Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

2 questions re: shipping container to SA

2 questions re: shipping container to SA

Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:56 am
Just Joined

pollyemma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 questions re: shipping container to SA

hello, we've just arrived in SA and are awaiting our container. I have 2 questions I was hoping you could help me with.

1. We ended up shipping less volume than was stated in our original quotation. Are we entitled to a partial refund?

2. The local agent sent us forms DA304 and p1.160. He says we need to get them verified at a customs office in person. This came as a surprise bc we don't live near any customs offices. Is there a way for them to do that for us?
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 questions re: shipping container to SA

Hi Pollyemma. It's 30 years since we did this, and I really haven't a clue, but no-one else seems to be trying to answer you. Your question about a refund should be covered by the shipping contract, otherwise mail the company you dealt with? Ask the local agents about customs clearance. I think it's their responsibility to arrange this, but there are plenty of local customs offices if you need to get involved. Check here: http://www.sars.gov.za/Contact/Pages/Customs.aspx.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 8:15 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

1. No - I'd be amazed if your contract allowed this. It's normally cost based on volume of space you buy. If you don't fill the space you bought, then that's your issue, not theirs.

2. As Martyn says, normally you pay for door-to-door. If so, this should include all customs clearance. We certainly didn't have to do this, so check with the company that shipped and ask them to follow up on your behalf. You can normally get stuff notarized at a police station and then courier to the port of entry / broker if you need to complete forms. The police usually do this for free.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Yip. As Ed said, SAPS officers will sign and stamp documents in their capacity as a Commissioner of Oaths. If you don't want to deal with them - which can be a challenge - most large bank branches have a Commissioner of Oaths on staff. The service is normally free, if you're a customer.