Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Applying for a student, possibly a work visa

Applying for a student, possibly a work visa

Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

keepyourpeace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a student, possibly a work visa

Hi, Im interested in moving to South Africa in a couple of years time. Currently I have a view to do a postgraduates course over there (as am currently at uni!) or go into employment if im that lucky!
Have a problem however- have a reprimand (got it when I was 17) for posession of cannabis and this was two years ago now. Spoke to the police certficate people and they said if I were to apply now it would be likely to come up on my certificate because its in the past 5 years but when i get round to applying Ill be 21/22, so four to five years would of passed.
I havnt been in trouble with the police since and dont plan to in the future either!
Can anyone give me an indication as to the view of those whod grant a visa on such misdemenour?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Jewlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for a student, possibly a work visa

Hi

I'm thinking of doing a post grad in UCT Cape Town, I'm still in uni as well (2nd yr). Where abouts in S.Africa were you thinking of? Sorry I can't help you in the visa situation as I havn't even thought of that yet.. maybe post a thread in a more general student visa forum?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:44 am
Just Joined

keepyourpeace is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi-
no worries, theres a thread posted by someone who actually is in a similar position to me so am going to contact that user and see if they got their visa (was a spousal visa, but itd give some indication!)
Im thinking of postgrad in Cape Town too, although possibly thinking of just working out there if I can, love the country!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Jewlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah okay good luck then! Yeah Cape Town looks amazing the weather is a real pull... but I've never even been to S.Africa so I still have to make my mind up!