visitor, you will have to pass a credit check (which includes a declaration and proof of your income, monthly commitments and a few other things) just like everyone else, and you'll probably be expected to put down a much larger deposit than a local.

Your budget is approximately R7,500/month, but is this just for rental/hire purchase payments, or does it have to cover fuel, maintenance, insurance and tolls etc? That's going to make a big difference to affordability. Cars are expensive in SA, and high interest rates and running costs come into this too.

If I were in your situation, I think I'd just arrange to rent a small car for the first month or so in advance, and sort out your longer term plans when you get here. That's going to be a lot easier. Good luck!

Last edited by MartynK; Jul 16th 2014 at 8:37 am.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MartynK
OK. Joburg is a big city, and it's spread out over a large area. Your biggest problem in getting around is going to be the shocking traffic congestion, but it's quite easy to run up a lot of kms too. Travelling 'all over SA' is going involve some serious mileage. For example, Jhb - Kruger Park: 450 kms, Jhb - Durban: 600 kms, Jhb - Port Elizabeth: 1,070 kms, Jhb- Cape Town: 1,400 kms. These are approximate distances, and there are some variables. Check here if you want to work out travel logistics for yourself South Africa Distance Chart.

The main rental agencies are Avis, Budget, Europcar and Tempest. They're pretty well represented everywhere, and there are others too, but be careful about any offers that seem too cheap. I agree with Ed, a small car will probably be around R6,000/month and a medium size vehicle about R7500 - 8,500, but all these companies have websites and it's easy to check their rates for the dates you have in mind, and/or mail your enquiry to them. Some of them do offer leases, but I don't know the details and you'll have to ask. They might give you a discount for a long term rental, but I think it's more likely to be a month to month agreement with automatic renewal. The main benefit of hiring, from your point of view, is that it's straightforward. One monthly payment covers the car and insurance, you don't have to worry about maintenance/breakdowns, you can just return it when you leave, and your visitor status won't be a problem. Just make sure you check any hire/lease agreement for mileage restrictions, the surcharges for exceeding them can be expensive.

Buying a car, and selling it before you leave, might be worth thinking about. The main banks are FNB, Nedbank, ABSA and Standard; and they all offer vehicle finance. I doubt if there's much to choose between them, and they all have websites with contact details. Many motor dealers can arrange financing for you too, but it'll normally be with one of these institutions on much the same terms. I'd get in touch with the banks and make some preliminary enquiries if you're interested in doing this, because it won't be as straightforward as renting. As a visitor, you will have to pass a credit check (which includes a declaration and proof of your income, monthly commitments and a few other things) just like everyone else, and you'll probably be expected to put down a much larger deposit than a local.

Your budget is approximately R7,500/month, but is this just for rental/hire purchase payments, or does it have to cover fuel, maintenance, insurance and tolls etc? That's going to make a big difference to affordability. Cars are expensive in SA, and high interest rates and running costs come into this too.

If I were in your situation, I think I'd just arrange to rent a small car for the first month or so in advance, and sort out your longer term plans when you get here. That's going to be a lot easier. Good luck!

Hi,

Many many thanks for such a detailed response and apologies for getting back to you on this so late. I am still figuring out my budgets.
Just wondering if you could help me with the salary income tax structure and how it works in SA.
I have just been informed by my organization that if you break the salary in two parts (work allowance and accommodation allowance) then you accommodation allowance will be exempt from the tax. Is it so?

On the vehicle rental thing, my budget is 800 usd (ideally including fuel) But I am looking for a corolla sedan type car. I asked for a quote from Avis and they sent me one. It suggests I will be allowed to drive upto 3000kms a month, which i believe is a good number. What do you suggest?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

Many many thanks for such a detailed response and apologies for getting back to you on this so late. I am still figuring out my budgets.
Just wondering if you could help me with the salary income tax structure and how it works in SA.
I have just been informed by my organization that if you break the salary in two parts (work allowance and accommodation allowance) then you accommodation allowance will be exempt from the tax. Is it so?
I'm not a tax expert, but I doubt it. Most of the tax avoidance loopholes were closed donkey's years ago, and the various perks/allowances are now subject to fringe benefits tax. As far as SARS (SA Revenue Service) are concerned, it's your responsibility to comply with the law, and I'd strongly recommend that you get in touch with get an SA tax consultant or accountant before you make any decisions about structuring your package etc.

On the vehicle rental thing, my budget is 800 usd (ideally including fuel) But I am looking for a corolla sedan type car. I asked for a quote from Avis and they sent me one. It suggests I will be allowed to drive upto 3000kms a month, which i believe is a good number. What do you suggest?
3000 kms/month is about 100 kms/day. That should be enough for commuting around Joburg and some weekend mileage, but it's not particularly generous. The last rental I had on a monthly agreement gave me 200 kms/day, but it all depends on your personal situation and expectations. It certainly won't be enough for touring around the country. You might be better to find a cheap flight and rent a car at your destination for this sort of thing.

Toyota have a good reputation in SA, and the Corolla is popular, so no problems there. There are several models/engines available and I haven't a clue about their respective fuel consumptions, so you'll have to work out the running costs for yourself. South Africans express fuel consumption as litres/100 km, and you can get the figures from the AA, manufacturers' websites and reviews, or just ask the rental company. There are some variables, but just use the combined (urban and extra urban) figures. Petrol is about ZAR 14/litre and diesel is around ZAR 13/litre, estimate your monthly mileage and calculate the approximate cost from that.

You will also have to factor in costs for the toll roads. I'm not talking about the Sanral scam in Joburg, but the toll fees on the national roads between the major towns and cities.

Last point. I'd suggest taking a local defensive driving and hijack awareness course when you arrive. Many South Africans are, well, a bit cavalier about complying with irritations like traffic legislation, law enforcement is hopelessly corrupt/incompetent, and the hijack threat is real.

Just ask if there's anything else you want to know?