Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

The what are you drinking thread

The what are you drinking thread

Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

SloJohn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The what are you drinking thread

Thanks for the beer shop link, very interesting. The village in Slovenia where I have my house is famous for apples. I would like to get them interested in cider making as its great fun, easy(ish) and a good activity for the community. I had an old very large cider press in the cellar so I assume it(cider) was made before the supermarket came along.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all

A friend of mine who is married to a guy from near Bled tells me that there's a lot of small scale cider making going on in their area but people tend to make cider for their own consumption rather than selling it. I noticed that Beer Shop Celje has a few English ciders
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

SloJohn is on a distinguished road

True it's all about cost. You can easily pay £2 a bottle if bought while making your own is pence or cents. I made my own cider press and apples are free. Just need to spend the time and try not to upset her indoors with a kitchen full of fermenting demijohns. I could scale up production if I had more apples. Friend in France makes 400 litres a year!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Having entered my 60's , I've concluded that my years of drinking better be well&truly over and have conscientiosly given up on all alkie-stuff !
Not easy to observe such strict , self-imposed rules , when you have practiced serious boozing , often to random or regular excess , since your early-mid 20's , in all formats , large variety of tipples , on 4 continents ( or call it 5 , if you count Middle East as separate entity from the rest of Asia and Africa ) and you developed assorted acquired tastes, like Campari , JaegerMeister , Fernet Branca , Pernod , Phillipines vanilla Rhum , G&Ts aplenty , single malts , Armagnac , Calvados...THE best beers in the whole wide world ( Belgian !!! hundreds of ! ) , wines of South Africa , Chile , DownUnda , KiwieLand , Italy , Espana , SLO-Riviera , La Belle France incl. much Champagne Brut ...to a Connoisseurship level , I could boast .
N.B My liver , oesophagus , stomach , rest of the body & brain are reportedly all O.K. , fine & better than should reasonably be expected , so I was Lucky !
Now I have , very easily , lost over 2 st , my complexion is better , I sleep better and get complimented on improvement to my daily appearance .
In addition to which : I also feel & function SO MUCH better after months of total absenteesm , that I whole wheartedly recommend it to any & all who had the supreme patience to read this here .
Take from this honesty , what you wish to & when ( or : Not ? )!
Cheerz ,
R.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:10 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Everything in moderation Ray, everything in moderation ........ otherwise it would be a boring old life if we cut out everything that is (supposedly) bad for you
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:14 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Merlot...sounds snooty but its 5 liters for $15.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:16 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Merlot...sounds snooty but its 5 liters for $15.
We get a litre of good Spanish Fin Del Rio red wine here for €1.90
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:36 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We get a litre of good Spanish Fin Del Rio red wine here for €1.90
Never had a Spanish wine so I couldn't compare. Price per is similar however.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

...Time & place in your life , for everything , worthwhile or less so !?
Having just written that , I really used to much enjoy my reds daily , with & after meals : Cab. Sauvignons , Bordeaux , St.Emilion , Barolo , Rioja/Tempranillo , Californians...
Then again , some say : Good God above doesn't dish you Anything , that you can't handle ...
I leave it at that , for now !
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

Agree with the moderation part, I did only have 3 cans last night and despite living in Slovenia I must be the only none wine drinker.

This proves to be a point of frustration with Slovenian friends/relatives, they must have got me to try over 30 different wines and still I just don't like the taste
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

In SLO , beer-wise , I usually didn't mind cold Zlatorog and even Union was O.K. , sort-of , on hot Portoroz days ( much better than CRO Zhuja , anyway ! ) ; for real stuff , I recommend Leffe , Stella Artois , Jupiler , Hoegarden , Brugse Witte , 1664 , Warsteiner , Pilsner-Urquell , Staropramen..
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Ray51
In SLO , beer-wise , I usually didn't mind cold Zlatorog and even Union was O.K. , sort-of , on hot Portoroz days ( much better than CRO Zhuja , anyway ! ) ; for real stuff , I recommend Leffe , Stella Artois , Jupiler , Hoegarden , Brugse Witte , 1664 , Warsteiner , Pilsner-Urquell , Staropramen..
Errr ... real stuff is only found in the UK
Apart from the choice of bottled beers, the "real" ale can be found in places like THIS where I pop in from time to time
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

Having entered my 60's , I've concluded that my years of drinking better be well&truly over and have conscientiosly given up on all alkie-stuff !
Not easy to observe such strict , self-imposed rules , when you have practiced serious boozing , often to random or regular excess , since your early-mid 20's , in all formats , large variety of tipples , on 4 continents ( or call it 5 , if you count Middle East as separate entity from the rest of Asia and Africa ) and you developed assorted acquired tastes, like Campari , JaegerMeister , Fernet Branca , Pernod , Phillipines vanilla Rhum , G&Ts aplenty , single malts , Armagnac , Calvados...THE best beers in the whole wide world ( Belgian !!! hundreds of ! ) , wines of South Africa , Chile , DownUnda , KiwieLand , Italy , Espana , SLO-Riviera , La Belle France incl. much Champagne Brut ...to a Connoisseurship level , I could boast .
N.B My liver , oesophagus , stomach , rest of the body & brain are reportedly all O.K. , fine & better than should reasonably be expected , so I was Lucky !
Now I have , very easily , lost over 2 st , my complexion is better , I sleep better and get complimented on improvement to my daily appearance .
In addition to which : I also feel & function SO MUCH better after months of total absenteesm , that I whole wheartedly recommend it to any & all who had the supreme patience to read this here .
Take from this honesty , what you wish to & when ( or : Not ? )!
Cheerz ,
R.
Well done you Its been thirteen years since I had my last one
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Heartfelt Congrats , I hope it wasn't too difficult , in yr case ?
Since I've been practising sobriety happily & successfully , I have attempted to carry the message to others , albeit : with hardly any success , for now , sadly - I get ridiculed instead , incl. some of those near & dear to me .
What are your experiences , after yr 13 years , in the same regard ?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

Heartfelt Congrats , I hope it wasn't too difficult , in yr case ?
Since I've been practising sobriety happily & successfully , I have attempted to carry the message to others , albeit : with hardly any success , for now , sadly - I get ridiculed instead , incl. some of those near & dear to me .
What are your experiences , after yr 13 years , in the same regard ?
Hi Ray, I take the live and let live attitude, it really is that simple for me.
I find the best thing is to lead by example.

As I sit here my lovely is enjoying a Lasko .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.