Boarding Schools

Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

formuladude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boarding Schools

I found this site on Google where ForeignGal was talking 5 years ago about sending her kids to a boarding school in South Africa. Before that, I was also researching about it and South Africa seems to be a good place for this type of education. Anyone here know about her? Did she send her boys to South Africa?

Or anyone else with the same experience would like to share how thing worked out?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 1:49 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boarding Schools

Nope, no idea about her or personal experiences with boarding schools. I know there are some very good ones - Michaelhouse, Grey College, KES, etc are all locally considered excellent - but they will be dual medium (so Afrikaans as a first / second language) and it's a very cliquey environment. The old school network is still strong - an a South African education will help if you live and work in South Africa, not sure how transferrable it is.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you ededed.

From my research I saw that most of those boarding schools have English as main language. Second language is Afrikans, mandatory for South-Africans, but foreigners can opt for French or other language.

Hilton College seems great but I found schools in Grahamstown also very interesting because of the city and co-education. Kingswood College is co-educational while St. Andrews is linked with Diocesan Girls School.

Do you know this city, Grahamstown? I've been researching for houses and it seems that security complexes are not usual there. Is it true?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Grahamstown is in the Eastern Cape. It's not a very large town, and it's donkey's years since I've been there, but my daughter has attended science conferences at Rhodes University and loves the place. It also hosts an annual National Arts Festival which is very popular.

I haven’t a clue about gated communities in Grahamstown but you could get in touch with local estate agents. Try http://www.pamgolding.co.za/real-est...ampaign=places, http://www.sothebysrealty.co.za/prop...1-cGRAHAMSTOWN and http://www.remax.co.za/Property-in-G...-Eastern-Cape/. I have no connection with any of them and took the links from the internet, but they're all well known SA agents with offices countrywide. I'm sure they could advise.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks MartinK. I have to say I'm impressed with no bars on windows and short fences outside a complex. It seems to be a great place.