British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   South Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/south-africa-171/)
-   -   1small step away from confirming move to SA! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/south-africa-171/1small-step-away-confirming-move-sa-759640/)

UK_TV_CPT May 26th 2012 7:37 pm

1small step away from confirming move to SA!

Hi all,

I thought I would start a new thread as things are moving from the thinking of, to pretty much certain!

I landed back in London after a 3 day visit to Capetown to visit a perspective employer. A 1 year contract job offer is expected this week from them, with permitant employment on the cards after!

Looking at a move date of early August for job start straight away.

I've prepared all necessary paperwork for the spousal visa, just need the offer in writing to add to it to get temp residency inc work permit.

We've got a cat (already with passport and bloods away being tested for rabies immunisation) who will go direct on our flight.

We're shipping selected hardwood furniture from living room and selling everything else in 2 bed flat to go towards 1 bed setup out there...

I'd love to discuss the ins and outs of this but not interested in negative comments about the decision to move ( throwing it out there as there are send axes around waiting to have a grind!!)

Visited hospital and OBGYN yesterday so I know the birthing details and private costs...

Exciting times!

Cheers.:thumbup:

Alfresco May 26th 2012 8:24 pm

Re: 1small step away from confirming move to SA!

All the best your move to the Cape. Hope you have a wonderful time there. There's lots to see and do and lots of lovely wine to enjoy. :thumbup:

Tegwyn May 28th 2012 2:42 am

Originally Posted by UK_TV_US (Post 10083662)
Hi all,

I thought I would start a new thread as things are moving from the thinking of, to pretty much certain!

I landed back in London after a 3 day visit to Capetown to visit a perspective employer. A 1 year contract job offer is expected this week from them, with permitant employment on the cards after!

Looking at a move date of early August for job start straight away.

I've prepared all necessary paperwork for the spousal visa, just need the offer in writing to add to it to get temp residency inc work permit.

We've got a cat (already with passport and bloods away being tested for rabies immunisation) who will go direct on our flight.

We're shipping selected hardwood furniture from living room and selling everything else in 2 bed flat to go towards 1 bed setup out there...

I'd love to discuss the ins and outs of this but not interested in negative comments about the decision to move ( throwing it out there as there are send axes around waiting to have a grind!!)

Visited hospital and OBGYN yesterday so I know the birthing details and private costs...

Exciting times!

Cheers.:thumbup:

No one wants to send you axes. If anything we would want you to be healthy, happy and safe. You understand the risks and rewards and as such go ahead with very best wishes for all you hope for. PS. Always have enormous respect for people that takes their pets with them. Wish more folk were that caring.

UK_TV_CPT May 28th 2012 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Tegwyn (Post 10085658)
No one wants to send you axes. If anything we would want you to be healthy, happy and safe. You understand the risks and rewards and as such go ahead with very best wishes for all you hope for. PS. Always have enormous respect for people that takes their pets with them. Wish more folk were that caring.

That was a typo, I meant to say *some axes.. anyway:D

The Cat is a pedigree Persian house cat who could never be left behind! Its a bonus going in August as he wont be stepping out to 40 degree heat straight away. One issue is the heat may cause him problems so a full trim may be in order later in the year... Cost if shipping isn't too bad either! with all jabs, cage and paperwork its all going to come in under £1000 (i was told to expect much more than that!)

ededed May 31st 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by UK_TV_US (Post 10085844)
That was a typo, I meant to say *some axes.. anyway:D

The Cat is a pedigree Persian house cat who could never be left behind! Its a bonus going in August as he wont be stepping out to 40 degree heat straight away. One issue is the heat may cause him problems so a full trim may be in order later in the year... Cost if shipping isn't too bad either! with all jabs, cage and paperwork its all going to come in under £1000 (i was told to expect much more than that!)

We bought our cat and dog from the UK - best advice we were given was to make sure they fly on a Friday night for a Saturday AM arrival. Customs are dead quiet, no real immigration for pets and you can sail right through - make sure you take your passport and a certified copy with all your visas and paperwork, cosy up to the vet on duty and take a 6 pack of coke.

We were at the airport for 5 minutes - walked out with the pets, no problem.

The dog and cat went in boxes that were joined together with a divider. They hated each other before the flight - since then have been inseperable. Something went on during that flight - I'm convinced of it :D

UK_TV_CPT May 31st 2012 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 10092467)
We bought our cat and dog from the UK - best advice we were given was to make sure they fly on a Friday night for a Saturday AM arrival. Customs are dead quiet, no real immigration for pets and you can sail right through - make sure you take your passport and a certified copy with all your visas and paperwork, cosy up to the vet on duty and take a 6 pack of coke.

We were at the airport for 5 minutes - walked out with the pets, no problem.

The dog and cat went in boxes that were joined together with a divider. They hated each other before the flight - since then have been inseperable. Something went on during that flight - I'm convinced of it :D

great bonding for them then! I think our cat is going to need a sedative or 3, he's a house cat and is scared of his own tail!!:rofl:

LA2JHB Jun 6th 2012 10:30 pm

Go for it! I moved to the UK in Sept from Pretoria and am seriously regretting it. Yes SA has massive problems but you are moving to a fantastic city. (I have to say that my wife is from there!)

UK_TV_CPT Jun 7th 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by LA2JHB (Post 10104591)
Go for it! I moved to the UK in Sept from Pretoria and am seriously regretting it. Yes SA has massive problems but you are moving to a fantastic city. (I have to say that my wife is from there!)

Cheers!:thumbup:

So, We're now all go!

I've just received a signed contract for a senior position in my field, allowing us to start putting things in motion!

Its alot to think about, overwhelming to think about it all at once!

I'll do alot of searching here, but hopefully new up to date experience in this thread will be welcome?!

To Start, there is a new policy in place re: pets / cat with a pet passport. As long as its been chipped, vaccinated for Rabies and blood tested to confirm Rabies immunisation, the cat can return to the UK from anywhere in the world with no quarantine. This is new as of January this year. Only a pre-return healthcheck required for return acceptance!

I have a Spouse Visa app on Document BI84 Form 11, which has been accepted in principle, and now can be submitted with contract. I went to South Africa House last week and confirmed all papers (excluding employment contract) were in order, to then make sure my application would be accepted this coming Monday where I rock up with everything in hand!

This will give me 24 Months Temp residency with permit to work for the specified company. This is a permanent contract, I'm unsure if they would accept a limited term contract, I guess as the visa is based on marriage alone, they would, then just reapply for change of emplyment within SA (as talked about in other threads).

Move date to be middle of August, Start Work Sep 1st.

Now for the fun to start :eek:

UK_TV_CPT Jun 13th 2012 12:32 pm

Little update.

With original "abridged" marriage certificate & signed employment contract for Cape Town based job, my application has been accepted by SA house, London and have a pick up date 2 weeks from application!

Not what I was expecting as I thought 30 days + some sitting around procrastinating on their part...

UK_TV_CPT Jun 26th 2012 7:40 am

Update for current waiting time in London.

Yesterday I picked up my Visa.

It is a visitors visa with terms stating 24 months to join wife (name and ID) to undertake work in x position at x company.

It took 2 weeks and was there waiting on the day they said it would be.

Now for the fun of downsizing!:blink:

ededed Jun 26th 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by UK_TV_CPT (Post 10139367)
Update for current waiting time in London.

Yesterday I picked up my Visa.

It is a visitors visa with terms stating 24 months to join wife (name and ID) to undertake work in x position at x company.

It took 2 weeks and was there waiting on the day they said it would be.

Now for the fun of downsizing!:blink:

Congrats - sounds like you have had some luck there, well done! Bloody cold in Joburg - CT is not only cold, but wet too....enjoy!

UK_TV_CPT Jun 26th 2012 7:47 am

cheers... I've been studying both the weather and exchange rates... at least one is making me smile at the moment ;)

AS my wife is 20 weeks pregnant and we;re shipping a long hair fluffball of a persian cat, both will appreciate a cool break in period before summer comes! She's due in Nov so hopefully she'll miss the heat!

ededed Jun 26th 2012 7:56 am

Originally Posted by UK_TV_CPT (Post 10139374)
AS my wife is 20 weeks pregnant and we;re shipping a long hair fluffball of a persian cat, both will appreciate a cool break in period before summer comes! She's due in Nov so hopefully she'll miss the heat!

Good stuff - I think I posted some advice about moving pets here previously. Have got that particular t-shirt. Shout if you need assistance.

Good luck with the boy - watched Michael McIntyre talking about having kids and leaving the house last night - very true....:D

Alfresco Jun 26th 2012 8:01 am

Good luck with the move! :fingerscrossed: